• 1 Post By Discusluv
  • 1 Post By LuluCocoPopoRoro

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:33 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
New hob filter

Hey Guys,

I bought an aquarium, and it’s almost cycled. My filter media is lavarock and Filter floss.

However, I am not a fan of the HOB filter i currently have (a marina Slim 15). It has the pump on the inside of the tank, and doesn’t give me much room for media. So not only does it steal space from my tank interior, it also doesn’t give me a lot of room for media.

I bought myself a new filter. I’m just debating the best way to install it without disrupting my cycle.

I see it one of two ways:

1. I completely remove the old filter, transfer the lava rocks into the new one, and continue as normal.

2. I keep this hob filter running until the cycle is done. After that I would run the new HOB packed with a mix of new Lava rock and old lavarock, while still keeping the old one running for a while.

At the moment, I don’t have anything in the tank besides aquascappibg, so I’m not too worried about stressing out the fish.

Any advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:38 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
The best method is to put the new one on with the old. You can start this now, no need to wait until the first one is cycled.
The existing filter will seed the new quicker than if just transferred bio-media as the inner casing, tubes, etc... also have bacteria growing on the filter as well.
Leeatl likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 12:47 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Should I put some of the old media in the new filter?

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 01:40 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
No, just put the new one on with new media.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-24-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Awesome. How do I know it’s done seeding?
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 02:26 PM
Wannabe Guru

I would just transfer the 'old' or existing media to the new filter and replace it. There's no advantage in running old and new filters, especially during an initial cycling process.

What is the new HOB brand?
I'm a fan on the Hagen (now Fluval) Aquaclear design. Some feel that the relatively new Seachem Tidal is better, but I'm not convinced (I like some of the features but not how they're doing the sponges.)

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-25-2019, 05:24 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

I ended up adding my new one next to my old one. Since I have no fish yet, this will be a good way to seed some ‘quarentine’ media, that I’ll keep in my tank, incase if
Emergency.

I got a top fin. My marina s15 was ok, but I wanted more room for media, and didn’t like the hudge power head in the tank.

Since my media is lava rock, I was able to take two small pieces out of the old one, and mixed it in with the new media.
Discusluv likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode