CO2 Drop checker question - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:19 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
CO2 Drop checker question

So I am looking at adding CO2 to my big tank, a 150 tall. While looking I found a CO2 Drop Checker from Nilocg that has the 4dkh solution with it. I am assuming that anything below 4dkh will show blue and anything above will be yellow.

What if my values for dkh and dgh are already high?

Here are the results of my last test. Yes, I know that our water is hard. I am thinking about mixing some RO water to get some of the levels down.

Hi Ph test: 8.2
Kh: 8 Drops (~142 ppm)
GH: 16-17 drops (~284.8 ppm)

In the mean time, would the drop checker actually do me any good with this water?

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 06:47 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
The drop checker doesn't test the ph/kh of your water.
It is used to estimate more or less how much co2 is in your aquarium by how much the ph drops when the co2 in your aquarium is outgassed into the drop checker.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 08:00 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Your carbonate hardness is a bit on the high side. General hardness is quite high but, for most tank inhabitants, that's not as critical. It's possible to build up a nice tank working with water with those parameters. Your pH is actually low for that much carbonate hardness; your water probably wasn't fully equilibrated with air when you tested. Or you were out of the reliable range of your pH test.

As Quesenek said, the drop checker doesn't directly measure the pH in your tank. It measures how much CO2 is in your water by seeing how much the CO2 lowers the pH in the drop checker solution. The test solution in your drop checker really should be around 4dkH, as that ensures that it will be a cheery emerald green when your tank CO2 is about right. Higher dkH in your drop checker actually means a bluer solution while lower dKH means a yellower solution. This moves the green point to a higher CO2 concentration for harder drop checker solution (your CO2 will be too high when the checker is emerald green) and to a lower CO2 concentrain for softer drop checker solution (your CO2 will be too low when the checker is emerald green.)

If you use your tank water in your drop checker as a stopgap while you wait for the 4dkH solution to arrive, all it will tell you is that your CO2 is too high (by being any color but deep blue.) That's not useless.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode