Can you hipnotize fish? Racy post warning - The Planted Tank Forum
 11Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 04:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Can you hipnotize fish? Racy post warning

I have a gorgeous female who is the biggest bully and im trying to breed her with a stunning male who is doing the wiggle dance every 10 seconds... that is, when he is not being chased down by her (she bites any fish in the tank constantly)

I added lots of plants, tank is perfect parameters, live food- except she terrorizes everyone in the tank....

Is there a way to subdue her?

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-17-2019 at 06:51 PM. Reason: To please
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Female what? It would be helpful to know what fish species they are.

I know of no way to hypnotize or subdue a fish to permit breeding if she is unwilling.

Dee
Eheim Pimpette #270
Eheim Pro II 2028; Classics Series -2215, 2217, 2260, 2262; Pro 2229 Wet/Dry
post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 05:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by deeda View Post
Female what? It would be helpful to know what fish species they are.

I know of no way to hypnotize or subdue a fish to permit breeding if she is unwilling.
Hybrid Endler. I need her to go with this guy.. she bred before with a full bred guppy accidentally so I guess she prefers larger males lol? So instead of breeding she perpetually attacks the other females in the tank who had no problem gettin busy with him. Never had a fish this, perplexing.

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

This post is so bizarre.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:28 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
This post is so bizarre.
Yes it is... I just need to know if there is something that will help the situation. Fish pheramones? is there one that calms them down? I put in cat pheramones once we moved to calm down her aggressive behaviour. Do they have the same for fish?

'Fish rely on pheromones to trigger social responses and to coordinate reproductive behavior in males and females. '
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:35 PM
Wannabe Guru

Its not the question itself- its the way you ask it.
Raciness, xanax, and rape do not all belong in the same post. It undermines the whole "we are speaking of fish here."
AguaScape and ReeferRob like this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 06:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Fixed the post. But the question still remains.
post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (6/100%)
I'd be inclined to put just the pair in a tank alone for about 30 days. If he hasn't impregnated her by then, there's something wrong.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-17-2019, 07:25 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'll take a shot at the OP's original question. No.
Discusluv likes this.
post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

So as it turns out there IS something you can add to the water to calm the fish down.
I spoke to the university of Minnesota- there is a 'hormone' that calm fry during transport (for restocking freshwater- made from tilapia). I inquired as to whether or not I can purchase it. They will be sending me more information as it is only available commercially.
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 01:51 PM
Wannabe Guru

So, if I follow this whole thing, you want to use a hormone to calm a fish down to help induce breeding.

Isn't breeding usually induced by hormones causing the fish to get excited?

Blue Ridge Reef has a very sensible suggestion. Have you considered trying his advice?
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
So, if I follow this whole thing, you want to use a hormone to calm a fish down to help induce breeding.

Isn't breeding usually induced by hormones causing the fish to get excited?

Blue Ridge Reef has a very sensible suggestion. Have you considered trying his advice?
Yes, I always thought it was to induce breeding. But my thoughts were just like with my cat and the pheromone spray to calm her down (in the diffuser, etc) and hoped there was something for fish.,

Not just to breed.... She is so aggressive to everyone (not just him) that she has become an issue in the tank. She is perfectly healthy, in better shape than I could imagine- fastest and biggest with a ferocious appetite like she is part shark. Therefore she has become a bully.

I get near the tank, she bolts (while others come for food) then steals the food and bites the other fish.... 24/7 attacks all the other fish, refuses to breed unless with a larger male (which defeats the purpose as I do selective breeding and she causes total mayhem in the tank). Since she is so large, I plan to mover her to the new tank when it is done cycling.

So she stays now in my quarantine tank with the male and two other females and has been there for a couple weeks. But she terrorizes them and I dont have another tank (she is too big for the other ones as they are already stocked).

I was hoping to find a solution to calm her down
I took a photo: the other fish hide from her... and she does look like a shark!:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5335.JPG
Views:	16
Size:	112.6 KB
ID:	880671  

post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 05:02 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I have a very stud muffin of an endler that I could ship to you for breeding purposes. Believe me she won't be able to resist him, but he requires a very good picture before he makes the trip in a plastic bag. This is done with dogs all the time.
ipkiss and AguaScape like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
"you need not a PhD to be a good farmer or aquascaper. Elbow grease likely will serve you better"
- Tom Barr
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Controlled aggression, perhaps what you need? It's a real trick to keep aggression at the level we want but does it sound possible that she would behave different if she had more to worry about than beating others? How bold and how much do you want to do this is going to come into place but just a suggestion. Perhaps a bigger fish to avoid her thinking of fighting them but one mild enough to not be a problem in itself?
I'm thinking of doing a gamble with something like a sword, molly, etc. that is big enough to not be picked on but not likely to do the picking. No matter how mean we get, there is almost always somebody meaner and bigger! Perhaps she needs a reminder?
post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 04-18-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Controlled aggression, perhaps what you need? It's a real trick to keep aggression at the level we want but does it sound possible that she would behave different if she had more to worry about than beating others? How bold and how much do you want to do this is going to come into place but just a suggestion. Perhaps a bigger fish to avoid her thinking of fighting them but one mild enough to not be a problem in itself?
I'm thinking of doing a gamble with something like a sword, molly, etc. that is big enough to not be picked on but not likely to do the picking. No matter how mean we get, there is almost always somebody meaner and bigger! Perhaps she needs a reminder?
That is not a bad idea... honestly its pretty brilliant. Do you think a
Platy would work? it would still be much larger than her... a sword might be a bit too big for my tank currently until the larger tank is all cycled.
Also:
Guppies are Poecilia reticulata
Endlers are Poecilia wingei (stupid ending name)
Mollies are Poecilia sphenops

Platies are Xiphophorus maculatus
Swordtails are Xiphophorus helleri
I dont need any mutant babies! in case this does solve the problem. Are platies decently calm?

Giving back creates a virtuous cycle that makes everyone more successful (as long as they cycle!)

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode