Discouraged and thinking about giving it up
Wife and I used to keep cichlids and about 2 years ago decided to go with a planted tank. However for the life of me I just canít seem to get anything right. We kill all the plants, algae takes over and just donít know what to do anymore.
- 55 gallon tank
- fluval 3.0 light on planted mode also have a 24/7 finnex but have not used it in over a month
- pressurize co2 system with inline defuser GLA complete kit including the PH regulator set at 6.5
- root tabs done every 3 months
- sun sun canister filter
- thrive fertilizer 5 squirts as per bottle recommendation on Mondayís after water change and Fridayís
- black diamond sand substrate
- 2 wave makers one on left upper corner shooting across to agitate surface, second one under spray bar (right side wall of tank) helping push co2 to other side of tank.
- weekly 50% water change
- automatic water heater set at 81 (discus) si no temperature fluctuation
I donít know where to go from here, even my substrate has a little of algae but afraid to really clean it besides a suction hose because of the amount of dirt that comes out and creates a cloud.
I have put money into this and would really like to have a nice tank but Iím either too stupid or should just give up the hobby and cut my losses.