Pests!!! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By Mike A.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:11 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hey Everyone,

I have been posting a lot on here, and so far everyone has been so helpful! I really appreciate it.

So my tank is finally cycled. I’m supper excited. However I did run into some unexpected problems... freaking pests! 3 kind that I can tell.

1. Little snails, almost transparent. Maybe about 2mm long.

2. Seed Shrimp. They look like fruit flies filling my tank.

3. Worms. I believe they are detritus worms.

I’m a little angry about all that, mostly because I didn’t bleach dip them. I’m new to the hobby, and that seemed to schetchy. I figured being in such a high ammonia environment would kill off any pest.

Anyway, I didn’t let that stop me from stocking my tank.

I have 1 female Betta, an Oto catfish, and 3 assassin snails.

Will this get rid of my pest problem?

I know the assassins will get rid of the pest snails. I was told by the pet store there is a chance they will eat the Seed Shrimp eggs.

The Cat fish will eat the detritus, preventing the worms.

I’m hoping one of the three have a taste for seed shrimp, or detritus worms

The alternative is Snail Zap. I’d have to remove my assassins. But I really don’t want to put my new fish threw that. Just seems like unneeded stress on new fish, that are in a new tank.

What do you guys think?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:22 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
IMO the 'pests' are a natural and good part of the aquatic ecosystem. I don't mind them in the tank as they help clean up, and having a massive excess of them means there's an imbalance in the tank (too much dead plant matter, over feeding, too much diatoms (brown algae)). Removing the excess food for them will make their numbers go down. They do not hurt fish, shrimp, desired pet snails (like nerite).

If the sail does not have a curled shell its likely a baby bladder or pond snail (will darken up as it gets older/larger). If shell is curled its a ramshorn or mini ramshorn.

The seed shrimp and detritus worms will be food for your betta or any other small predatory/omnivorous fish.

Don't know what size tank you have but otos should be kept in shoals of 6 or more and in a 20g or larger tank. Otos won't eat any of those 'pests' or detritus-they eat diatoms and the microfauana growing on the algae. I'd recommend just returning the oto.

detrius defined: "(also known as Mulm) is the decaying organic matter from decomposing dead plants or animals lying on the substrate in your tank." Its best to just do water changes and siphon this detritus out.

Assasin snails will eat other snails. I've heard some complain that the assassin snails start over populating the tank after a while.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 01:40 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The worms I understand. I was cycling my tank with fish food. A mistake I won’t make again. What a mess! I found a brand of ammonia that is safe for cycling.

It was hard to tell what kind of snails they were. Really small, and transparent. Either way, I have The Assassins on it. From what I was told, they do reproduce very slowly.

As far as the catfish goes. I was told they aren’t a schooling fish, and a 10g isn’t too small. I was planing on a Neon Tetra, but my daughter changed her mind. I also wanted a Nerite snail, but once I found the pest problem, switched to Assassins. I figured the Catfish will help keep my algae under control.

Is it possible I’m getting the kind of catfish wrong? I was told it only gets about 1.5 inches, and it is grey with a black stripe

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-10-2019, 04:14 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuluCocoPopoRoro View Post
...As far as the catfish goes. I was told they aren’t a schooling fish, and a 10g isn’t too small. I was planing on a Neon Tetra, but my daughter changed her mind. I also wanted a Nerite snail, but once I found the pest problem, switched to Assassins. I figured the Catfish will help keep my algae under control.

Is it possible I’m getting the kind of catfish wrong? I was told it only gets about 1.5 inches, and it is grey with a black stripe

Yeah, that was bad advice. Oto sounds right from your description. While technically they may not be true *schooling* fish (which has a particular meaning), they do socially aggregate in shoaling groups. Better with 5 or 6 together. Also not a good fish going into a new-ish tank since, as above, they depend on the growth found in a more mature tank. They won't eat detritus. They're also not the most hardy fish so the less optimal the circumstances, the more likely that they'll not last long. Yes, you could toss one alone in a new 10 gallon and it probably will live for a while. Not really the best idea though.
AguaScape likes this.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 02:50 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I found this guy in my tank.

This isn’t the little thin detritus worms, it’s about 1mm thick.

It doesn’t look like it has eyes or a triangle head. Do you think it’s fish lice?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	64C48795-D247-47C2-88F8-35099B1DEA13_1552531840661.jpeg
Views:	14
Size:	120.0 KB
ID:	879033  

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode