Woo Hoo, Got it started! - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By UcfKnighter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 08:32 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Woo Hoo, Got it started!

I was able to get my 54 Gallon corner tank going this weekend finally after much anticipation. Naturally it led to some questions that I was unsure of, and hope to have someone help me out.

Equipment:
54 Gallon Aqueon Corner Tank
Aqueon modular light with Beauty Max, Color Max, and Day whites led's installed
Fluval 306 Canister
Fluval E2000 Heater:
substrate: Black Diamond Sand - Rinsed thoroughly

Plants:
Amazon Sword
Echinodorus Ozelot

Dwarf Hair Grass
Moss
curly leafed sword
2 plants whose name escapes me at the moment. I did not write them down... :/

After filling the tank I dosed With Seachem Prime, and I also did something that maybe I shouldn't have. This led to my questions

I used API Quick Start after adding DrTims Aquatic Ammonium Chloride in hopes of getting the cycle started. This is something I haven't done before but wanted to sort of spead up the cycle. ... Or at least get the cycle going.

After dosing, the next day I noticed that the water was murky, not really cloudy.
I tested the water and results are:
7.7 PH
8.4 High PH
8 ppm Ammonia
0 Ni
0 NA

So I did a 50 percent water change and afterwards the readings were the same, except with 2 ppm Ammonia.

This evening I did another 50 percent water changed and results are

7.7 PH
8.4 High PH
2 ppm Ammonia
0 Ni
5ppm NA

The Nitrates surprised me, so I am curious if this means that the tank is beginning to cycle?

Think I answered some of my own questions re reading the cycling thread

Was the murkiness caused by the high Ammonia or, could it have been caused by the fact I did not wash my drift wood. I purchased this from an aquarium store and it was a step I missed.... I rinsed the Black Diamond sand very thoroughly and a little dust could have gotten left behind, but not much. I was very thorough with each bucket to ensure I didn't have trouble with it.

I also noticed some of my plants having issues. The leaf tips on some look burned almost, Was this an issue due to the Ammonia? Or, is this part of meltback I am anticipating?

This is my first go with plants, and I have been looking at resources but not 100 percent sure what I should be looking at plantwise regarding health

54 Gallon Corner Aqueon in it's infancy

Last edited by microm3gas; 02-25-2019 at 09:55 PM. Reason: added a plantm,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-28-2019, 05:42 PM
Are these real?

PTrader: (194/100%)
With planted tanks, there is no need to artificially start a cycle. Just wait a couple of weeks for plants to establish, then add livestock (fish, shrimp, etc) slowly, over the course of weeks, to give your filter time to adjust.

Plants are really good in eating up metabolic by-products of the fish, so as long as you keep up regular water changes there shouldn't be any problem.

And yes, adding large amounts of ammonia will kill anything in that tank.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 11:39 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wasserpest View Post
With planted tanks, there is no need to artificially start a cycle. Just wait a couple of weeks for plants to establish, then add livestock (fish, shrimp, etc) slowly, over the course of weeks, to give your filter time to adjust.

Ok, maybe I should lay off the Ammonia or what have you.

But I have a question that I was going to post another thread about. I don't understan what is happening to my water. It is continually getting dark, almost a reddish hue. Like looking through some pond water.

My Water parameters are:

Ph 7.8

High PH 8.4
Ammonia 2

Nitrites 0

Nitrates 4( last measured 2 days ago)

I will measure nitrates again this evening, but It was strange to have them in the water. I will also test my tap water.

I did a 50 percent water change saturday and another sunday to clear up my tank. It was clear Monday through tuesday, but then noticed it was getting darker again.

Are there suggestions what to test to find out what is happening?

The intake on the fluval feels kind of slimy at the top of the hose, and I notice almost a sheen on the water.

Did I not rinse the black diamond sand well enough? Does anyone have experience in what a tank looks like if that is the case?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-01-2019, 09:23 PM
Algae Grower

The cloudiness could be from the driftwood,the sand, or even a new filter pad. Is any of your equipment used? Sometimes just older left-over film can make a tank cloudy for a little bit. Post a picture of the tank so we can get a feel for how cloudy it is. Is the water turning a yellowish color? That would be from the tannins in the driftwood coming out, and that's ok. Tannins can be helpful to fish.

People debate this but I believe (even in planted tanks) a full cycle should be complete. I don't agree with subjecting fish to ammonia spikes if avoidable.

In my opinion I would not do any more water changes. I would see if the water settles and I would continue to check the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates to see where in the cycle you are.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 12:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by UcfKnighter View Post

People debate this but I believe (even in planted tanks) a full cycle should be complete. I don't agree with subjecting fish to ammonia spikes if avoidable.

In my opinion I would not do any more water changes. I would see if the water settles and I would continue to check the ammonia/nitrites/nitrates to see where in the cycle you are.

No, for this tank I started with everything new. Water parameters are good and I got my first reading of Nitrites yesterday. at .25ppm

The water is brownish/dark reddish and I was beginning to suspect tannins after researching. I should have cleaned the driftwood, a step I missed in prepping everything else. In my mind was ok since I purchased from a store.... but it's still driftwood....

I am getting API BIO-CHEM ZORB to put in my fluval to help filter tannins. I understand they are beneficial, but at this point my tank is extremely dark. I don't see signs of algae, and besides some of the original burned tips don't see further plant damage. I will wait on water parameters and the filter to see what happens now.

I don't intend on adding anything until the tank is cycled

tank before it darkened up

Tank Now

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2019, 03:13 PM
Algae Grower

Oh that's definitely tannins and I think it looks beautiful Here's one of my tanks and one of my favorite tanks ever.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
microm3gas likes this.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 12:09 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I like the look, but It's a bit darker than I want. my pictures don't do it justice, it's almost black lol.

I wouldn't mind having some in there, as It adds to the natural look but don't think my light can penetrate to the bottom and well I want to see some of the stuff....

i like your tanks, the bottom one in particular.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:40 AM
Algae Grower

I wish I could take credit for the bottom one but it's not mine.

Regular water changes will take the tannins out. Using any type of chemical filtration will slow down a full cycle. Did you read about fishless cycling with ammonia?

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2019, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I did read about fishless cycling, and currently going through it.

I'll do a water change today, was part of the plan anyway and have filter media ordered for the filter, and am considering Seachem purigen also depending on results.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode