Questions about upgrading from Aqua Clear 20 to Aqua Clear 50 - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By jayo
  • 1 Post By kaldurak
  • 2 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 05:39 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Questions about upgrading from Aqua Clear 20 to Aqua Clear 50

I've got a 13gal Wide Aqueon tank with various plants, corys, and 8 cherry shrimp that is currently running a Aqua Clear 20. I'm running the stock sponge and a bag of Marineland bio rings (no carbon). I don't like how jammed the little AQ20 is and I also want more circulation so I'm thinking of getting a Aqua Clear (Fluval) 50. This will give me more room for the media and circulation. I have a couple of questions.

Do you think the AQ 50 is too much for my tank? My tank measures 24" long x 16" High x 9" deep. I'm pretty sure it's 13 gallons.

What is the best practice for moving from a AQ20 to a AQ50? I'm thinking of just moving the sponge and bio rings from the AQ20 to the new AQ50 filter. I think the old sponge and bio-rings will (might?) fit in the larger filter if I don't use the carbon bag? I'll use the new sponge and bag of bio media it comes with and put the sponge and bio media from the AQ20 on top. After a few weeks, I'll take out the old sponge from the AQ20 and replace it with more bio media? Does this sound like a good plan?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:22 PM
Algae Grower

I have an AQ50 on a 20H (at full flow). I think it would be fine on a 24" tank.

I agree with your plan for keeping the old sponge and biomedia to transfer biological filtration capability. Another thing you might consider is getting a Fluval Edge Prefilter, which is a sponge prefilter that fits over the AQ intake (which you'll want if your shrimp breed to prevent shrimplets from getting sucked into the AQ). Run that prefilter for a week or two before the swap, and transfer it over also at swap time.
RemoGaggi likes this.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 06:53 PM Thread Starter

Thanks. I do have the prefilter on my old AQ20, so I'll move that over too.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-26-2019, 08:02 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

If you find that the volume of water that the AQ50 pushes to be too much for your tank size - I'm very confident that the AQ20 impeller fits in the AQ50. That way you get the increased media, but keep the flow rate down. If the AQ20 impeller doesn't fit, I know the AQ30 impeller does fit.
RemoGaggi likes this.

My tank journal.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-27-2019, 02:12 AM
Wannabe Guru

The AC20, AC30, AC50, and AC70 impellers are all interchangeable. But before opting for the AC20 impeller in the AC50 filter, rotate the inlet tube to the right to minimize flow and maximize re-filtration. If the out flow is still to great, you could make a baffle from a water bottle or swap out the impeller.
Guyver and RemoGaggi like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode