Planning my first planted tank. Will this setup work? - The Planted Tank Forum
 4Likes
  • 1 Post By RosRox
  • 3 Post By OVT

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 06:01 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Planning my first planted tank. Will this setup work?

Hi, I have a 65 gallon tall that I plan to setup soon. But, I want to gather some more knowledge before I jump into it.

I would like to keep the tank as simple and low maintenance as possible. This is what we have/ plan to have soon:

- 65 gal tall (36L x 18W x 24H)
- 36" finnex planted + cc LED
- Organic soil capped with coarse sand (probably about 3" total)
- 2 x zoo-med 226 powerheads
- eshopps r-100 sump (bioballs in refugium)
- 660 gph kedsum pump
- We plan to keep low to mid difficulty plants (anubias, swords, java fern, vallisneria, dwarf hairgrass carpet, etc)

I would like to avoid CO2 because its one less thing to worry about. However I do want lush plants and a full carpet. Being that my tank is tall, will that be possible? Also, can flourish excel be a good alternative to pressurized CO2 in my case?

Are my lights strong enough, or too much?

What are your thoughts? Thanks for your time.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
LittleSquishy likes this.

Last edited by RosRox; 02-23-2019 at 02:52 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 09:43 AM
OVT
Carpe Diem

PTrader: (144/100%)
Welcome to TPT.

- a single LED strip on a 18" wide tank mounted right on the rim will not give you an even coverage. With a 24" depth, a dwarf hair grass carpet is questionable

- power heads provide no mechanical (or any other) filtration. They also get clogged up easily. Can you run a tank without filtration? For sure.

- Excel is not an alternative to injected co2 but you can grow lush plants without either

- Soil substrate is a personal choice and it can get messy, in more then one way. If you ever decide to move, say, an Amazon Sword, the tank will not look pretty. Multi- layered substrates have a nasty habit of getting mixed.

A low maintenance tank can still be a handfull, especially with lifestock. I would still budget at least a couple of hours a week for general maintenance.
Greggz, Grobbins48 and RosRox like this.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-23-2019, 02:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by OVT View Post
Welcome to TPT.

- a single LED strip on a 18" wide tank mounted right on the rim will not give you an even coverage. With a 24" depth, a dwarf hair grass carpet is questionable

- power heads provide no mechanical (or any other) filtration. They also get clogged up easily. Can you run a tank without filtration? For sure.

- Excel is not an alternative to injected co2 but you can grow lush plants without either

- Soil substrate is a personal choice and it can get messy, in more then one way. If you ever decide to move, say, an Amazon Sword, the tank will not look pretty. Multi- layered substrates have a nasty habit of getting mixed.

A low maintenance tank can still be a handfull, especially with lifestock. I would still budget at least a couple of hours a week for general maintenance.
Thanks for that breakdown.

As for filtration, I forgot to add that we also have an eshopps r-100 sump with a 660 gph pump. We plan to use the powerheads in addition to this. Or maybe the powerheads will not be necessary anyways.

Also, the carpet will most likely be at about 21", considering the substrate. Which im hoping will make some difference?

Thanks again

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode