• 1 Post By Fish Guy84
  • 1 Post By Fish Guy84
  • 1 Post By Edward

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
EMERGENCY Co2 poisoning!

Hello I woke up this morning to notice fish floating at the surface. I have a DIY co2 unit and forgot to shut it off last night. my setup is a 20 gal dirt tank with substrate on top. I do not have any tests kits to see what the PH is. My fish are Keyhole cichlid, Kribensis, Rubber nose pleco and 2 zebra loaches. there are no casualties but I immediately started aerating the water and i grabbed some of the fish that were in the worst state and moved them back and forth in my hand... seemed to help bring them up a bit but not much. my rubbernose pleco was upside down and his pectoral fins are red. At this moment they seem to be breathing better and looking a little more alert. What should I do this moment? Would a water change be too much for them? Again i have no test kits.... I KNOW right. please and thank you i really love these fish.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:18 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

@Fish Guy84 Water Change NOW!
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:32 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Agree. Big water change and keep lights off to let them recover. Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:46 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They are recovering!!! I will do a water change now!!! Everyone is up and around... A little disoriented but swimming... Phew
AguaScape likes this.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 04:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Treat much the same as we might a human in carbon monoxide! Get them good air/ water by moving them to clean water or water changes. Treat them with a bit more care for a while to avoid stressing them further but they should all be okay after some time. For the short term, try to keep water as good as possible and still do a close look for anything odd as stress does seem to lead to disease outbreaks on some occasions. Most likely a near miss!!!
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 05:43 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thank you I will keep an eye out on them. I just did a 40% water change which isn't drastic for the tank because I usually do a 50% once a week. With the rubbernose pleco his pectoral fins are very red and even into his belly a little bit. Is there a chance that can be treated? He is suctioned onto the wall which is improvement considering he was upside down and not breathing. I just hope I didn't do any permanent damage.
AguaScape likes this.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 06:12 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would not do anything drastic as good water will gradually let them get it all back in shape. Just as all of our systems get "off" when we are exposed to gas for too long, fish organs do not get the right amount of O2 and that does all kinds of weird things but it should clear after a bit.
This is a recent post of my gassed fish with a picture of how bad they were and they all recovered fine:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...-confused.html
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 07:04 PM
Wannabe Guru

Full blast airstone.
kgbudge likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode