What smart outlet are you running? - Page 3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 19Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:08 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I really have no complaints about any of the TP-Link Kasa products. I now have 2 tanks with their lights on single Kasa Smart Plugs and my 55 gal high-tech with the Kasa Strip; that's 4 lights, a backlight, filter, CO2, powerhead, doser, and UV connected on Kasa ecosystem.

They are all controlled on one single app that has a bunch of functionality and integration. You can add multiple on/off times, disable each scheduled time individually, set the schedule to sunrise and sunset times, and use away mode to set a random schedule, just to name a few features. Away mode works well if you do not want to have your UV running continuously (try to lengthen the bulb life). You can create groups for turning things off all at the same time (such as lights).

I really haven't had any issues with them for the past year or so that I've had them. One odd situation I found myself in was waking up one morning to my filter being off on my 55 gal. Turns out it was one of the Google Home routines that had turned it off when I told Google "It's movie time" (Telling Google "It's movie time" turns off the aquarium lights so that I can watch a movie in the dark). I had recently changed the outlet where my filter goes on the power strip to where the backlight used to be plugged in. This caused the filter to turn off instead of the backlight. Fixing the routine quickly fixed that.

All-in-all I have no negative things to say about the Kasa products (I love my TP-link router and powerline adapters as well). I have some experience with other off-brand smart products and it always seems to go back to the old saying "you get what you pay for". The apps aren't well organized and reliability is spotty.

I would definitely recommend to anybody that is curious.

Miami
55 gal Community
2 Beamswork F-Spec, CO2Art Regulator and Atomizer, Fluval 406
Fluval Edge 5 gal
Current Freshwater Plus
10 gal Algae Grower/Shrimp Breeder
Finnex 24/7 LED
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 42 (permalink) Old 01-02-2020, 10:28 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
I use a lot of KASA smart outlets that are tied into my Alexa device, super handy since it is automated, and super helpful during water changes.
monkeyruler90 and EdWiser like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #33 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 07:43 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (70/100%)
Send a message via AIM to monkeyruler90
Definitely looking at getting one of these to automate the water change feature in my tank

Thinking about maybe even running it to power the auto top off as well with the aid of a float valve and some relay switches.
I like the user interface of this and the ability to tie this to IFTTT

--Oscar.
Fluval pimp #4 aka PIMP master!
I SAID ITS GREAT
TO BE

A FLORIDA GATOR!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #34 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-18-2020, 09:59 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I'll second (or 32nd) the Kasa. I have 2 high tech tanks on one strip. I have the solenoid and pH controller set up to run an hour before lights -both off and on. And for 10 minutes each hour a powerful airpump turns on to oxygenate the water and keep flow, but not so long as to completely degas the tank. The air pump also runs all night when lights and CO2 are off. The number of mechanical timers it would take to achieve this would be mind boggling if I even could pull of a "10 minutes on, 50 minutes off" setting for the air pump.

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.
post #35 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 02:37 AM
Algae Grower

I use Amazon smartplugs with Alexa already for several house lamps. If you have a simple setup these could work well.

I am setting up a new tank and will put my CO2 solenoid on a single Amazon plug. My Oase Biomaster with built in heater will go straight to a regular power strip as well as my Inkbird heater controller. My lights have their own timer/dimmer.

Last edited by mourip; 06-19-2020 at 02:38 AM. Reason: speelinngg
post #36 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 06:50 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
Wemo has been great for me. Compatible with Google Assistant, Alexa, and HomeKit.
post #37 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 01:48 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (5/100%)
I have been using 6 of the kasa 7 port power strips for over a year now. No issues. I also use a single plug for my rodi booster pump. Set the timer feature to how long it takes to fill and turn off the pump. So a 5 gallon bucket takes 31 minutes. Then it shuts off. Would like to use ITTT in the future to create custom voice commands like alexa water change angelfish tank or frag tank or ... and have it turn off pumps, powerheads, skimmers, etc. Than add return commands like restart XXXXX tank. Also, custom feed modes would be nice.
evil8 likes this.

post #38 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-19-2020, 08:00 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (2/100%)
I make my own from the Sonoff basic units. I have been building feit smart dimmers into my lights lately and using dimmable direct drive LEDs.

“Science, my lad, is made up of mistakes, but they are mistakes which it is useful to make, because they lead little by little to the truth.” -Jules Verne
post #39 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-22-2020, 09:50 AM

I use the TPlink smart plug too. You have an app (the app is called Kasa) You can set it to return to previous after a power outage or choose on or off and you can set the timer on off time.
post #40 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-26-2020, 08:48 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by krankins View Post
I use the TPlink smart plug too. You have an app (the app is called Kasa) You can set it to return to previous after a power outage or choose on or off and you can set the timer on off time.
I have the Kasa power strip. Kasa is the more reliable of the other brands.
post #41 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-27-2020, 09:15 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (33/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Ridge Reef View Post
I'll second (or 32nd) the Kasa. I have 2 high tech tanks on one strip. I have the solenoid and pH controller set up to run an hour before lights -both off and on. And for 10 minutes each hour a powerful airpump turns on to oxygenate the water and keep flow, but not so long as to completely degas the tank. The air pump also runs all night when lights and CO2 are off. The number of mechanical timers it would take to achieve this would be mind boggling if I even could pull of a "10 minutes on, 50 minutes off" setting for the air pump.
What do you use as an air pump, etc? I find wavemakers to be far superior in providing o2 and circulation into the tank, and it pushes the co2 which is great!

20 Gallon jungle tank
2.8 Gallon Fluval Spec
2.5 Gallon DHG shrimp tank
2 Gallon Sparkling Gourami underworld

RAOK CLUB #0
post #42 of 42 (permalink) Old 06-29-2020, 03:28 PM
snails are your friend

PTrader: (13/100%)
I use one of those giant Whispers for deep water applications T'd off to each tank. Wavemakers/powerheads are out of the question since these are high tech shrimp tanks. Believe me, I wish I could!

Nothing good happens fast in an ecosystem.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode