There are lots of small things that we will never fully understand as they are constantly evolving and changing and I lump a lot of these into general groups of mold/fungus/ slime that are no real problem. I do often find them on wood and one reason that I have found seems to make sense as it does seem to be something that comes with newer wood items rather than after long use. It has been proposed that there are sugars in wood and they serve as a food source for this item until the food runs out. This can be days, weeks, or longer but I have not read of it ever being a problem except when we let it be one. I did not like the appearance at first but found that some of my fish did eat it without harm, so I now no longer fight it. Rather than me working, I have now let my attitude evolve so that it no longer bothers me and I don't need to work to remove it!
Evolve your thinking or use mechanical means like a toothbrush to fight it to remove it until it no longer has a food source? I do find a good long bleach soak that lasts long enough to let the bleach fully penetrate to the center of the wood is one way to avoid it as the chlorine does react with all organics like the sugars in the wood. If it is in the tank, I do not remove it and do that long term soak but simply leave it be. The long term soak to get wood fully soaked is a weeks/months long project that I just don't normally do.
Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-06-2019 at 03:27 PM.