Need rimless advice - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 2 Post By EdWiser

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 03:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need rimless advice

Hi all. I'm torn.

So I purchased a used 45 gallon from a breeder (24Wx24Dx18H) with nasty old rims. Super cheap and great tank and the wide will NEVER allow me to drop any serious coin on a high quality tank after my reef forays. I've been pulling those old rims off as they're beat to hell and I can guarantee you they don't provide any support laterally with how bad of shape they're in. I plan to place glass supports all the way around top to compensate.

Now here comes my question: After I pulled off the bottom braces, I realized that the bottom glass is actually suspended roughly a 1/4 inch off the base, meaning the walls come down that additional 1/4 inch and carry the weight. Given this will be a heavily hardscaped and planted tank, I'm thinking it would be beneficial to fill that empty space so the weight distributes evenly and doesn't all carry to the walls that touch the stand.

So now back to the actual question(s):
1. Is this necessary? Is my logic sound when it comes to trying to carry 400 or so pounds across a 24x24 glass pane instead of the roughly 8 feet of 1/4 glass wall edges that currently carry it?
2. What would be a good filler? Level then pour epoxy resin? Save a buck and custom fit a, say, 1/2 inch foam board in there that will stick and go flush once 380lbs of water is added?

I'd love any and all advice, as I'm concerned those plastic braces played a role in dispersing the weight somewhat, plus cushioning the downward pressure on those glass wall bottom edges.

I can provide pics if needed as well.

Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 12:30 AM
Planted Member

The rims on tanks are on there for a reason to hold the tank together.
A rimless tank glass is cut and put together completely different than a tank that has a plastic rim to hold the glass in place. The seam will get pressure that it can not hold by itself. So no donít do it.
UcfKnighter and Kislath like this.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 11:47 AM
Algae Grower

I wouldn't convert a rimmed to a rimless tank either... The risk/reward is just too steep IMO.

Even totally cutting down the tank and rebuilding it is uncomfortable in my eyes.

As for what you are describing (filling in the bottom) the tank was designed to have the bottom glass 'floating' off of a surface, rimmed or not. That said, the frame may have held the bottom pane around the perimeter but with how much force is anyone's guess. I wouldn't know how to advise here aside don't do it.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-21-2019, 09:40 PM
Algae Grower

You'd have to fill in the gap below the bottom pane to make up for the loss of the rim, which you already seem to know, but seriously, you're asking for trouble. You could glue in some little glass strips around the inside edges of the tank around the rim to replace the rims, if you really want to go to the trouble, and it might actually work. Solid triangles in the corners.

As for your question, turning the tank upside down and pouring some resin in the gap to fully fill it in should probably help considerably not only to give support to the bottom, but to hold in the sides.
Just using foam, however, won't hold in the sides, so it won't adequately replace the rims.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-22-2019, 04:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I agree with others, converting to a rimless will damage the structure of the tank. Definitely would suggest keeping as is or purchasing a tank that was made to be rimless (Aquamaxx, Mr. Aqua, UNS).
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:03 AM
Algae Grower

How thick is the glass?
Yes, it makes a difference on a rimless conversion.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-25-2019, 01:23 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I would not recommend de-rimming a rimmed tank over 10gs even if you're re-bracing. I took the top rim off a 5g, saw a lot of bowing when filled so stopped using. It really needs that bottom brace (and top).

Look into buying sheets of glass and a glass cutter + some good aquarium silicone and make your own-much cheaper than buying a rimless tank. I don't know thicknesses needed off the top of my head but you can google for DIY tank builds and find several calculators to help.

Petco still has their $ per a gallon sale for up to 29G, and 50% off on larger tanks40g breeder is $49.99 (plus tax). I think sale ends beginning of April.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode