Brown inside outflow pipe. Fe Precipitate or Algae? - The Planted Tank Forum
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:27 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
cl3537's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 541
Brown inside outflow pipe. Fe Precipitate or Algae?

It looks too much like precipitate over algae but I don't have much experience with brown algae.
I dose Thrive which has EDTA and DTPA iron. pH degassed is 8.0 and at equlibrium pH (I run CO2 24/7) 6.6.

Not sure why it happened recently (maybe because of pH increase after a 50% water change) but I didn't really notice.



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cl3537 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:25 AM
Captain
 
Immortal1's Avatar
 
PTrader: (1/100%)
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Iowa
Posts: 2,979
Before I saw the pic I was thinking "duh, algae" I have plenty of it in my lines as well.
But, it does NOT look like that. Mine is more like smears - greasy, blotchy brown smears.
Hope somebody else has some more knowledge than me....


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Immortal1 is offline  
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 03:15 AM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
cl3537's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Immortal1 View Post
Before I saw the pic I was thinking "duh, algae" I have plenty of it in my lines as well.
But, it does NOT look like that. Mine is more like smears - greasy, blotchy brown smears.
Hope somebody else has some more knowledge than me....
I cleaned it out and it really looks like fine sediment particles not at all like any algae I've ever seen.

I just don't understand why I never got it before, it might be when I turned off and then turned on my pump after maintenance and C and a water change and I'm getting closer to target dosing of 1.2 ppm of Fe maybe I precipated some out. EDTA Fe wouldn't be stable if my ph=7.3 (50% average 8.0 and 6.6) not even sure if DTPA would be totally stable at my just after WC ph.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cl3537 is offline  
 
post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:35 PM
Algae Grower
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Feb 2016
Posts: 20
Could it be bacteria cultures?
Parablennius is offline  
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 04:37 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
cl3537's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parablennius View Post
Could it be bacteria cultures?
Doubtful.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cl3537 is offline  
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 06:47 PM
Planted Member
 
FreshPuff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 220
I get that also... But not as bad as before. I'll explain.
I can't tell you exactly what that brown sludge is but when I used to dose EI (estimated index) amounts of DTPA iron in my aquarium I would have to clean my plumbing frequently because it would cover everything so quickly.
I switched over to ferrous gluconate (because I have soft water) and then later on I cut down on my fertilizer dosing (PPS-pro quantities). Switching iron ferts helped decrease the accumulation of sludge. And cutting down the iron dosing helped even further. I still get it but rather than cleaning my pipes every two weeks, I can now go at least 5 weeks between cleanings.

I wonder if you took a magnet to the sludge if it would attract? Hmmm I should give this a try...

I saw your green filled aquarium pictures btw. Great looking scape you got going!
FreshPuff is offline  
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 07:27 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
cl3537's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
I get that also... But not as bad as before. I'll explain.
I can't tell you exactly what that brown sludge is but when I used to dose EI (estimated index) amounts of DTPA iron in my aquarium I would have to clean my plumbing frequently because it would cover everything so quickly.
Oh no you just dashed my plan, what is your pH of Tap and pH drop values?. I was going to get DTPA and custom micro mix to avoid Fe EDTA, I was hoping with just DTPA even with water changes this wouldn't be a problem.

Quote:
I switched over to ferrous gluconate (because I have soft water) and then later on I cut down on my fertilizer dosing (PPS-pro quantities).
Switching iron ferts helped decrease the accumulation of sludge. And cutting down the iron dosing helped even further. I still get it but rather than cleaning my pipes every two weeks, I can now go at least 5 weeks between cleanings.
Quote:
I wonder if you took a magnet to the sludge if it would attract? Hmmm I should give this a try...
I'll have to try that the next time take apart my outflow tubes to see if the magnet will pick up the solids, if it does I know for sure what it is.

Quote:
I saw your green filled aquarium pictures btw. Great looking scape you got going!
Thanks



To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-13-2019 at 12:12 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
cl3537 is offline  
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:42 PM
Planted Member
 
FreshPuff's Avatar
 
PTrader: (11/100%)
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Houston, TX
Posts: 220
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
Oh no you just dashed my plan, what is your pH of Tap and pH drop values?. I was going to get DTPA and custom micro mix to avoid Fe EDTA, I was hoping with just DTPA even with water changes this wouldn't be a problem.
I went ahead and just took a ph reading and according to my ph pen my water is at 5.43. Since I use ro/di water remineralized with gh booster only (no kh buffer) in conjunction with a buffering substrate, I am not entirely sure if that ph reading is accurate or not.
I have tried doing the whole 1ph drop for sufficient co2 levels but what ended up happening was my fish and shrimp began showing signs of stress and limp swimming. Since then I have refrained from doing that and not paid any attention to ph drop.

Don't let my experiences keep you from trying out DTPA. Who knows, it might work in your tank! Our aquariums are very different.
FreshPuff is offline  
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-2019, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Enthusiast
 
cl3537's Avatar
 
PTrader: (0/0%)
Join Date: Jan 2019
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
I went ahead and just took a ph reading and according to my ph pen my water is at 5.43. Since I use ro/di water remineralized with gh booster only (no kh buffer) in conjunction with a buffering substrate, I am not entirely sure if that ph reading is accurate or not.
I have tried doing the whole 1ph drop for sufficient co2 levels but what ended up happening was my fish and shrimp began showing signs of stress and limp swimming. Since then I have refrained from doing that and not paid any attention to ph drop.

Don't let my experiences keep you from trying out DTPA. Who knows, it might work in your tank! Our aquariums are very different.
I am still dosing Thrive and it hasn't happened again in the last few days so I'll just leave it for now but hopefully DTPA will do the trick for the future.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by FreshPuff View Post
I went ahead and just took a ph reading and according to my ph pen my water is at 5.43. Since I use ro/di water remineralized with gh booster only (no kh buffer) in conjunction with a buffering substrate, I am not entirely sure if that ph reading is accurate or not.
I have tried doing the whole 1ph drop for sufficient co2 levels but what ended up happening was my fish and shrimp began showing signs of stress and limp swimming. Since then I have refrained from doing that and not paid any attention to ph drop.

Don't let my experiences keep you from trying out DTPA. Who knows, it might work in your tank! Our aquariums are very different.
I am still dosing Thrive and it hasn't happened again in the last few days so I'll just leave it for now but hopefully DTPA will do the trick for the future.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
cl3537 is offline  
Reply

Tags
None

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in










Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Display Modes
Linear Mode Linear Mode



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
7 Tips for Keeping Algae Out of Planted Tanks forumadmin Home Page News 8 11-15-2015 05:33 PM
Getting rid of brown algae - more light or less light? ADA Algae 94 07-12-2014 10:36 PM
Brown Hair Algae ScottPic Algae 13 08-12-2013 03:49 PM
Started EI dosing now algae outbreak...Pics inside Bbc84 Algae 0 03-29-2007 04:21 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome