Bacterial bloom - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 1 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 12:05 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Bacterial bloom

I am in the process of setting up a new 32 gallon Fluval flex. I used Ada Aquasoil powder for the substrate. After the first initial fill the water was really murky but that was expected. I performed two 80% water changes on the first day and the water was fairly clear. When I woke up the next morning it was very cloudy. I performed two more 80% water changes on day two and three but always after the next morning itís still very cloudy. This is day six now and I backed of the water changes to 50% a day after the third day.

Other things Iíve done to try to clear the water was run filter floss in the filter chamber, the floss never got dirty, itís still white. Tried treating with accu-clear on day two and three. Have been running Purigen since day 4.

I also conducted a test with the Aquasoil. I added about 1/3 of soil to a glass cup, filled with cold tap water and stirred it up with a spoon. Done a water change in the cup after 24 hours and after 48 hours the water in the cup is clear. The only thing I can think of is the temperature of the water in the aquarium is allowing some bacteria to thrive on the excessive nutrients in the Aquasoil causing a bacterial bloom. Iím not sure what to do anymore but just give it time.

I have not planted any plants yet because Iím afraid they may not survive with how cloudy it is. I used some old filter media out of my other tank but as of now the ammonia is at 1 ppm and 0 nitrite.

Has anyone else experienced this using Aquasoil? How long should this be expected to last? This is the tank after 24 hours after a water change.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode