New to this whole thing - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 10:43 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New to this whole thing

Hey everyone I am currently planning for a new tank. I have a freshwater ten gallon and a 13 gallon reef. I am looking to get an aquamaxx 57 gallon tank. I want to make the aquascape look peaceful and cool with a lot of plants. I may add a sand waterfall. I am new to the planted sort of tanks. Can you guys help me? Donít really know much about plants... I am going to use a fluval g3 canister filter, fluval co2, and the lighting is to be decided. I donít know what lighting is best for plants. Substrate will probably be dennerle 6 in 1 with sand on top.
Livestock: 5 dwarf Gourami
7 guppies
4 golden algae eaters
1 loach of some kind that I already have (hides all the time, does not do anything)
3 swordtails
3 mollies
2 zig zag eels
6 freshwater clams
6 red eyed tetras
May add more depending on how it is
Tank size is 57 gallons

Still trying to understand everything thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 01:07 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Every answer will depend on your lighting and type you prefer. 57 planted is a big undertaking.
post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:02 PM
Planted Member

How deep are you planning on the sub-straight being? The tank you have is a 2' cube so if you only have 2" of the sub-straight then you are going to have to light the tank down 22'. You want to shoot for a PAR of about 50 at the bottom for the plants that are planted and stay small. I think that is considered high light.

I just bought a new light from Finnex for a 20 gallon long (30 inches), so I have been doing a little research. Their 24" model of the "Planted+ CC 24/7 CRV" series light will only provide a par of around 28 at 22 inches. If you wanted that light you would probably have to use two of them.

Myself I would go with LED but you are going to find many opinions on that. Just like in reefing, the lights make the difference and everyone thinks someone different. My issue with T5 lights is it's going to get harder to find them as the government has mandated no more florescent bulbs. The price is going to skyrocket once the stock pile starts to dwindle.

Tim

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:20 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Your situation is normal! None of us knew what we were doing until we got started, so go for it and it will be a learning game!
But there are some major heartaches which I like to avoid when I start a new hobby and one is spending way too much money on things that turn out to be totally wrong. So I recommend looking for the cheaper more flexible lighting until you get more into knowing what is required. If you are DIY inclined, this can be as simple as using bulbs screwed into a variety of bulbholders as that lets you add,shift or change by buying simple cheap bulbs, rather than replacing fixtures which may cost hundreds of dollars. I still like to be able to change things so I use simple and hide the clutter under wooden canopies. A combo of cheaper tube lights, CFL, and LED are all in my plan. Some, like the CFL in 6500 Kelvin are becoming hard to find but they are also really cheap at times as other folks move to full blown LED fixtures.
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 07:54 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by livebearerlove View Post
Every answer will depend on your lighting and type you prefer. 57 planted is a big undertaking.
yeah I know though I think Iím gonna try. Iím thinking about LED s

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
How deep are you planning on the sub-straight being? The tank you have is a 2' cube so if you only have 2" of the sub-straight then you are going to have to light the tank down 22'. You want to shoot for a PAR of about 50 at the bottom for the plants that are planted and stay small. I think that is considered high light.

I just bought a new light from Finnex for a 20 gallon long (30 inches), so I have been doing a little research. Their 24" model of the "Planted+ CC 24/7 CRV" series light will only provide a par of around 28 at 22 inches. If you wanted that light you would probably have to use two of them.

Myself I would go with LED but you are going to find many opinions on that. Just like in reefing, the lights make the difference and everyone thinks someone different. My issue with T5 lights is it's going to get harder to find them as the government has mandated no more florescent bulbs. The price is going to skyrocket once the stock pile starts to dwindle.

Tim
Do you think a AI prime hd freshwater would work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Your situation is normal! None of us knew what we were doing until we got started, so go for it and it will be a learning game!
But there are some major heartaches which I like to avoid when I start a new hobby and one is spending way too much money on things that turn out to be totally wrong. So I recommend looking for the cheaper more flexible lighting until you get more into knowing what is required. If you are DIY inclined, this can be as simple as using bulbs screwed into a variety of bulbholders as that lets you add,shift or change by buying simple cheap bulbs, rather than replacing fixtures which may cost hundreds of dollars. I still like to be able to change things so I use simple and hide the clutter under wooden canopies. A combo of cheaper tube lights, CFL, and LED are all in my plan. Some, like the CFL in 6500 Kelvin are becoming hard to find but they are also really cheap at times as other folks move to full blown LED fixtures.
Iím not really a DIY guy. Thinking of getting an AI prime hd freshwater led

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-12-2019 at 12:42 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 04:20 PM
Algae Grower

You are likely going to run into some issues with that stocking list.

The eels grow to be several feet long and will make snacks of smaller fish that fit in their mouths. Golden algae eaters also grow fairly large and become territorial as they age. You wouldn't want to keep more than one in a tank and with the rest of your stocking and tank size even that would be inadvisable. Small fish like guppies wouldn't fare well.

I would recommend looking for true siamese algae eaters instead (crossocheilus siamensis). They max out at 6" and are best kept in groups. Most loaches are social fish that do better and are more active when kept in groups. Depending on what type you have adding a few more would be better than the eels.

Dwarf gouramis are also territorial. A male/female pair or 1 male and 2-3 females would be best, if you can find females. They are also susceptible to an incurable disease, Dwarf gourami Iridovirus (DGIV), so make sure you are buying from good stock and quarantining. Alternatively, honey and sparkling gouramis are similar in size and have better temperament when kept in groups.

What type of lighting is best will depend on what sorts of plants you want and how much maintenance you want to do. A tank planted with anubis, java fern, buce, moss, etc doesn't need much light and is easy to maintain while colorful stems will require more regular trimming and a lot more light.
post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsidianRose View Post
You are likely going to run into some issues with that stocking list.

The eels grow to be several feet long and will make snacks of smaller fish that fit in their mouths. Golden algae eaters also grow fairly large and become territorial as they age. You wouldn't want to keep more than one in a tank and with the rest of your stocking and tank size even that would be inadvisable. Small fish like guppies wouldn't fare well.

I would recommend looking for true siamese algae eaters instead (crossocheilus siamensis). They max out at 6" and are best kept in groups. Most loaches are social fish that do better and are more active when kept in groups. Depending on what type you have adding a few more would be better than the eels.

Dwarf gouramis are also territorial. A male/female pair or 1 male and 2-3 females would be best, if you can find females. They are also susceptible to an incurable disease, Dwarf gourami Iridovirus (DGIV), so make sure you are buying from good stock and quarantining. Alternatively, honey and sparkling gouramis are similar in size and have better temperament when kept in groups.

What type of lighting is best will depend on what sorts of plants you want and how much maintenance you want to do. A tank planted with anubis, java fern, buce, moss, etc doesn't need much light and is easy to maintain while colorful stems will require more regular trimming and a lot more light.

Okay I think I will not get the eels then. I actually already have 2 golden algae eaters, though they arenít very big therefore I guess havenít gotten territorial.i think I will look for true Siamese algae eaters then.i was thinking 4 females one male for the dwarf Gourami. I will make sure that they come quarantined and Iíll research more bout the disease. Do you think 1 or 2 AI prime hd s are enough? The tank will be the aquamaxx 57 g cube or deep blue 57 rimless cube both 2 ft long 2ft wide, and 2ft deep

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 11:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Okay on the Not DIY sort! Some it works and others it is a big bore so we need to go the way that works for us, not what some guy on the internet suggests!!!!
And that can also fit on choosing fish as fish do vary, just as people often do. Some seem to be born rowdy,some not, so I tend to go with the general ideas of what fish may do but not totally write off a favored fish just on what they might do. Algae eaters are not one that I find to be a problem even after several years, so I might tend to go with them and look at them more like temporary roomies, rather than long term partners. My fish stay as long as they are agreeable and leave very quickly is they become too much trouble. Roomies, not a wife? I would shy from roomies who might eat the other roomies, though.
That size tank can give a lot more opportunity for things to work as we can also do more to set the tank to favor each group. You've noted how the loaches tend to "disappear" and that can be used to advantage when setting the decor and choosing other fish as many fish do have a preferred space where they spend more of their time, so if we want a fish who likes to hang out near or under a rock, it may be that there is no conflict at all with a group who likes to hang out up high and school together.
I recommend watching how each fish behaves and try to spot how they might like to live. Kind of like there are some city folks who do the condo/apartment thing while others want a yard or not even to see a neighbor!
But I do keep in mind that I'm bigger than they are and I get to choose who stays and who goes.
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 12:05 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotPlantyPlantGuy View Post
Okay I think I will not get the eels then. I actually already have 2 golden algae eaters, though they arenít very big therefore I guess havenít gotten territorial.i think I will look for true Siamese algae eaters then.i was thinking 4 females one male for the dwarf Gourami. I will make sure that they come quarantined and Iíll research more bout the disease. Do you think 1 or 2 AI prime hd s are enough? The tank will be the aquamaxx 57 g cube or deep blue 57 rimless cube both 2 ft long 2ft wide, and 2ft deep

2 AIs would be enough.
You might try instead Radion G4 PRO XR15 (very powerful and customizeable spectrum)
or Kessil A360E TUNA SUN freshwater.
post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
2 AIs would be enough.

You might try instead Radion G4 PRO XR15 (very powerful and customizeable spectrum)

I will look into the radions more

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Okay on the Not DIY sort! Some it works and others it is a big bore so we need to go the way that works for us, not what some guy on the internet suggests!!!!

And that can also fit on choosing fish as fish do vary, just as people often do. Some seem to be born rowdy,some not, so I tend to go with the general ideas of what fish may do but not totally write off a favored fish just on what they might do. Algae eaters are not one that I find to be a problem even after several years, so I might tend to go with them and look at them more like temporary roomies, rather than long term partners. My fish stay as long as they are agreeable and leave very quickly is they become too much trouble. Roomies, not a wife? I would shy from roomies who might eat the other roomies, though.

That size tank can give a lot more opportunity for things to work as we can also do more to set the tank to favor each group. You've noted how the loaches tend to "disappear" and that can be used to advantage when setting the decor and choosing other fish as many fish do have a preferred space where they spend more of their time, so if we want a fish who likes to hang out near or under a rock, it may be that there is no conflict at all with a group who likes to hang out up high and school together.

I recommend watching how each fish behaves and try to spot how they might like to live. Kind of like there are some city folks who do the condo/apartment thing while others want a yard or not even to see a neighbor!

But I do keep in mind that I'm bigger than they are and I get to choose who stays and who goes.

I will thanks
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 01:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
2 AIs would be enough.

The light is already $375 and Iíll need a reef link to control it which would be another $100 right? So thatís $475 or two ai freshwaters which would be $410 with the same control options right?

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-13-2019, 02:38 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (6/100%)
Ok, I'm certainly not a lighting expert. I've been cobbling together crap, trying to put together a decent lighting system for a few years. That being said, I've recently purchased 3 AI Prime Freshwater HD. I've just had them set up for a few days over a 6' long 120g. I don't see why they wouldn't provide decent light coverage on a 24" cube. I've got my lights about 8" off the water and at about 65-70% intensity. I think I have decent coverage from side to side and I feel like I'm going to have enough light now to grow a decent carpet. Of course, with no kind of real measurements, it's still all conjecture on my part. If you went with to AI fixtures how would you space them on a cube tank?
As a side note. The mounting arms and goose necks for these have pretty bad ratings. I'm building my own arms using parts from a hanging kit.
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 03:29 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kubla View Post
Ok, I'm certainly not a lighting expert. I've been cobbling together crap, trying to put together a decent lighting system for a few years. That being said, I've recently purchased 3 AI Prime Freshwater HD. I've just had them set up for a few days over a 6' long 120g. I don't see why they wouldn't provide decent light coverage on a 24" cube. I've got my lights about 8" off the water and at about 65-70% intensity. I think I have decent coverage from side to side and I feel like I'm going to have enough light now to grow a decent carpet. Of course, with no kind of real measurements, it's still all conjecture on my part. If you went with to AI fixtures how would you space them on a cube tank?

As a side note. The mounting arms and goose necks for these have pretty bad ratings. I'm building my own arms using parts from a hanging kit.

I think I am going to get a long tank not a cube. I may try the mounting arms and gooseneck but tell me how you diy one works

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 04-14-2019, 09:46 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (40/100%)
If you can run a reef tank a freshwater planted is easy. Look at the fluvial 3.0 for lighting. Pretty cheap for what you get. Freshwater tanks are easy and lazy compared to a reef tank. Water changes and parameters are not near as important.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode