Tank stands - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:31 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Tank stands

I currently have a 60 gallon tank setup. I'd really like to go down to something a bit smaller of ease of maintenance such as a 33 or 40 long. Unfortunately, that means I have to purchase an entirely new stand since 33/40L tanks are 48x12 and the 60 gallon stand is 36x18. The 36x18 stand is an actual built stand from somebody the LFS uses to craft stands together and is actually quite nice, but was very pricey at 200+ dollars. I know the tank is secure though since it pretty much fits down inside the top of the stand, rather than sitting directly on top of it.

I really don't want to go through all the trouble of getting another expensive stand like that. Petco currently has their line of metal stands for a 48x12 tank for 60 bucks that from what I remember when I had one for a 40B, was very sturdy. My only concern is that the design renders the tank to sit on top of the stand. I'm sure if you pushed on it, it wouldn't move with a 33/40L tank on top of it. I have a soon to be 10 month old and I'm concerned with him getting into stuff soon. I'm still kinda concerned for his safety if I purchase a stand of this design.

Is there any way to secure the tank down or to the wall? And also, do you think this would be an issue with a filled up tank being pushed or pulled somehow and coming off the stand?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 01:30 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
fish tanks and kids. scary proposition.

just buy the stand, sleep better

ALSO, I don't worry so much of the tank coming off the stand as much as the whole thing toppling over! So, to ensure they don't get to pull on it at all, instead of securing the stand and the tank, I approached it from a different angle and somewhat borrowed the idea from a friend. this is going to look ugly but hey, kids > plants > fish. or is it kids > ( plants || fish ) .. either way. kids are the biggest deal here

https://www.amazon.com/Evenflo-Versa...28B238NY86J0NW

you can arrange the "fence" around the fish tank instead of around a play area if you wish. or fence around your electronics (as my friend did), whatever you don't want them to get into.

too grey?

https://www.amazon.com/Superyard-Col...CD94N889A&th=1

too boring?

https://www.amazon.com/Kidzone-Playp...ateway&sr=8-19

you get the idea.

https://www.amazon.com/Dwinguler-Cas.../dp/B011137BK6
this last one is nice because they happen to make a mat that fits it perfectly. not cheap tho.

OR...

I also set up one of these in front of the tank

https://www.amazon.com/SONGMICS-Leat...=ATVPDKIKX0DER

for .. err.. viewing purposes..
keeps em from going close to the tank when they're too young.

but it doesn't mean they can't get around to the sides unless you have something else that prevents them from getting to it. I guess this is where a "smaller" area for the fish tank works in favor for the situation.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by ipkiss; 05-06-2019 at 01:46 PM. Reason: more emphasis on toppling over!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 02:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

The tank will not slide off the shelf but kids do climb and that means lots of things need to be attached to the wall. Think "earthquake ready"?
Even more important than the tank is the furniture like chest of drawers, etc. but the stand can be dealt with in the same way. Of course watching/care/ training are step one but then it only takes a few seconds to kill a kid if we don't do our duty, so assume you may fail step one and two and go for full time protection by adding simple tie-downs to every potential hazard with the tank being one.
Plumbers tape is the common name for a metal strap with holes meant for hanging pipes but it works well for making a good sturdy attachment to the back of things and the wall. If a stud can be found in the wall, a good long screw will hold but I often go for toggle bolts as taking less effort to find a stud.
Like this but you can find it in much shorter:
https://www.lowes.com/pd/AMERICAN-VA...r-Iron/3223483
Cut it, paint it, mount it, and tell the kid about it when he is a teenager and stops climbing the walls!
I do rental property and I DO NOT want them killing kids on my watch! So don't forget the stove, while at the project.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 04:17 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
I had the same worries with my son. He'll be 10 Wednesday. I have 2 55s on metal stands. He never did climb on them. When he tried we redirected him or held him up to look at the top tank.
I have the 55 on top and a 40L on the bottom. He would lay in front of that tank watching for long periods of time. Only once did he ever put a toy car into the tank.

It is pretty easy to drill a couple of holes for screws into the angle and secure it to the wall though. Just use some plumber's strapping.
It might still be helpful to have a small tank on the bottom he could look at instead of trying to climb to see the top tank. I also encouraged him to look at the tank whenever he wanted. He would follow the fish with his fingers on the glass. Worked for me.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-06-2019, 07:19 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
I had the same worries with my son. He'll be 10 Wednesday. I have 2 55s on metal stands. He never did climb on them. When he tried we redirected him or held him up to look at the top tank.
I have the 55 on top and a 40L on the bottom. He would lay in front of that tank watching for long periods of time. Only once did he ever put a toy car into the tank.

It is pretty easy to drill a couple of holes for screws into the angle and secure it to the wall though. Just use some plumber's strapping.
It might still be helpful to have a small tank on the bottom he could look at instead of trying to climb to see the top tank. I also encouraged him to look at the tank whenever he wanted. He would follow the fish with his fingers on the glass. Worked for me.

I would also suggest just putting a step in front of the tank for him. Just leave it there and he would have no reason to climb the tank stand.

Tim

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:08 AM
Planted Member

I have some rather adventurous kids. Currently a 5yr and 1.5yr old. Only have a couple of pics of the proofing I built to prevent the fall down the stairs scenario. I couldnt see spending the money on some of the flimsy gates that are out there (some arent bad but most arent great).

Mine dont look great but they are temporary each time I built them. There were more built that enclosed certain living areas. Once the kids are a year old they learn to open the latches so I put those dog leash clasp on them. This works till there about 3 or so. By then they "somewhat" learn what not to do lol.

Haha defeat

This was an old dog run fence, I used some half inch square tubing and welded it up. Just a gas stove so no need for a gate. Primered to cover up the bad welds from a quick setup. Only had a day to block some stairs, the fire place, and encircle a living room.

Not pretty by any means but gets the job done for the first few years.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:17 AM
Planted Member

Any reason you can't go back down to a 40 Breeder? Or is your aim for less aquarium floor space?

I only mention it because you could use the same stand since they are the same footprint dimensions as your 60G.

I have MTS
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 03:50 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
I would also suggest just putting a step in front of the tank for him. Just leave it there and he would have no reason to climb the tank stand.

Tim
Yeah but the 40 was already there. Those tanks were setup 10 years before his arrival.

And I can't think of any reason that bottom shelf has to be empty.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 04:09 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
Yeah but the 40 was already there. Those tanks were setup 10 years before his arrival.

And I can't think of any reason that bottom shelf has to be empty.
That was meant more for the OP than you.

Tim Sapp
Frisco TX
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 06:34 PM
Planted Member

I have a 2 year old and a 3 week old (typing this one handed while the later sleeps on my chest). I am also building a stand for a 120 gallon tank and I am very concerned about child proofing. I will be running a sump so it will be important my kiddos cant get any access to the area below the tank.
i
I currently have a 5 gallon sitting on my kitchen counter that my 2 year old adores. She spends some time every day looking at it. She also is full capable (and does) push a chair up to it, climb the chair, and then tap the glass and hit the tank. We try not to let her do this but it happens. The tank has never budged even a millimeter which is not surprising as its still quite heavy filled up even though its only a 5 gallon.

I assume you are not going the canister filter route since you didn't mention keeping the kiddo away from that. This would be my concern since my daughter would love to open up those clips given 20 seconds of opportunity.

As others have said just buy some strapping or metal brackets. Find a stud and screw the stand to the wall. Same as you would do for a bookcase. If you plan on having a canister filter buy a closed stand.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 07:58 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackheart View Post

I really don't want to go through all the trouble of getting another expensive stand like that. Petco currently has their line of metal stands for a 48x12 tank for 60 bucks that from what I remember when I had one for a 40B, was very sturdy. My only concern is that the design renders the tank to sit on top of the stand. I'm sure if you pushed on it, it wouldn't move with a 33/40L tank on top of it. I have a soon to be 10 month old and I'm concerned with him getting into stuff soon. I'm still kinda concerned for his safety if I purchase a stand of this design.

Is there any way to secure the tank down or to the wall? And also, do you think this would be an issue with a filled up tank being pushed or pulled somehow and coming off the stand?
I can tell you I have a single 40 breeder on one of these and there's no way to move it if it's at least 1/2 full of water: https://www.caitec.com/our-brands/titaneze/

I have them for smaller tanks too and a 10 gallon can be shifted, a 20 is harder. A small child souldn't be able to move a 30+ gallon tank off one of these because I can't even do that

I would put something on the bottom if it's a double stand just so he doesn't try to step up on it and agree with the strapping idea (https://www.amazon.com/Hangman-Anti-...12938525&psc=1)

I actually know someone who lost a child when the child pulled a TV on top of herself so I would strongly encourage anyone to strap ANYTHING to the wall that could ever possibly fall on a small child even if the chances are non-existent.

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 05-07-2019, 11:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

With kids it is often easy to miss doing the safety thing. One that is often missed is now required for new installs but they are still often left off. You know the handy towel hanging on the front of kitchen stoves? Those are real hazard if you have a pot of hot water or grease on the stove as they can make a really handy handle for the small folks to grab and pull the door down. From there they can crawl up and the combo of good leverage from the open door and a stove not attached to prevent tipping.
Two options here. Do the work or live forever knowing that you COULD have prevented the disaster.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode