• 1 Post By Quesenek
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By Aku Sakana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Alien white fungus

Well I'm guessing this stuff came from my manzanita wood but no clue how to get rid of it or what it is .
The crazy stuff moves around the tank like a snail at night . I kind of like the way it looks but would like to research more about the fungus.
Any help would be great
Thanks

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 02:37 PM
Algae Grower

I had similar stuff in my black water betta tank back in August, I removed the wood and scrubbed it off but it came back within a week.

It now seems to come and go every now and then, I kind of like the way it looks and it doesnít seem to be doing any harm so I just tend to leave it.

I would still be interested to know what it actually is though.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-05-2019, 05:19 PM
Algae Grower

Looks like a slime mold to me, actually. I'd remove it and keep it!
Quesenek likes this.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:43 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
I had this in one of the tanks I take care of. After quite a bit of research I figured it out to be a type of plasmodial slime mold and that not much at all is known about it to science, just that it is not known to be dangerous.
Snapdragon likes this.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:25 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are lots of small things that we will never fully understand as they are constantly evolving and changing and I lump a lot of these into general groups of mold/fungus/ slime that are no real problem. I do often find them on wood and one reason that I have found seems to make sense as it does seem to be something that comes with newer wood items rather than after long use. It has been proposed that there are sugars in wood and they serve as a food source for this item until the food runs out. This can be days, weeks, or longer but I have not read of it ever being a problem except when we let it be one. I did not like the appearance at first but found that some of my fish did eat it without harm, so I now no longer fight it. Rather than me working, I have now let my attitude evolve so that it no longer bothers me and I don't need to work to remove it!
Evolve your thinking or use mechanical means like a toothbrush to fight it to remove it until it no longer has a food source? I do find a good long bleach soak that lasts long enough to let the bleach fully penetrate to the center of the wood is one way to avoid it as the chlorine does react with all organics like the sugars in the wood. If it is in the tank, I do not remove it and do that long term soak but simply leave it be. The long term soak to get wood fully soaked is a weeks/months long project that I just don't normally do.
evil8 likes this.

Last edited by PlantedRich; 04-06-2019 at 02:27 PM. Reason: correction
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 02:36 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the help. It seems that it's a fungi from the manzanita. There was a little bark left on when I put the wood in the tank and this aloud the fungi to thrive . I usually let my wood set in a hot tube in the summer but this tank was set up over winter and I put the manzanita in without the HOT bath.
I find it very interesting in behavior and appearance, will let it go in the tank and see what happens.
One crazy thing that it does , when it reaches the end of a branch it will float out in the water with just a small hold on the wood . Weird things in our tanks : )

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
Snapdragon likes this.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 04:04 PM
Algae Grower

I've gotten some snotty white stuff with both mapani and manzanita. The first time I pulled out the wood and boiled it a second time only to have the slime reappear. Then as PlantedRich said above some of the fish were eating it so I just don't worry about it any more. My new 45 was starting to form a film at the surface and had a bit of a smell. I added a surface skimmer inflow pipe and it cleared up in 2 days.

Don't make things too complicated. Try to relax, enjoy every moment, get used to everything. - Angelique Kerber
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-06-2019, 05:18 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
There are very few truly guaranteed safe things in most of what we do and that does always leave some small point that may get to us but much of the time, it does work out okay. Thinking of the things we do know change quickly, like flu virus, I feel it normal to think that many of the small things that we might call fungus will be changing and evolving constantly. That leaves me to go the easy way and not try very hard to ID any one specific item as it is possible it may back next year in a different form!
I've found it just about impossible to keep track of the scientific names of my favorite fish and I'm certain that learning the names of fungus is never going to happen with me.
That would be certain to take ALL the fun out of the game.
I collect and soak wood for tanks in a big barrel out back and there are lots of that unnamed/unknown stuff on some of the wood if I leave it too long. I try not to leave wood soaking much longer than a week as it does tend to get slimy and ugly to work with, even though I try to keep a cup or so of bleach poured in the tank every week. Once all the chlorine in the bleach has reacted with the wood or gassed off, all the little creepies begin to grow again and I can wind up opening a barrel of mosquito larva!
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 08:13 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I once had this just cover a piece of mopani wood. I added some ghost shrimp (not because of this. I just wanted some) and they turned into little lawn mowers. It was gone in 1-2 days.

----
2x20-longs, one heavily planted. Platy rancher. They. Won't. Stop. Breeding.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 04-07-2019, 11:07 PM
Algae Grower

That's really cool! Would love to see a picture of it reaching out into the unknown if you happen to get one!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode