Did you have this issue? Plants shipped improperly - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:26 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Did you have this issue? Plants shipped improperly

no sellers names will be posted publicly to abide by form rules.
I am starting to feel like there are a LOT of idiot plant sellers.. or malicious ones that want the plants to die.. My last 2 shipments (not from forum members) I only bought after being assured of proper insulation being used.
1st package: 5 sides of styrafoam, top was left open to let all the cold in.. so useless!
2nd package: used thermal bubble wrap envelope... that was never sealed (cover for the sticky tape was still on it) so it was left wide open.. again useless.
Neither had heat packs.. just opened insulation.. like driving down the highway in a car in winter with the windows open.

I know I'm taking a risk buying in winter but seriously wtf.. why bother saying it will be insulated if its not done right!!

Anyways else having/had this issue?

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 03:40 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Yeah I got one yesterday in yellow bubble envelope and the plant was in one of those little cups coney islands serve ranch to you in.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 04:21 PM
Algae Grower

I order 250 dollers worth of plants come froze I was pissed

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:01 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Have you tried Buceplant?
I have found they have one of the best care in packaging of all the online vendors I have tried. You do have to choose ( an additional charge) for heat-packs. But, if you are buying plants in winter, then that's par for the course.
irishspy likes this.

post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:13 PM
Wannabe Guru

Several layers of newspaper wrapped around the bag that houses the plants is usually enough for most conditions. If your receiving the plants in an area that has below freezing or near freezing whether than they must be taken in right away, regardless of insulation/heatpack. After drop off is where 95% off the issues happen. A PO box is handy for plant delivery since they will always be delivered indoors.
Quesenek, OVT, Doogy262 and 1 others like this.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 06:38 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
I have found they have one of the best care in packaging of all the online vendors I have tried. You do have to choose ( an additional charge) for heat-packs. But, if you are buying plants in winter, then that's par for the course.
I think Buceplant has started adding heat packs when they deem necessary now and you don't even get to choose. I'm personally fine with that.
Quesenek likes this.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:02 PM Thread Starter
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevewb View Post
Yeah I got one yesterday in yellow bubble envelope and the plant was in one of those little cups coney islands serve ranch to you in.
>.<

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kfactor View Post
I order 250 dollers worth of plants come froze I was pissed
Yeh I'd be pissed too!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermichigan View Post
I think Buceplant has started adding heat packs when they deem necessary now and you don't even get to choose. I'm personally fine with that.
I've not tried them yet, may look at the site next time I need plants.
I don't mind paying for heat pack or insulation (as long as its done right).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asteroid View Post
Several layers of newspaper wrapped around the bag that houses the plants is usually enough for most conditions. If your receiving the plants in an area that has below freezing or near freezing whether than they must be taken in right away, regardless of insulation/heatpack. After drop off is where 95% off the issues happen. A PO box is handy for plant delivery since they will always be delivered indoors.
I may try a PO box. The offenders mentioned above did not use any paper or other padding-only open top Styrofoam, and the other just a had a thermal envelope (open) in a box bouncing around.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 03:30 PM
Planted Member

Hi guys I am new here but figured I might as well jump right in on this conversation.

If you are having the plants shipped during winter and they use FedEx or UPS you can have the shipment redirected to a local FexEx or UPS store. You just log into the shippers site and enter the tracking number and select to have it held at local facility. We have to do the same thing during the summer for wine shipments. It keeps them from sitting out side and ruining all the wine.

No need for a PO box and there is no extra charge.

Tim Sapp
Frisco, TX
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You can do that with the USPS, too. Just ask the shipper to tell the post office it is to be held for pickup at the other end. Then you should receive a notice from local post office when your package arrives- and you go pick it up.

But - I'm waiting impatiently for actual spring weather to arrive. Spring and fall, that's it for me.

|
|
|
|
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 02:26 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
I've ordered from online vendors and from fellow aquarists.
Never had plants improperly packaged.
I've also shipped in all seasons without issue.

My issue:
Seller has trimmed plants, sat in a tray, tote or baggy for a few days before shipping or posting for sale.
These type of items tend not to arrive well.

Growing is not that difficult.
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:09 AM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (126/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
My issue:
Seller has trimmed plants, sat in a tray, tote or baggy for a few days before shipping or posting for sale.
These type of items tend not to arrive well.
Absolutely. Plants to be shipped should be harvested right at shipping time. Not last week's trim thats been floating in a bucket all week. Healthy plants ship best.

Cold packs and heat packs, dont need them for plants. Cold packs are worthless after few hours anyway.

Healthy plants that are well packaged, couple extra layers of bags and bubble wrap in extreme temps, will be just fine 99% of the time - as long as they are brought inside as soon as they are delivered. Thats the main to understand ordering plants by mail.
Seattle_Aquarist and Asteroid like this.

post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 01:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
You can do that with the USPS, too. Just ask the shipper to tell the post office it is to be held for pickup at the other end. Then you should receive a notice from local post office when your package arrives- and you go pick it up.

But - I'm waiting impatiently for actual spring weather to arrive. Spring and fall, that's it for me.
That is a good option, I just wish they had that within the paypal system (or I never noticed it.) I think you need to do that at either the USPS website or in person.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Sender has to request it in person, at the post office, as far as I understand. And it's not always an option at the receiving end, unfortunately.

|
|
|
|
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 03:36 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09 View Post
Sender has to request it in person, at the post office, as far as I understand. And it's not always an option at the receiving end, unfortunately.
Yeah, it's a good option for the occasional seller, but if you buy from someone selling a lot they probably won't do it. With paypal everything is auto-filled and effortless. The postage is also less expensive. I do believe you can request this on USPS.com but it would be outside of the paypal system.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 04:04 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (65/100%)
Hi All,

"Hold for Pickup" for USPS Priority Mail can be done by the shipper on the USPS website using their "Click and Ship" online webpage, however not for Padded Flat Rate envelopes???; I have not found when using PayPal for shipping the "Hold for Pickup" option when placing order for shipment.

Roy_________

75 Gallon, 2X55W AH Supply CF 8800K, 1X 59W Fluval Plant (3.0); 45 Gallon Tall, 1X 46W Fluval Plant (3.0); 30 Gallon Long; Fluval F&P 2.0; 20 Gallon, 1X26W AH Supply LED; all with CO2 & (Calcined) Montmorillonite Clay

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode