Going Glass!? does this all fit together? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 12:23 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going Glass!? does this all fit together?

UPDATE: my post has changed below...
----
I am looking at a 7.5-10 gallon aquarium for a very specific area in my office (long countertop, in the corner).
I looked at were in fact like the Spec V... but I really dislike the filtration (I have the spec III and cant stand it) and the lighting is obsolete as it has a 'white/blue' color (I prefer my ONF nano lighting).
Size: looking at 17L, 11D, 12H (but the exterior tank filtration could mean i have to go smaller if it sticks out, ie a canister filter, or hob)

Question: Since this new tank will be fry heavy, I would like to have a sponge filter but it will be a planted tank- is there a way to make it more design oriented? so it really looks classy?

Being a designer, I cant stand bunches of chords, equipment, etc.

Thanks in advance
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 7.31.59 AM.jpg
Views:	11
Size:	175.6 KB
ID:	880343  

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-11-2019 at 05:01 PM. Reason: Clarify and add image
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:34 PM
Wannabe Guru

I'd suggest a small Aquaclear HOB with a pre-filter.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
I'd suggest a small Aquaclear HOB with a pre-filter.
That is exactly what I was thinking.... I have a HOB with prefilter on my fluval edge. Its fully encapsulated, so its a sleek design. However the flvual edge is a nightmare for cleaning/aquascaping and dont even get me started on trying to catch fish!!!!∞

So im trying to find a way to 'disguise it' so its not obvious. And of course that means I need a smaller tank (the 7.5 gal instead of the 10)

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

I can however go through the counter if needed (where the chair is as the electical plug is down there anyways). So I could do a canister filter bolted to the wall under the counter and run the tubes up through the counter.
Im not accustomed to futzing with filters, I usually buy them, build aqwauriums, and care for fish. Not this detailed stuff.
I just wantt oget the maximum tank in that space without obstructing the window, etc with a clean design. hmmmm

So who do I tank to to figure out setting up JARDLI Plant Aquarium Glass Poppy Pipe Outflow and Lily Pipe Inflow, etc type thing? with a canister? how do I know what size?

Im looking at the Penn Plax Curved Corner Glass Aquarium Kit (but toss the light, and the filter) but the 10 gallon seems perfect?

Ugh, help.

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-11-2019 at 02:35 PM. Reason: question
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
You also could plant it heavy. Low fish load. Do water changes. No filter required.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:38 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
You also could plant it heavy. Low fish load. Do water changes. No filter required.
The bioload of endler fry is high... that is what this tank is for (they eat a 'dust' home made fry food that really needs a filter). I do very detailed/trimmed tanks.... not planted heavy in that sense..... Its just not my style. My other fry tank that is still growing out- but its a lot of anubais, monte carlo, mosses, etc. I will do a much similar scape in the 10 gallon... but with that type of food, a filter is pretty nessessary:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_5340.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	880371  

post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:32 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Officially torn by canister type (confused)....
1) Filter for a 10 gallon with a lot of stones?
2) poppy, spin pipe or lily pipe? oh goodness im down the rabbits hole....

I did find this site.... https://fishlab.com/lily-pipe/
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 04:48 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Am I doing this right? I know there was discussion of tube width, etc... Amazon 'recommended' these together as a purchase.

I have not decided between the two tanks.... but one is less money, but similar times.
Then I need to figure out lighting.

Some people said that the canister filter 10 of the zoo med can not be placed below??? is that true?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Screen Shot 2019-04-11 at 12.13.28 PM.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	235.2 KB
ID:	880379  

Last edited by livebearerlove; 04-11-2019 at 06:07 PM. Reason: add lighting
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:08 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Am I doing this right? I know there was discussion of tube width, etc... Amazon 'recommended' these together as a purchase.

I have not decided between the two tanks.... but one is less money, but similar times.
Then I need to figure out lighting.

Some people said that the canister filter of the zoo med can not be placed below??? is that true?
Maybe look at the OASE Indoor Aquatics Filtosmart 60?

For lighting I like the Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Nano or Finnex Planted+ Nano depending on how much light you need or if you want the bluetooth.

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

When in doubt, I go cheap and that often means DIY as I can use so many things and throw them out at low cost if it turns out wrong. So my suggestion?
If you like sponge filters but not the "look", how about a sponge but hidden with a cover. Water doesn't have to flow through in any special direction so a plastic like possibly a milkjug, cut down to a shape that fits and then super glue a bunch of plants and/or substrate on, to hide the cover. Recommend keeping the plants to things like Java fern on the cover, so that it can be lifted totally out to access the sponge. Not viney things that tend to grow out and attach to the rest of the tank and have to be cut to remove.
Sand/gravel can be stuck into fresh silicone to make a "portable" hillside.
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 06:44 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJBTEXAS View Post
Maybe look at the OASE Indoor Aquatics Filtosmart 60?

For lighting I like the Fluval Plant 3.0 LED Nano or Finnex Planted+ Nano depending on how much light you need or if you want the bluetooth.
Thanks! I looked up the OASE, but it says:
Product description

'Created for convenient placement next to or behind the aquarium.'

I want to put it under the aquarium. Does the 60 mean up to 60gallons? I only have 10....
Will it be strong enough to go up 11 inches?
post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:05 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
When in doubt, I go cheap and that often means DIY as I can use so many things and throw them out at low cost if it turns out wrong. So my suggestion?
If you like sponge filters but not the "look", how about a sponge but hidden with a cover.
Sand/gravel can be stuck into fresh silicone to make a "portable" hillside.
I remember ADA prep 6 years ago.... someone said to me 'you tie all your moss!? why not use superglue!?' I was dumbfounded... I couldnt believe it. Hmmm..... possibility for modification is a good idea. After all its not like I do anything normal to date, ha!
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
I want to put it under the aquarium. Does the 60 mean up to 60gallons? I only have 10....
Will it be strong enough to go up 11 inches?
OASE says it's for up to 20 gallons. I have the AZOO External Power Filter running a 7.5 gallon cube and it sits at about 40" below the water surface on the tank. The flow is reduced but it's still more than plenty of that tank size. The AZOO, Zoo Med, Finnex and OASE are all extremely similar.

All that being said, I actually don't like these smaller canister filters. They are a pain to prime when you clean them. That's why I thought the OASE looked nice with it's "self priming", though I don't know how well it works. You could also save some money and skip the glassware for a while. Gives you something to upgrade later.

Right after I rescaped it.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:28 PM
Planted Tank Guru

I will also throw in that I hate the smallest canisters as they have no way to disconnect the tubing when cleaning the filter and that means pulling the in and out completely out of the tank and on the Zoomed 501, I hate the latching system. Just doesn't fit my fingers or something and I now have two "closet queens"to store. I got into them in trading around but when I look at the prices, it really does make the somewhat larger like Sunsun/Aquatop, etc. fit my plans better. The Zoomed 501 does need to be close to the tank level.
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 08:40 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
I will also throw in that I hate the smallest canisters as they have no way to disconnect the tubing when cleaning the filter and that means pulling the in and out completely out of the tank and on the Zoomed 501, I hate the latching system.
This is very true. I had some of the Eheim quick disconnects that I could use which made it a lot easier.

When it comes to simplicity, I think HOB is your best option. Low cost, out of the tank, easy maintenance. Whenever I've tried to make a sponge filter look good in a tank by hiding it, it's always become a pain to clean. I also find most small air pumps to be quite a bit noisier than an Aquaclear 20.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode