• 2 Post By SueD
  • 1 Post By Leeatl
  • 1 Post By frogmanjared

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:12 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (5/100%)
Upgrading from 10 to 29 cycling question

Update! Tank is up and running (March, 26)!!!

If I'm using all the substrate, plants, wood, and filter media from my 10, would it be okay to put the fish into the 29 the same day I set it up? Doing a partial WC every day wouldn't be a problem. Thanks for any help!

Scenario #2: same as above except new substrate, what would change?

My issue is space, if I'd need to cycle the tank for a while, keeping the fish in the bare-bottom 10 is going to be tricky. Here's a little more information, since I'm sure it might be helpful. I have fluorite and I plan to use that as a base substrate layer in the 29, adding a top layer of pea gravel, or something cory friendly. I'd obviously upgrade a larger hob filter that I'd seed with current media.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by frogmanjared; 03-26-2019 at 11:39 PM. Reason: Update!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 01:45 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (1/100%)
I would say you will be fine . I have done similar a few times with great success . I would monitor ammonia , nitrites , nitrates for a week or more to make sure the tank is indeed cycled . Let us know what you decide to do and how it goes .
frogmanjared likes this.

My wife says if I get one more aquarium she is going to leave me . I sure am going to miss her fried chicken .
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:11 AM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
I 100% agree with the above comment. You will be just fine
frogmanjared likes this.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 02:41 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Thanks for the replies, I'm not sure when it will happen. I'm still budgeting out and trying to find the right equipment.

post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 03:26 AM
Wannabe Guru

+1 - You'll be fine! When you think of it, you're just increasing the water so cycling is not an issue. The only potential problem would be a dramatic change in water quality and how that may affect the fish. That is to say that if your 10g was suffering from old tank syndrome, moving the fish abruptly into fresh water may be an issue. Otherwise, you should be fine.

Just make sure the water is properly dechlorinated and at the appropriate temperature.
frogmanjared likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:30 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

So, I'm not so sure I want to keep the fluorite. It is around 10 years old, and mixing substrates has never worked for me. I feel confident in trying sand, now that I actually know what I'm doing.

What would change if I did everything the same, but with new substrate?

I could put a large sponge pre-filter in the 10 a few weeks before and add it to the new tank as well. I really don't want to have both tanks up and running at the same time for long, but of course I will wait and do tests if I have to.

Thanks for all the help, I really appreciate it. This 10 gallon tank is about as old as I am! I have had 5 gallons, but nothing larger, so a change like this has me planning before any steps are taken.

post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 05:55 AM
Wannabe Guru

Well you potentially lose any BB that was in the substrate and this could be substantial in an established tank. But you did say you're moving all the filter media, but w/o the substrate, perhaps not all the BB. Go for it, but watch for any ammonia spike and be prepared to do one or more water changes and/or dose with Prime to temporarily (24-48 hrs.) neutralize any ammonia or nitrites.
frogmanjared and Leeatl like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 05:22 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbbeysDad View Post
Well you potentially lose any BB that was in the substrate and this could be substantial in an established tank. But you did say you're moving all the filter media, but w/o the substrate, perhaps not all the BB. Go for it, but watch for any ammonia spike and be prepared to do one or more water changes and/or dose with Prime to temporarily (24-48 hrs.) neutralize any ammonia or nitrites.
I'm wondering if it would make any difference to move some of the flourite into the new tank in some kind of shallow dish to sit on top of the sand for a week to retain some of that BB and allow it to grow in the sand? Just had the thought while reading. Of course this could be messy and result in some of the fluorite ending up in the sand when moving the dish in and out (at 10 years old I'm guessing it's broken down into a lot of fine particles).

.`.`..`.><(((>
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 06:41 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

I've done this upgrading a 26g to a 40g. I used all new substrate, new driftwood/plants and new water. Just brought over one large anubias from the old tank. Transferred the fish the same day and I ran the original filter with all of its media along with a new larger filter for a few months and didn't add any additional fish. All stock was fine - no losses.
frogmanjared and Leeatl like this.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-23-2019, 07:14 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I'm wondering if it would make any difference to move some of the flourite into the new tank in some kind of shallow dish to sit on top of the sand for a week to retain some of that BB and allow it to grow in the sand? Just had the thought while reading. Of course this could be messy and result in some of the fluorite ending up in the sand when moving the dish in and out (at 10 years old I'm guessing it's broken down into a lot of fine particles).
I wouldn't bother . May just make a mess . Don't overthink this....lol All will be fine . Just do tests to make sure and relax...lol
frogmanjared likes this.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 12:28 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by babystarz View Post
I'm wondering if it would make any difference to move some of the flourite into the new tank (at 10 years old I'm guessing it's broken down into a lot of fine particles).
The flourite looks like nearly new condition, surprisingly.

Tuesday is the day! I'm doing a blackout until then to kill off access algae. Feeding the fish a ton as well so in the new tank I can keep it to a minimum for a few days.
Leeatl likes this.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-26-2019, 11:53 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

New Tank!

It took a while, but the new aquarium is up and running! I can't believe I had all these plants in my 10! I trimmed the Bacopa, didn't even use each stem. I tossed about 1/4 of the pygmy chain sword, and still had enough for the foreground! Treated myself to a canister filter instead of an HOB with all my overtime lately. I put all my filter media from the hob into the empty layer (didn't use the carbon). The light is coming in tomorrow, and the heater the next day. I picked up some biological booster just to ensure the cycling goes smoothly. Should I add a little each day or just leave the initial dose and be done with it? Thanks for everyone's help! Now its time to get the tank journal ready to go.
fullsizeoutput_5fd

fullsizeoutput_601

Last edited by frogmanjared; 03-27-2019 at 03:09 PM. Reason: added pic
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 02:57 PM
Algae Grower

So post a picture of the 10 gallon now so we can have a before and after. Looks good though.
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 03-27-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
So post a picture of the 10 gallon now so we can have a before and after. Looks good though.
Oops, my bad! I started a tank journal with a picture of the 10 the day before its retirement. Added it in the above post as well.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode