Newbie starter on a planted tank!! - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 09:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Newbie starter on a planted tank!!

First of all my starter setup would be a small tank about 60liters with a good amount of plants(probably i am gonna carpeting the whole surface of my tank,maybe imagumi style) and a few amount of livestock..

Now for my filter purchase and the biohome media purchase(biohome plus):

I am thinking to buy a Sun Sun 302 and also a prefilter(only foams in there) from allpondsolutions

Here are my links:

https://www.teich-tip.de/aquaristics...00-hw-302.html

https://www.allpondsolutions.co.uk/a...tary-canister/

1.First question: As i said my tank would be 60liters....Will i have an overflow problem with that huge 1000lt/hour sun sun 302? I mean the flow might be TOO MUCH for my little tank and maybe dmg plants and livestock??( also the prefilter will slow down the flow a bit right?)

Also take in mind that i might not be able to purchase the prefilter and setup only the Sun sun 302 alone (so there might be a flow problem?)

2.Second question: The sun sun 302 can be filled with 2.4kg of media..so it would be good for up to 240liter tanks(in order to have a full cycle)...So my tank only needs 600grams of biohome for my 60liters...so my question is what do i do with the extra space??Do i leave it free(if one basket is free then the flow)???? Do i put more media?it would be ok to have for example 1.5kg of media at a 60liter tank?(another solution might be more foams??)

3. Third question: I also want to use a uv sterilizer for my tank so to have the ultimate clear water and might not have algae problems..

Some solutions are:

A twinstar sterilizer(very expensive)

Filter canister with UV lamp inside(also a bit expensive)

Standalone uv sterilizer but most of them i found are for ponds like this one

https://www.teich-tip.de/sunsun-uvc-...w-cuv-209.html

Lastly : Do you think i need that uv sterilizer? is it ok without?

Finally, u can say why dont you buy a smaller filter to do your job correctly...i think that filter is in a good price and also a better investement for future bigger tank

thanks very very much for all the free information and knowledge you provide all over the internet...really appreciated.

Sorry if my questions are too many

Thanks for your time and sorry if you think i advertise the equipment(if this is innapropriate i can delete all)

Have a nice day and keep up the good work you do!!!

Greetings from Greece!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:46 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I think your way over thinking it. Canister will be fine, Iíd probably get Y and split output to both ends of tank but donít know dimensions so might not be needed. Flow should be perfect for that size tank if you position spraybar/outputs properly. You can always put valve on output to cut flow down if desired.

Extra media container. Not needed. The plants, gravel, rocks/wood are what handles the majority of your bio load. Only if you really overstock will need canister space for extra bio media. Iíd just do last module on that canister as bio, other 2 would be coarse foam > fine filter.

UV, not needed. Between plants, substrate, foam>fine filter your waters should be sparkling clear.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 01:57 PM Thread Starter

Yeah overthinking is one of my problems hahaha
Thanks for the answer mate really aprecciate and understood it

Thanks

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode