3Likes
  • 2 Post By TDSapp
  • 1 Post By TDSapp

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
When to Plant?

So I have a Waterbox 7, Nano Tank, that I have set up at work. It currently has gravel and water in the tank but I will be adding rocks and driftwood to it in the next couple days. I am more experienced with fish only tanks and no plants. I am familiar with the cycle and would normally be waiting til the cycle was done or adding filter material from an established tank.

But plants I am not sure about. I have read in some places where it appears that you don't add plants until the cycle is complete and in other places you add the plants as soon as the water comes to temp and you have a place to put them.

I am currently only looking at plants are are water based and do not require a substrate and are low to mid-light. So Anubis and some Java Moss. This is my first planted tank having given up on the idea of planting the 150 due to issues I don't want to deal with.

I eventually want to put in some Neon Tetra and Shrimp. I don't even know when to put the fish in a planted tank either. Some people say to wait until after the cycle and other say toss them in with the plants.

This is what I will be working with.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190311_105310.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	170.7 KB
ID:	878875

sigh... Apparently I still can't post an [ IMG] link to my photos on my web site. I am going to have to ask the admin about that. Apparently I can't post\link to an image that is not on a secure site (https : //). I am trying to attach them now.

http://hotrod.sapp-family.com/wp-con...311_105310.jpg

Tim
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:27 PM
Wannabe Guru

Plant right away, dose a small amount of ammonia if you wish. Let the plant's get established and get them growing well. Slowly add in a colony of shrimp and get them started. After a few months and a few successful shrimp hatches, slowly build up a small - medium sized school of tetras.

Going this route requires no "formal" cycle, the plants will use ammonia + they will have trace populations of bacteria to seed the tank. The time it will take you to get the plants transitioned and growing well will be more than enough time to cycle the tank enough to support a shrimp colony. By the time the shrimp colony has had a few successful hatches, the cycle will be strong enough to support a tiny school of tetra. Let them be for a month, and then build up the school even more, etc. etc.

If it were easy we wouldn't be here

My 30g Journal:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 05:29 PM
Algae Grower

Toss the plants in now, wait for the livestock. Technically the plants will compete with the beneficial bacteria for the ammonia, but you don't really care as long as it is being removed from the water.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:22 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome, sounds like I am well on the way to the planted tank then. I guess I will stop by a PetSmart and pick up a couple plants on the way to work tomorrow.

Thanks!

Tim
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:53 PM
Algae Grower

As long as you are planting easy hardy plants you can toss them in right now.

If you are planning on high tech tank with CO2 injection I would wait till tank cycles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 08:20 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

You plant right away. It's actually easier to plant before you even fill up the tank. With the water just a few inches above the substrate is usually the easiest. The only way you wouldn't plant right away is if you don't have all your equipment/fertilizer ready to go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarjoshi View Post

If you are planning on high tech tank with CO2 injection I would wait till tank cycles.

Why do you feel you have to wait for the tank to cycle if going hi-tech? There's no reason to wait.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 10:00 PM
Algae Grower

I feel itís really hard to manage the balance between ammonia/nitrites/nitrates, light and co2, especially during cycling.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 01:58 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
Awesome, sounds like I am well on the way to the planted tank then. I guess I will stop by a PetSmart and pick up a couple plants on the way to work tomorrow.

Thanks!

Tim

Hey check out the buy/sell part of the forum and you'll have much more selection and better prices for plants than PetSmart!

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 04:21 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaz419 View Post
Hey check out the buy/sell part of the forum and you'll have much more selection and better prices for plants than PetSmart!
I agree 100% but I have not really found alot of planted tank guys around here just yet, and anubias and java moss tend to be very hardy plants. Plus I am really impatient and did not want to wait to have someone mail me plants.

This morning I brought the drift wood that I have had soaking at home for a week or two. I also stopped by PetSmart on the way into work and bought two plants. Both Anubias (Nana and Frazeri) and got everything into the water. I had to trim part of the drift wood to get it to fit. Thank God my pocket knife has a good wood cutting section.

I am still waiting on the dust to settle but here is a picture from a little while ago. So far nothing has curled up and died.

Name:	20190313_104818.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	182.4 KB
ID:	878981

Tim
sagarjoshi and Cinnamonamon like this.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 02:34 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by TDSapp View Post
I agree 100% but I have not really found alot of planted tank guys around here just yet, and anubias and java moss tend to be very hardy plants. Plus I am really impatient and did not want to wait to have someone mail me plants.

This morning I brought the drift wood that I have had soaking at home for a week or two. I also stopped by PetSmart on the way into work and bought two plants. Both Anubias (Nana and Frazeri) and got everything into the water. I had to trim part of the drift wood to get it to fit. Thank God my pocket knife has a good wood cutting section.

I am still waiting on the dust to settle but here is a picture from a little while ago. So far nothing has curled up and died.

Attachment 878981

Tim

FYI they are very slow growing plants. So donít expect them to flourish in a week or two.

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 03-28-2019, 06:29 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagarjoshi View Post
FYI they are very slow growing plants. So donít expect them to flourish in a week or two.

Well it has been two weeks now since I put the first plants in and my how things have changed. The Anubis has already grown new leaves and I have not lost any leaves or plants. I also added more plants, shrimp and a snail.

Here is a couple pictures from today.

Name:	20190328_131604.jpg
Views:	5
Size:	175.7 KB
ID:	879605

Name:	20190327_095833.jpg
Views:	3
Size:	100.3 KB
ID:	879601

Name:	20190328_114641.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	169.3 KB
ID:	879603
babystarz likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode