New Tank Suggestion/ Questions - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 04:22 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
New Tank Suggestion/ Questions

New to planted tanks but have many years in the hobby with the last 20 or so into Reef tanks. Iíve been eyeing the new Fluval Flex tanks, specifically the new 32.5 to get a tank started. Unfortunately I canít find one anywhere.

Since theyíre not available I was considering grabbing a 29 from the Petco dollar a gallon sale , a Fluval 3.0 light and an aquaclear filter with Seachem Eco- complete as a substrate. Iíve never paid much attention to the planted side of the hobby but Iím just wanting a basic set-up. Knowing me Iím sure eventually Iíll want to start tinkering with CO2 but am not going to start that way so this will be. Low-tech tank.

Any opinions on the Fluval Flex tanks or am I better off going with a standard 29 gallon set-up? Also will the 32 watt Fluval 3.0 be ok on a 30Ē tank? Seems to me itís made more for a 24Ē tank?

Any other recommendations or advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 05:48 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT.

https://www.aquacave.com/fluval-flex...xoCWr8QAvD_BwE

Looks like the new Flex is to be released on 4/15/2019. I personally have no experience with them but there are a number of threads on TPT on the smaller model. You might also want to consider a 40g breeder from Petco @ $40.

You can also save some cash by using Black Diamond Sand or Pool Filter Sand instead of Eco Complete, both will grow plants same, if not better.

With tanks of 12" or above, front to back, you are likely to end up with 2 LED fixtures sooner or later, mostly because LEDS are rather directional (not enough spread if mounted right on the rim).

Enjoy!

Bump: on the other side of Petco's price, rimless low iron glass tanks in the 36x18x18" size are rather popular for planted tanks. Available from multiple companies like UNS, ADA, etc, around $500 for a tank only.

Last edited by OVT; 03-17-2019 at 06:00 AM. Reason: Rimless
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 07:21 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I'd second the BDBS over Eco Complete. Skip it. Expensive, hard to plant in, no real benefit over the sand.

Also the 40 over the 29 as a planted tank. Better dimensions and worth the small difference in price. They don't do the 40s at $1/gallon anymore but it's $50 on sale so not too bad.

The Fluval 3 is a nice light. The 24" would be a little short on a 30" tank. You could go with the 36" on the 40.

I've not had the Fluval tank (obviously since it's not yet out, do have the Spec V) but others out there at around that price point. I have one of the Innovative Marine Black 30L tanks that I like a lot but I got mine for about half of the $190 list. They have the same tank in an all-in-one design (Fusion) that's similar in dimensions and about the same price as the Fluval.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:01 PM
OVT
Carpe Diem

I saw this thread, so the tank must be out.

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...ape-ideas.html
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Well that explains why I canít find one, itís not out yet lol. Could have sworn I saw pics of set-ups that people had already.

Iíd prefer a 40 breeder but the spot Iím going to put the tank will 0nly accommodate a 30Ē tank. I really wanted the Fluval 3.0 , Any 30Ē fixtures that are comparable?
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 02:48 PM
Algae Grower

Hey Jimbo! Welcome to the green side. Fresh here myself... d2mini from RC and R2R.

What about an Ultum Nature Systems 75P? Or are you set on an A-I-O tank?
Waterbox has some nice freshwater setups. Personally, I'm waiting for the Clear Pro to start shipping.
https://www.waterboxaquariums.com/freshwater/

-Dennis
My Blog
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 03:08 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Hey man! Small fish world lol. Here I am wanting to do a simple planted tank and you go showing me the good stuff! Very nice........hmmmm 😝

Would the Current Satellite pro+ be a better choice for a 30Ē long tank?

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-17-2019 at 11:56 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-17-2019, 08:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo107 View Post
Would the Current Satellite pro+ be a better choice for a 30” long tank?
Overall I like my Fluval 3s better than my Current Plus Pros. That has to do mostly with the setup and controls which are much easier/better on the Fluval using a phone/tablet. The Current is less flexible and not as easy using the remote but it works. The latter is convenient in that you can just grab the remote without having to open your phone et. al. Depends how much you mess with the light I suppose. Neither are all that difficult either way.

I don't have them on equivalent tanks or in the same sizes and haven't measured PAR to do any direct comparisons as far as output. My impression by eye is that the Fluval is quite a bit brighter.

The Current is 22.8" so doesn't really get you all the way there either. Next size up is 34.8" so too long.

The Current has an accessory mount (~$25 each) that you can use get to get it up off the tank more. Nothing equivalent for the Fluval off the shelf that I've seen.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 01:36 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the info. Think I have it narrowed down to Fluval 3.0 or a Finnex 24/7. Looks like the Finnex makes a 30Ē version, would this make it a better choice over Fluval?
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 08:15 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

A bit unusual alternative for the tank: Aquarium Fish Tank 35 Gallon Bowfront FB-830 Black
The price is right but the shipping is outrageous, you might be able to work something out. Still comparable in price to Flex 32.5.

Finnex quality and customer service can be spotty. Fluvals are ofthen on ~ 20% sale on various sites (don't they loose their settings on power down?).

Other lights worth checking out: AI Prime, either HD or Freshwater version and Twinstar S.

Yet another option is 2 x 24" Current Satellite PLUS (not PRO) mounted on 2 x Current Arms and hooked to a Current Dual Ramp Timer.

Last edited by OVT; 03-18-2019 at 08:33 AM. Reason: more lights
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess what Iím wanting to know is will the Fluval provide coverage on a 30Ē tank? Itís the equivalent of a 24Ē light on a 30Ē tank. Wondering if there will be shadows on both sides..

Sorry it took so long to get to the point here.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-18-2019, 06:31 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The LEDs in the Fluval are fairly wide dispersion (think they say 120 degrees) but I'd expect that you'd see at least some reduction. Trying it now to gauge how much by shading a few inches at the end with my hand it definitely does shade it (kind of a duh conclusion there). But my tanks are a lot shorter than a 29. Higher would be better and may be enough to make up for a ~3" gap at each end. At least to some degree by the time that you get farther down in the tank anyway.

I didn't like the Finnex 24x7 that I had as much. I'd put it 3rd behind the Fluval and Current. Assuming a 29 as above and the choice between the Fluval 3 and Finnex, even being shorter I think that I'd probably go with the Fluval based on features/ease of use. I'm assuming that you're looking at the Fluval/Current/Finnex because you want the built-in ramping and other features. If maximum lighting was your main concern, then I might change that but if so then you probably wouldn't be looking at the Finnex either in that case. If features aren't as important then there are the Beamswork and similar 'budget' lights at 30" that you could get at the lower end that you could just hook up to a timer or otherwise DIY something. Also better lights as OVT mentions at the higher end.

Last edited by Mike A.; 03-18-2019 at 06:43 PM. Reason: clarity
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 03-20-2019, 01:59 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for all the help. I went with a standard 29 gallon tank with the fluval 3.0.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode