"Wild Caught" Sun Bleached Wood for Tank? - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 03:34 PM
Plant Lover

PTrader: (0/0%)
Koslany, I live in NE also, have acres of woods I wander and many old apple trees, poplar, alder and birch (and very little black walnut or oak, but of course much maple). You use apple, poplar, birch, or alder? I may scout for some that I can use in future tanks. Was considering doing the same for suitable small rocks for hardscaping, because paying for dragon stone seems a bit crazy. Of course I'd want something completely inert. Maybe rotting of wood is a concern, as JJ09 notes?

29 gallon, pH controlled CO2, Current USA + Pro LED, Eco-complete, Eheim Classic.

20L gallon, same configuration with HOB filter, suffering from tank size envy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 08:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
My understanding is that the wood, no matter the type or origin, will rot and break down in the tank over time, however different pieces and different types of wood take longer than others. This is of course beyond the aspect of wood that could potentially be poisonous for the fish or plants.

As for my personal experience with driftwood overall, I have none. So for the wood types you mentiond "dang" I have no experience. This journal is my experience with driftwood, I just really hope My plants are fine with it, though I'm sure they will be. I'm probably only going to use the smaller pieces anyway honestly.
dang likes this.
post #18 of 19 (permalink) Old 05-12-2019, 09:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dang View Post
Koslany, I live in NE also, have acres of woods I wander and many old apple trees, poplar, alder and birch (and very little black walnut or oak, but of course much maple). You use apple, poplar, birch, or alder? I may scout for some that I can use in future tanks. Was considering doing the same for suitable small rocks for hardscaping, because paying for dragon stone seems a bit crazy. Of course I'd want something completely inert. Maybe rotting of wood is a concern, as JJ09 notes?
I also am not up on any of those you mention but I do have some "ideas" that seem to apply to most wood. I'm one who looks more at each item as it is found, rather than trying to sort out what it might have been, before nature took over.
There seems to be a bit of more likely that a wood will degrade sooner if it is one that grows really quickly. I feel (more than know?) that the space left between the layers is part of the speed of decay as those spaces are often mostly just sap/moisture, etc. and when that is gone as it dries, it leaves space which is smaller in slower growing trees like many of the hardwoods we speak of so often. Without ever having used it, I might lean toward maple as being the best bet of those you mention.
But, in every case, I do look for the really dry stuff, more than species. I find my best places are around lakes which rise and fall or rivers, where things get tossed up in piles and laid out to dry without being down on the ground where so much of the bugs, mold, and rot get to the wood. If you go hiking and know the woods, you may know a spot if you think about it, but one way I sort places when traveling is to use Google Maps to look for piles of wood. Prevailing winds tend to pile it on the North and East points of lakes, so I bore in on those first and then sort out some spots which I can drive to somewhat close to avoid the ten mile hike with a 20 pound hunk of wood!
Happy hunting as it's good fun, even if you don't find the Great ONE!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	woodpile.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	881677  

dang likes this.

post #19 of 19 (permalink) Old 06-02-2019, 10:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

A small update, the two smallest pieces have sunk finally in the 55 in the garage so i gave them one last scrubbing and glued some java ferns to them and put them in my 55. I will closely monitor plant growth in that tank for the next couple weeks to be sure plants don't suddenly wither. parameters looked fine in the 55 before taking the wood from it and shouldn't be any problem. the water did get rather dark from tannins however, i did change the water i think 2 times now through this process so far and might again before the rest sinks.

Cordially,

Newbie Tankard

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode