Heater musings - Page 2 - The Planted Tank Forum
 14Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 01:56 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
That does look like another option but then I might still go with the Inkbird if I could find a good price as it does have some potential, depending on what we might each need. I live in hot country and cooling a tank does sometimes become a problem as well as needing heat at other times. That makes the Inkbird with separate plugs/settings for heat and cool a value worth going for in my case.
I find the temperature setting on it so much more "readable" as they have much better English than the cheaper one I've used. It is possible to finally sort out the directions but I have made my own set of directions to avoid trying to read their version!
For holding the temp, I find both are plenty good and don't worry that but larger tanks are easier to keep steady than smaller. I tend to set the heater up and get it set to the temp I want but they vary quite a bit and really have no number, so I set them first and then set the controller just a bit off that setting and the combo can keep a big tank steady enough to never vary off more than one degree. I have one tank that set off the normal path but with the nice big display, I just looked that way any time I passed and got used to seeing 76.4 until warm weather.
Each tank works a bit different but I find in this area and the way I keep my tanks with lights under canopies and canisters underneath, heaters even near the recommended size is just a waste as I get so much heat from everything else. Some tanks, I set a small cooling fan gizmo on the back and let the Inkbird decide if heat or cool is needed. Junk computers are free and easy to pick up here and have some really nice small fans in them. Combined with the super dry air, I can get all the cooling I need from evaporation.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
@PlantedRich - Interesting idea on sealing the thermocouple (probe) with a straw. I was thinking silicone might be as good or Plastidip even better!?
(might make lesser expensive models that indicate the probe is not to be put in water, to work fine in water?)

Note: I currently have a couple of the Finnex Temperature Controllers, one to a 500w titanium heater (60g) and the other to an 800w titanium heater (110g stock tank, basement). They both work GREAT.
I do lots of repair work and it has "trained" me to do everything I can to prevent trouble as it is much easier than fixing something after it breaks down so it came natural for me to look at making sure these probes last after the first one went bad> I torn it down and found water in it so looked for better options and there really are several things that I like for different tanks and where I want the probe to hide. For longer tubing, there are a number of things, if we keep our eyes open.
The small grey flex tubing for water supply to sinks, can make a nice waterproof straw for deep tanks. But the long soda straws from "burger heaven" are really easy and cheap.
varanidguy likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-10-2019, 10:02 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Thanks for this thread. I unplugged my guppy / gourami tank today.
GraphicGr8s likes this.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 02:33 PM Thread Starter
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cqlink View Post
Lol....try keeping discus in the Midwest without a heater. No brainer. Surprised you ask this question without any type of reference to the fish you plant to keep.
The question was just a simple general/generic question that pertained to the majority of fish we keep. Of course there are always the specific fish, like discus, that require warmer temps. Although I do know many who keep them without heaters.
I've kept, and bred, a lot of different fish since I started in 1980. I started in Westchester County NY. Damn cold in the winter. And yes, I did use heaters back then. Hell I had 20 tanks running in a one bedroom apartment and STILL ran two heaters on most of them. (At least my stance on that hasn't changed in all the years) I've also learned a ton in those years. Much of it pertaining to air pumps and why I will never scrimp on them again. Learned that lesson in the first 6 months and it was an expensive one since it ran my filters.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-11-2019, 03:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s View Post
The question was just a simple general/generic question that pertained to the majority of fish we keep. Of course there are always the specific fish, like discus, that require warmer temps. Although I do know many who keep them without heaters.
I've kept, and bred, a lot of different fish since I started in 1980. I started in Westchester County NY. Damn cold in the winter. And yes, I did use heaters back then. Hell I had 20 tanks running in a one bedroom apartment and STILL ran two heaters on most of them. (At least my stance on that hasn't changed in all the years) I've also learned a ton in those years. Much of it pertaining to air pumps and why I will never scrimp on them again. Learned that lesson in the first 6 months and it was an expensive one since it ran my filters.
Most of the stuff we have to decide all comes down to adapting what we do to where and what we want to do at that time. When living in the colder parts of the country, I never considered cooling for a tank but now that I'm looking at the weather warming and it already hitting the nineties, cooling is becoming a far more important item.
One of the funnies that is not often mentioned is what happens when it gets too hot in Texas and how that changes the weather in New York! All that hot air rushing up off the plains is going to find some cooler spot to come back down and that may just force a lot of cold air out of the Arctic and down to the New York folks! Close the door and grab the coat because we're heating up down here!!!
Cinnamonamon likes this.
post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 04-12-2019, 06:35 PM Thread Starter
Pixel Prestidigitator

PTrader: (10/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Most of the stuff we have to decide all comes down to adapting what we do to where and what we want to do at that time. When living in the colder parts of the country, I never considered cooling for a tank but now that I'm looking at the weather warming and it already hitting the nineties, cooling is becoming a far more important item.
One of the funnies that is not often mentioned is what happens when it gets too hot in Texas and how that changes the weather in New York! All that hot air rushing up off the plains is going to find some cooler spot to come back down and that may just force a lot of cold air out of the Arctic and down to the New York folks! Close the door and grab the coat because we're heating up down here!!!
I think my idea was that WE think we need a heater on our tanks. Fact is, for most of us we don't.

As for tanks heating up most of us use AC in the summer. My house goes to 85 when we aren't home. The fish house varies right now as the ac is't on. During the summer I keep it set for 82. Right now it only has a fan going in the window with the other window open. Not sure what the tank's temps are. Don't really give a damn either. Fish are fine. Evaporative cooling is an amazing air conditioner.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode