Moving my 45 gallon Today - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:34 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Moving my 45 gallon Today

To a different room in the house. Up to now my 45 has been in a niche in basement hallway- and the angelfish are constantly startled when people walk down the stairs or thru the hall- see my thread https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/12-tank-journals/1266498-45-angels.html. Lately when I go down there, they are washed out pale, turn and stare at the wall or flee and bonk their heads on the tank walls. They have got injuries from running into corner multiple times. I'm tired of it and unhappy seeing them distressed all the time. Whereas the few months I had one of the angels in upstairs tank by front door, he was usually calm, well-colored and eager to greet people.

Anyway, please check out my plan for the day. New location is upstairs living room, corner spot on outside wall near sliding glass door- light won't hit the tank directly but it will get lots of bright ambient light so I think that will help a lot with the angels not feeling startled- seeing what's going on around them! It will be flanked by tall houseplants (5 ft high dracanea, parlor palms, and potted avocado tree) Another plus is I will see the tank all the time and enjoy looking at it. And there are two outlets in that corner, so I won't need a power strip. Possible downside- it's a busy room in the house (but so is the tank by the front door where the male spent several months just fine) and it's near the kitchen- I worry sometimes that cooking fumes might bother the fish?

Right now I have fish trap set in the basement to catch the last few kuhlis, but I can't wait forever for that so if they don't go in, I will catch the angels first and have to get the kuhlis with a net when the tank is empty. I am going to put the angels in my 20H while I am doing all the work to tear down and re-set up the tank in its new spot. I raised the temp on 20H yesterday in increments, to match the 45. I know it will mean catching and acclimating the angels to a new tank twice in one day, but I thought having them in a tank with filter running, heat and plants is less stressful than sitting in a bucket while they wait? Last time I moved the angels, the one that waited in a bucket got a bit of fin rot- I think because the temperature dropped. (The 20H just has shrimps and kuhli loaches in it. I know the angels might eat my shrimps, but I think they will be stressed enough by the move not to think about that?)

So here's what I'll do:

- Move fishes into 20H
- Put 20 gallons tank water into clean buckets
- Put hardscape w/plants and filters into the buckets
- Remove equipment and drain rest of the tank
- Move tank to table upstairs
- Empty and move stand to new location
- Level stand
- Move tank onto stand, re-level
- Fill tank halfway, check level
- Replace hardscape and plants, fill rest of the way
- Replace equipment, plug it in, make sure all is working
- Check tank temp
- Move angelfishes back in when temp matches

Am I missing anything?
Sorry for the long writeup, but I'm very anxious about today. I don't want to cause my fishes any more stress than necessary, am very glad my husband is finally supporting my idea to put the tank in this main room, we moved a lot of furniture yesterday to make it happen! so I really want this to work out.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:46 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
I used to get paid to move tanks. We would always charge for enough guys to move the tank waterless. That would mean all of the hardscape/substrate would stay in the tank. If you can wait and get enough people I would get 3 others, drain the tank as best you can and move it while everything is still wet. You have the best chance to keep the tanked cycled and if not fully cycled it'll have the lowest impact.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:56 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

I'm worried if I try to move the tank with hardscape still in there, weight could risk breaking the bottom glass? I have already asked and the guys I know, couldn't come today. It's just husband and myself to move it- and between the two of us we can just carry the empty tank up the stairs. For me (5'2" woman) it's a bit difficult as-is.

|
|
|
|

Last edited by JJ09; 03-09-2019 at 01:56 PM. Reason: fixed typo of punctuation

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:33 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
You wouldn't have a problem with just the hardscape. There's waaaay more pressure when there's water and the substrate would be enough to spread out the weight. But the the plan would only work if you have enough people

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 02:43 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

Yeah. Just two of us. Well, all my hardscape/plants are going into a bucket of water, so it will definitely stay wet! I expect to have a mini-cycle, hoping to get everything moved efficiently as I can, fish back in there soon to forestall that. Plus extra fish in my 20H will be too much for that system even though I haven't fed any fishes in 2 days to keep waste output minimum . . . .

|
|
|
|

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode