New High Tech 26G Office Tank, Need Some Advice and Suggestions - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By Grown Ocean

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 10:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
New High Tech 26G Office Tank, Need Some Advice and Suggestions

Iím setting up my largest tank to date in my office and need a little advice to make sure I have everything dialed in. Tank is a 26g Cobalt C-Vue all in one with a large sump filled with seeded filter media from an established tank. Running a Finnex planted plus 24/7 8-10 hrs/day at max setting. CO2 is a pressurized set up using a CO2 arts regulator and blasting at 2bps to help the plants get established with intentions to dial it back a bit in a week or so. Substrate is fluval stratum and Carib sea natural sand. Current plants are Monte Carlo (purchased on /r/aqua warp), S. Repens and Dwarf Hair grass (tissue cultures). This is my first time with MC but Iíve had success with DHG and S Repens in the past. Tank is seeded with Nilocg root tabs and I dose Nilocg Thrive 3ish times/week 5ish pumps each dose. There are a few small marbles/pebbles weighing down a few stubborn pieces of MC that will be removed in a week or so once they root for more firmly. CO2 drop checker and cobalt heater are on the way. On to the questions:

Is the finnex planted plus 24/7 sufficient lighting for this tank? Iím more than happy to supplement but I donít want to over do it as Iíve had balance and algae issues in previous tanks.

Iím wanting to stock either red neon rainbows(pseudomugli luminatus) or Ornate glass tetras(Trochilocharax ornatus) as a mid level shoaling/dither fish, either one or two Rams or Apistos (can I have two? What species would you recommend?) and possibly a small school or Pygmy Cories(would they be two much? Are they compatible with the other livestock?), as well as shrimps and possibly nerites. Any other live stock suggestions?

Any other general advice? Iím I missing anything?

Thanks in advance for reading. If there is interest Iíll keep you guys updated on the tank and provide some better pictures as I progress.

rj55021 and Cinnamonamon like this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 02:37 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Actually need some additional help if anyone ends up in here. Came into the office this morning and found the unmistakable early signs of a nasty cyanobacteria infection. Some of the sand, dragon stone, and most frustratingly, MC had a thin coating of blue/green nastiness. I manually removed all I could before my work day started and did a 20ish% water change. I have not dosed thrive today and have turned the lights off completely but still have the CO2 running. I could really use some advice on the best way to deal with this before it gets out of control. I'm not opposed to nuking the tank with an antibacterial as I currently have no live stock and restarting the cycle if that's the best approach. I've dealt with most other forms of algae but this is my first time with cyano and I would love to get some feedback. Thanks in advance!
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used hydrogen peroxide to deal with my outbreak. It can be used in small doses safely with livestock. You could go higher since you don't have livestock. I only did it once and do not remember the concentration so I don't want to give you a bad number. If you Google it you will find lots of information on how to go about it.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode