Anyone successfully rid their tank of snails - The Planted Tank Forum
 12Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Anyone successfully rid their tank of snails

I thought I had an apple snail. Evidently not. I've killed at least 10-15 in 24hrs, removed the big snail and removed 2 "jelly sacs" from the sand. Not sure if those were anything but better safe than sorry.
Anyways, I dont want 500 snails so can you successfully get rid of them? I have shrimp and that's my only issue with using a chemical product.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:24 PM
Planted Member

A Botia loach will certainly keep them under control, if not eliminate them entirely.
post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 03:32 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
If you don't have other snails or shrimp copper will kill them, if you have fish in the tank be mindful how much you use as it can harm them in stronger doses. Some people will use copper based fish meds, I've heard of using pennies (don't know how effective it is).

The product "No Planaria" got rid of mine-did a 9-12 day treatment kills all the hatched one and any newly hatched before they get a chance to lay more eggs. If you have snails you want to keep alive(like nerite) remove from tank before treatment-do 90% water change before adding the pet snail back.

Some people will put in a blanch leafy green like lettuce after lights out and pull it out in the morning covered in snails (doesn't get all of them but keeps population down).

Using fish to get rid of snails it not a guarantee and many people introduce fish that aren't compatible with their tank size/other fish in tank, leading to more problems.
Some people use assassin snails but I think they'll just breed prolifically too.

I personally don't mind snails they eat uneaten food, dead plant matter, diatoms (brown algae), if you have trumpet snails they'll sift the sand substrate for you. If you have a ton of snails your tank is out of whack and needs adjusting (less food/clean up dead plant leaves/adjust light, ferts, co2 to deal with an algae).

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:07 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
Some people use assassin snails but I think they'll just breed prolifically too.
They have live births of only 1 baby at a time. Highly unlikely they will take over a tank. The real issue when getting them is what to feed them once your tank has no snails.
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AquaAurora View Post
......I personally don't mind snails they eat uneaten food, dead plant matter, diatoms (brown algae), if you have trumpet snails they'll sift the sand substrate for you. If you have a ton of snails your tank is out of whack and needs adjusting (less food/clean up dead plant leaves/adjust light, ferts, co2 to deal with an algae).
------
+1 - I see snails as a valuable housekeeping asset and much like beneficial biology, their population is governed by the available resources (which in this case is waste products.)
Pearl_Gourami and Aku Sakana like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 10:57 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (4/100%)
I had a huge outbreak of snails in my old 40g. Likewise I think they have their place but these were a bit much. In retrospect, probably my fault with too much food and too much light. Anyway, bought 5 assassins. Tank was clear of snails in a month. Every so often I would go to some of the local pet stores and ask if I could grab some of the snail and they graciously let me. The five was about 15 when I broke the tank down two years later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-09-2019, 01:38 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (2/100%)
I got a single assassin snail and it wiped out all the other snails in my 65 gallon over the course of a couple of months. It never reproduced. I would recommend one if you have the patience to wait for it to do its job.
kreesdqban and Pearl_Gourami like this.
post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 01:41 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
I put a small colony of assassin snails in my sump to control the population down there while my black kuhli loach colony takes care of those in the 75g display tank. I've only had 1 or 2 new assassins in the 2 yrs I've had the colony.

75g that has rolled through various incarnations over the years...
post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-13-2019, 02:13 PM

I've had problem with over population snails before. After I put 3 assassin snail, MTS, Bloodhorn and other snail was gone in 2 months. Now I've tank full of assassins.
Pearl_Gourami likes this.
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 09:43 PM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Yep..Clown loach
kreesdqban likes this.
post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-14-2019, 11:55 PM
Algae Grower

If you have CO2 system, crank it up. Next morning you can see they are on the top of the tank and you can easily pick them out.
post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 12:27 AM
Algae Grower

I actually have a 5g tank that I "breed" snails in for my assassins in the main tank

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 03:39 AM
Algae Grower

One of the best ways to control snails is to not over feed, regularly gravel vac, and don’t grow algae. You won’t completely remove all snails this way, but you will keep the population way down. A major snail explosion is a sure sign of a dirty tank, and they will help get the tank waste down normally until they start controlling their own population.
burr740 likes this.
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 05:12 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenTheLlama View Post
One of the best ways to control snails is to not over feed, regularly gravel vac, and don’t grow algae. You won’t completely remove all snails this way, but you will keep the population way down. A major snail explosion is a sure sign of a dirty tank, and they will help get the tank waste down normally until they start controlling their own population.

I'm not sure that applies to MTS. I feed the one tank where I have them very, very lightly and they're still completely out of control. I actively try to grow pond and rams horn snails in other tanks for my puffers and even feeding heavy I can't get them to come anywhere close to reproducing like the MTS do. They do keep things clean, I'll give them that much. Every single mm of the tank gets scoured by them. Just too damn many though.
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 03-15-2019, 06:30 AM
Algae Grower

I’ll admit I haven’t ever had any explosions of MTS populations, but it could be that a few snail species are not as strongly affected by my suggestions. But really what it boils down to is: if you reduce the food source, you will reduce the snail population. So, if you find what your MTS are feeding on and then reduce the amount of their food source, their population will decrease. There will only be as many snails in your tank as can find enough food to grow and breed. Less food source=less breeding adults=less future snails.
Willcooper likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode