Anybody using biocenosis clarification box anoxic filtration? - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 03-08-2019, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anybody using biocenosis clarification box anoxic filtration?

I was just doing some reading about Dr. Kevin Novak phD and Anoxic filtration that processes ammonia and nitrates.
I'm curious if anyone has implemented and their results.

ANOXIC FILTRATION
DigityDog70 likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by AbbeysDad; 03-08-2019 at 11:52 PM. Reason: update
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 02:30 AM
A.K.A. Fishroom Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Did you ever get this going? I think it's a cool concept, assuming it works. I'd even consider the under gravel, 'plenum' approach with the weed covering fabric because it wouldn't cost much to experiment with.

Use a quarantine tank!
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 03:25 AM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

I have two biocenosis baskets in my 110g stock tank. I can't really tell if they're doing much - this tank has a LOT of fish (colony breeding and growing out swordtails).

I also created a filter of sorts using a loc 'n loc canister and a Tom Aqualifter pump with a slight trickle flow. This is on my 60g planted display tank. I think it's helping, but I continue with routine partial water changes for the most pure water.

Tank On, Mike-

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 07:06 AM
A.K.A. Fishroom Bum

PTrader: (2/100%)
Good to see youíre running this. Thanks for sharing pics, I appreciate it. Are you using filter pads on the top of your baskets? Looks like maybe youíre using a polishing pad on the top of your baskets (or some sort of filter pad), itís white and obviously porous. That would be smart to take advantage of that space for additional filtration!

I donít see a lot of data on ratios of required filtration media/per gallons of water. Dr. Novak probably has addressed this somewhere and I just havenít found it yet? In a video he is using an 11Ēx6Ē x 3Ē basket for a 25-30Gal tank. My thoughts are, I probably canít use too large of a basket? I plan on implementing this on a 29Gal. & a 55Gal. for starters. Iím also using CO2.

I also have an Eheim Classic Canister that I may use as part of my pre-filter?

Weekly water changes are in the plan as well.

Cheers,
DD
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 11-30-2019, 12:06 PM Thread Starter
Wannabe Guru

What you are seeing in, and on top of the basket is a plastic mesh needlepoint canvas. The holes in the plant basket are too big for the clay litter so I lined them with this material.
The baskets just won't be practical for smaller tanks unless you have a sump. I'm not liking the space they take up in the 110g stock tank and I'm thinking of making a sump for them.
The filter was a bit outside the Novak box, but I had the materials and the idea so it only cost me very little in kitty litter and Flourite Red. The trick (if there is one) is to just trickle water through it. It's hard to say if anoxic bacteria develops there as maybe there's too much O2. But worse case, all that clay litter provides a lot of surface area for BB.
I think the plenum idea is a good one using an Under Gravel Filter covered with landscape fabric and a sand substrate. Again, the 'trick' is to only use enough air (or other means) to move just a little water through the system (Unlike the normal flow of UGF).
After several months, I thought my filter was keeping nitrates down on my 60g, but the baskets weren't doing much in the 110g stock tank (but as I mentioned, the stock tank has a LOT of well fed fish!)

Tank On, Mike-

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode