New 180G build - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By Stiker
  • 1 Post By Discusluv

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 12:17 AM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hello,
I am going to be rescaping and changing the fish around in my 180G tank (6x2x2ft with a 4ft sump). I am new to a planted tank so don't have a lot of knowledge when it comes to it but I have extensive knowledge in regards to fish keeping.

The big part of it which I guess will affect other decisions is that of my stocking which I would like to include the following fish, some of which is already have growing out in a 4ft tank:
-10 Geophagus Tapajos sp. Red Head (Currently around 2 inches max) (I may reduce the school as they grow out)
-2 Keyhole Cichlids
-7 Dianema Urostriatum group OR a school of Corydoras (not sure of what species or numbers)
-4 Pseudohemiodon Lamina
-Peppermint Bristlenose catfish or Whiptail Catfish or possibly a mix of the two (not sure of what species or numbers)
-Lemon Tetras (not sure on numbers)
If anyone has any suggestions on stocking that would be greatly appreciated. Do keep in mind I plan to keep it fish from South America.

The big part for me is that I would love to include the Geophagus in this tank. My concern though is them uprooting plants. I hope that I am able to make this work and create a heavily planted tank in the long run I have read you can put some small rocks/stones around the base of the plant until they get their root system well established.

My other question is that in regards to substrate. I would love to have some plants that require to be rooted in the substrate, as well as some to cover the driftwood (such as Anubias and mosses). Would the best course of action for substrate to be a soil layer and then a sand layer of the top of it for the Geophagus to sift through? Or would just a sand substrate with the addition of root tabs such as API Root Tabs or Seachem Flourish tabs be a better idea? I think that i plan to do a thicker layer of substrate towards the back of the tank and have a thinner layer at the front.
As well as what is a good liquid fertiliser to use? I have been recommend the Continuum Aquatics Flora Viv Grow. If anyone has any suggestions that would be amazing. I believe I am leaning towards trying Aquaearth by Oliver Knott and topping it with a layer of sand. My biggest concerned is going to be an ammonia spike, would this be a problem considering I have a sump filled with 3 marina pure blocks, a mesh bag full of marine pure spheres and ceramic rings plus 2 spounge filters in my sump?
Considering I am new to plants I will be starting with some low tech easy to keep plants.

In terms of hardware on the tank, the tank has 2 Freshwater Radions over it, as well as a Ecotech MP40 for circulation which I can adjust the flow of, plus the return pump and a UV steriliser in the sump connected under the tank in the sump. I do not plan at this stage to run CO2 on the tank , but may later on.

I forgot to mention that this tank has been set up now for over 3 years probably closer to 4 years so it is well established
Greggz likes this.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 03-14-2019 at 12:17 AM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Check out https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-low-tech.html
That was low maintenance sand only tank and the Geos kept the sand clean. No Soil, nothing planted in the soil.
If you want to plant in the substrate you could buy potted plants and bury whole pot with sand but I wouldn't bother just plant glued to wood and rock or between the two.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-11-2019, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cl3537 View Post
Check out https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...-low-tech.html
That was low maintenance sand only tank and the Geos kept the sand clean. No Soil, nothing planted in the soil.
If you want to plant in the substrate you could buy potted plants and bury whole pot with sand but I wouldn't bother just plant glued to wood and rock or between the two.
Tank looks beautiful. Do you think it would be possible to do it with a dieted substrate with a sand layer over the top? I would like to grow some roots plants like Val, Amazon swords and crypts

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:49 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stiker View Post
I would like to grow some roots plants like Val, Amazon swords and crypts
Sand and root tabs have been working pretty good for my Apisto/Dicrossus tank. I've got Italian Val, Amazon Swords, Bronze Crypts, Java Fern & Moss. I don't have a newer photo, but this was the just before I re-arranged the whole landscape.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2018-04-06 20.34.47.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	281.3 KB
ID:	878965  

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 06:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
This is my 180 gallon geophagus sveni tank.
Sand, eco-complete base, root-tabs, liquid ferts.

An earlier arrangement that I changed because I needed to open up the substrate to allow for more feeding space for geophagus.
Greggz likes this.

180 g. low tech w/ wild South American cichlids, corydoras eques, and African Congo riverine tetras.
60 g. low tech w/ F1 Alenquer pair /Stendker "Tefe" discus and wild Altum Angels
30 g. low tech w/ Wild Tucano tetras
30 g. low-tech African Biotope

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode