Sunlight to this aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:03 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sunlight to this aquarium

Hey guys, I have this aquarium next to my window and I am wondering if some of my algae problems are because of it. This window is facing east so most of the direct sunlight that hits it is in the morning, and I have the curtain drawn closed about half way. Is this too close still?
Thank alots
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 03-30-2019, 03:04 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Sunlight is going to be a variable in your algae issues. Blocking that light would eliminate that variable and might help limit algae. However, you can have a planted tank near a window. Keep up with maintenance and manipulate the other variables (CO2, Ferts, etc.) if you can't block the light. You can find a balance, but it'll take trial and error.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 04-02-2019, 02:52 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I have two tanks near windows. One of them I keep the curtain closed all the way during the morning when sun would hit the tank. The other one I have plastic sheeting taped on the back to reduce the light that comes through. It still gets some algae though, worse at different times of the year. I keep plenty of snails in there to keep it in check, and have fish that also eat the snails- but any little change in my maintenance schedule or feeding or sudden days more/less sun I do get algae cropping up more.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode