• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 2 Post By DiscusStu
  • 1 Post By Fishworks

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:25 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey Folks,

I am planning my second planted tank and want some advice on how to deal with the bacteria that causes PopEye.

My LFS keeps their plants for sale with fishes for sale.
Hypothetically, you could buy plants from your LFS and unknowingly introduce Popeye as you add the new plants in your display tank.

My current plan is to establish the plants in the display tank first, then leave it fishless for 1 month before adding the fishes. Hopefully the bacteria starves to death during that month without a host.

Will the above work?
How do you deal with the Popeye bacteria from Plants at quarantine?

-Harry

To provide a better description, I would like to add my concern as Eye Infections in General like Cloudy Eye, not just Pop Eye.

Also, I am concerned with the Bacteria responsible for Eye Infection hitch hiking on the Plants.

The Fishes I can quarantine separately in a 20 gallon and with Erythromycin ready.

-Harry

Last edited by Darkblade48; 04-08-2019 at 12:27 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 05:58 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Popeye, a condition where both eyes "pop-out" in fish, is a symptom of an underlying condition that causes fluid to leak behind the eyes. It happens in unhealthy fish that are compromised by another illness such as: Hexamita, Columnaris, Septicemia- for example.

The most effective way to prevent this condition is to keep your fish healthy by providing a consistently lower organic load in aquarium ( consistent water changes), proper filter maintenance, adequate nutrition, and compatibility between fish.

I would not use an antibiotic to prevent it- that is unnecessary. I am attaching a great article that should help you with the different issues that contribute to Pop-eye and how to prevent it.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/fish
livebearerlove likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 07:39 PM
Algae Grower

The bacteria are most likely part of the normal freshwater flora. They can live indefinitely without fish and they most likely already reside in your aquarium.
Discusluv and Fishworks like this.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 04:54 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Popeye, a condition where both eyes "pop-out" in fish, is a symptom of an underlying condition that causes fluid to leak behind the eyes. It happens in unhealthy fish that are compromised by another illness such as: Hexamita, Columnaris, Septicemia- for example.

The most effective way to prevent this condition is to keep your fish healthy by providing a consistently lower organic load in aquarium ( consistent water changes), proper filter maintenance, adequate nutrition, and compatibility between fish.

I would not use an antibiotic to prevent it- that is unnecessary. I am attaching a great article that should help you with the different issues that contribute to Pop-eye and how to prevent it.

https://www.advancedaquarist.com/2010/3/fish
Discusluv,

Thanks for the great article, the diagnostic section will be useful.

Basically, whether the symptom be Pop Eye, Cloudy Eye or Eye fungus, I should simply keep clean water, good food and a low stress environment to prevent this?
No need for prophylactic treatment?

I dont want to sound crazy, but one source says that Eye Infections are Gram-Positive and the bacteria responsible for this is not usually present in aquaria, thus it needs to be treated. But that is one source and they did not provide references. The article you provided says they are ubiquitous.

Would it be likely that when buying new fish, there are certain types of bacteria that bother the fishes when you buy them? Perhaps Streptococcus?

-Harry

Last edited by Fishworks; 04-08-2019 at 05:43 AM. Reason: More detail and questions
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 06:13 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Here is another article that will explain and save me a lot of typing

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FA/FA05700.pdf

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 11:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Here is another article that will explain and save me a lot of typing

https://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/pdffiles/FA/FA05700.pdf
Discusluv,

I read the article and am now enlightened.

Thank you.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode