Slimy smelly tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Slimy smelly tank

Greetings everyone. I recently setup a new 45 gallon tank.

Fluval Aquasky 2.0 LED light (7 hours light time)
Marineland C-220 canister filter (using half the sponges from the another tank filter & no carbon)
Hydor in-Line External Heater 200 Watts
Top-Fin black aquarium sand
2 branches of sand blasted manzanita wood (boiled)
Assorted beach rocks (tested and boiled)
NO fish

I got the requisite cloudy bacterial bloom right away, but after 2 weeks it hadn't gone away and I noticed a thick scum build up on surface. I pulled out a cheap surface skimmer I had in sitting in a box, but for some reason it no longer seemed to be circulating water. I ordered a set of stainless steel in/out flow pipes with a surface skimmer. They arrived yesterday and I got them installed right away. I tried cleaning as much of the stuff as I could, but it largely broke apart in clumps of slimy gray chunks that got caught in the wood and edges of the tank. It was smelly as hell too. I changed out 25 gallons of water (as much as my back would put up with at the time. LOL!).

It looked better this morning, slightly cloudy, but no where near where it was and the new skimmer inflow is working correctly.

1. My question, I guess, is should I do more water cleaning?
2. Clean the filter? There are only a few plant stems in there and they look okay.
3. New plants have been shipped. Should I even put them in the new tank?
4. Also no chemicals except Prime with the water. Since the substrate is inert should I start dosing ferts right away if I plant?

Am I overthinking everything? I can do that on occasion. The photo below was just after filling the tank the first time before the bacterial bloom and nastiness.

Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	40_gallon_new.jpg
Views:	23
Size:	448.7 KB
ID:	879067  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:42 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Filter needs to cycle. You may want to add some CHEAP fish like some zebras to get the cycle started You can also pump in DIY CO2. Good for plants and BAD for algae.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:08 PM
Algae Grower

Something is telling me those sponges had something in them. Anything growing needs something to eat. If it was algae then I would point to too much light. Grey stuff? I would say something wasn't clean.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 01:54 PM
Algae Grower

Is the wood new? Whenever I use new driftwood I tend to get smelly bio-film. My shrimp love it though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

20 Gallon Long tank journey

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 09:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by cqlink View Post
You can also pump in DIY CO2.
I was going to setup the high pressure CO2 last weekend, but with the stuff on the surface there was no air exchange going on. It's looking much better with the new pipes so perhaps this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by UcfKnighter View Post
Something is telling me those sponges had something in them.
I've seen a couple of Malaysian Trumpet snails already in the tank. Otherwise I did a good rinse of them in tank water before moving them to the new filter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeroRocks View Post
Is the wood new? Whenever I use new driftwood I tend to get smelly bio-film. My shrimp love it though.
Yes. I do remember some snotty white stuff on the mopani I bought for the first tank. Perhaps this combined with the piss poor circulation at the surface was just a build up.

Thanks for all the feedback! The tank is looking much better today. I think the new pipes with the skimmer is really helping and I'm waiting for those new plants to come today. I have 3 crypt wendtii green gecko and a tiger lotus that says it's out for delivery.

EDIT: It's Monday - I never got the new plants that were "out for delivery" on Friday. I love the new stainless steel pipes! The water in the tank looks perfect, though I haven't done a water test yet to confirm it's fully cycled yet. I don't really care until the plants come and I put the CO2 in and test that. Then I'll worry about moving my fish over from the smaller tank.

Last edited by evil8; 03-18-2019 at 01:03 PM. Reason: New information

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode