Brackish water... are these snails doing what I think they are? - The Planted Tank Forum
 3Likes
  • 1 Post By Blacktetra
  • 1 Post By livebearerlove
  • 1 Post By livebearerlove

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:08 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (0/0%)
Brackish water... are these snails doing what I think they are?

So.... if this is actually happening?... I have brackish water......
Question: if a tiger nerite and a zebra nerite make sexy time.... what do the offspring look like?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-25 at 9.07.39 AM.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	240.0 KB
ID:	880993  

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
The offspring require a host of various conditions to survive to adulthood where they resemble snails.
You can google them, but I'm under the impression most Nerites are not captive bred because they have a larval type stage after hatching where they feed on microscopic algae as they freely float around. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it. Highly likely you'll get eggs, but I don't think I've ever heard of captive breeding with any real success. Sorry to be a bearer of disappointment.

Christian, husband, brother, friend, hobbyist.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2019, 04:12 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blacktetra View Post
The offspring require a host of various conditions to survive to adulthood where they resemble snails.
You can google them, but I'm under the impression most Nerites are not captive bred because they have a larval type stage after hatching where they feed on microscopic algae as they freely float around. I could be wrong but that's how I remember it. Highly likely you'll get eggs, but I don't think I've ever heard of captive breeding with any real success. Sorry to be a bearer of disappointment.
At this point.... its 4 hours of the tiger 'backpacking' on the zebra.. that has got to be a heavy load!

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)
10 gallon midwest bluffs I 10 gallon freshwater coral I 15 gallon custom I 2.5 gallon female tank I Vases I 7 gallon fry I all these critters to feed critters

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 03:11 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
At this point.... its 4 hours of the tiger 'backpacking' on the zebra.. that has got to be a heavy load!
Off topic, but in grade school we did an experiment to see how many times their bodyweight garden snails could pull. We placed weights on a plastic yogurt lid which was scotch tape to the snail shells.
They were surprisingly strong. I can't recall the number, but maybe 50 times their bodyweight? More? Muscle related physics get weird at smaller scales. Ants are a good example. I think they can lift hundred(s?) of times their bodyweight. I'd be happy to bench press 1.5 times my weight. Much less strong enough to lift small cars. (Hundreds of times my body weight)
livebearerlove likes this.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 10:44 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Off topic, but in grade school we did an experiment to see how many times their bodyweight garden snails could pull. We placed weights on a plastic yogurt lid which was scotch tape to the snail shells.
They were surprisingly strong. I can't recall the number, but maybe 50 times their bodyweight? More? Muscle related physics get weird at smaller scales. Ants are a good example. I think they can lift hundred(s?) of times their bodyweight. I'd be happy to bench press 1.5 times my weight. Much less strong enough to lift small cars. (Hundreds of times my body weight)
Entirely off topic, but interesting post! Here are the top strongest animals according to one website:
  1. Dung Beetle. A dung beetle is not only the world's strongest insect but also the strongest animal on the planet compared to body weight. They can pull 1,141 times their own body weight. This is the equivalent of an average person pulling six double-decker buses full of people. Now thatís strong!
  2. Rhinoceros Beetle. Rhinoceros Beetles can lift something 850 times their own weight. ..To put this into perspective, if a human had the strength of the rhinoceros beetle, it would be able to lift a 65 ton object. If the mighty elephant had equal strength to the rhinoceros beetle it would be able to carry 850 elephants on its back.
  3. Leafcutter ant. ... Tiny leafcutter ants can lift and carry in their jaws something 50 times their own body weight of about 500mg. Thatís the same as a human lifting a truck with its teeth
  4. Gorilla. ... A gorilla can lift something 2,000kg (as heavy as 30 humans), over 10 times their body weight
  5. Eagle. ...An eagle is the strongest bird, able to lift something four times its own body weight during flight.
Blacktetra likes this.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 12:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

fun facts, though I find the Eagle one the most interesting considering the difficulty birds have with lifting much weight when they fly. A trout is one thing but that sounds very impressive.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
fun facts, though I find the Eagle one the most interesting considering the difficulty birds have with lifting much weight when they fly. A trout is one thing but that sounds very impressive.
Imagine if it wiggled?

Last year a small dog was grabbed by a bald eagle on a leash in front of my house (I live in the city proper- but in front of a lake). I was astonished!
I have a vintage CJ7 with a very impressive lift/engine swap/restoration. The suspension is soft to allow flex when rock climbing, etc. Driving down the highway on a windy day I need to do two things: 1) make sure all cargo is even from side to side 2) take extreme precision to ensure I dont catch a gust!

I can only imagine that is what a bird must go through... elements can easily dictate the success of carrying massive cargo.
Blacktetra likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode