Almost Cycled! Dont want to mess up now...Help Requested - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:30 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Almost Cycled! Dont want to mess up now...Help Requested

Hi All, I started a planted tank almost a month ago with ADA Amazonia Aqua Soil. Its a high tech with CO2 and PH controller. I was having trouble cycling so I added tetra Safe Start Plus a week ago. The ammonia was down but Nitrites we high (>5), and Nitrates were over 20. Anyway, I know Tetra said not to do water change but I did a 30% yesterday and the water started looking a bit clearer( but still cloudy). Today it looker clearer but still cloudy. Today's test was ammonia between .25 and .50 PPM, Nitrites 0, and Nitrates between 5 and 10.

Fish seem happy today as do the amano shrimp.

My issues is that the tank is still cloudy although a lot better and I can actually see the plants and rocks in the back. My question is, should I leave it alone, add another bottle of safe start, add ammonia, another water change????

I don't want to mess up now!!!

Thanks
Johnny
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 02:16 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Your more than likely still seeing ammonia readings if you didn't follow the water change guidelines for Aquasoil. Water Changes are necessary to reduce the ammonia that is realized from the substrate. It calls for 50% daily 1st week, every other day 2nd week, every 3rd day 3rd week and then once a week forth week.

The cloudiness could be several things, but best thing to do is keep doing big water changes probably twice a week or so until it's clear and ammonia is completely gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I should have noted....I did the water changes in the beginning. It wasn't until last week when I added safe start that I didn't do a water change.

I did another tonight and its definitely looking the best it ever did.

Should I add more safe start or just let it run its course?

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 04-08-2019, 12:32 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Just let it run it's course. Those bacteria products really aren't necessary with most planted tank startups. Between the water changes and the plants your really preventing any buildup and sort of running a silent cycle where the plants act as bacteria. If the plants are growing well just keep up with big weekly water changes and slowly add fish once the ammonia is gone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode