Dr fish Versus SAE - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 12:58 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Dr fish Versus SAE

I saw some Dr fish, mislabeled Panda gara, for sale in my lfs. Itís a plain looking fish that looks like SAE and the correct name I believe should be Garra rufa. Has anyone had them. How does it compare with SAE in term of algae eating ability?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:14 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I recently had a lfs tell me they ordered a bunch in because they swear by them, said they have a huge appetite and will eat just about any Algea or any good. They said they discovered thos by accident after putting them in Algea filled tanks overnight to return to clean tanks... I still was wary about keeping them myself because I want a community tank and couldn't find much info on keeping them with other fish, too much stuff about spas and animal rights. I'm terms of comparison to sae I'd think they wpuld be comparable for variety of algea consumption and amount, but this is based soley on the word of my LFS as I've not kept then.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 01:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
I've read up a bit on them because I was thinking of keeping them once- I really like the way they look. Do a search on here and you can find plenty of threads from people who've kept them. It looks like they need heavy, constant algae supply and fast current. That's why I never kept them, my tanks don't have strong flow and I would run out of algae for them too quickly.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
There is no lack of info on Dr fish, but most is about their therapeutic than algae eating benefit. I wonít worry about running out of algae in my planted tank as there is more invisible than visible algae our eyes can see, plus always present of biofilm. I would like to hear personal experience on what type of algae they eat, do they eat plants or get lazy with age and eat fish food only. Neither do I worry about lacking fast current as my tank water has adequate filtration, circulation and O2 fast current fish need.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 05:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I forgot about the fast water preference of theirs. That is another reason I didn't want them; planning on a betta or trying a betta sorority and didn't want something quite their size either.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode