• 2 Post By ipkiss
  • 1 Post By ipkiss
  • 1 Post By Aku Sakana

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 10:23 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
My easy co2 method for multiple tanks

Well, a long time ago I had a high tech tank and after moving, getting all my tanks back up and contemplating my planted tanks, I decided to not go the diffuser rout. Yes, part of the reason was that during the move I broke my diffuser(stupid glass) but really it's because I have multiple tanks in different rooms and I always hated the fact that the co2 just exited out the top. I know there's better ways of diffusing the co2 than an in tank diffuser but I wanted to try something else.
So what I have now is what some call a passive diffuser but I call it a suspended bubble diffuser doohickey.
1"x6" test tube
1" suction cups (made for large heaters)
5lb co2 cylinder
Cheap regulator
Any hose u got

The test tubes attach well and hold the co2 bubble while dissolving over the course of 48 hours. For large tanks I use 2 or 3 tubes. Yep, I have to fill them up 3 times a week but I'm not dissolving co2 in my house either.
I'm not sure what my co2 ppm is in the tanks but my plants pearl and for 7 tanks it works.
I first used glass tubes but I found plastic ones way cheaper and no threat of breaking in the tank.
No diffuser
No bubble counter
No special co2 hose
No timer
No solenoid
Just time and a tube setting in my tank
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 05:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Anyone else using this method? Are you doing something different? Larger tube? Position of tube ? Any thoughts on passive co2 diffusing?

Sent from my SM-N910T3 using Tapatalk
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:24 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
ahh, passive diffusion? there's always talk

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/8...diffusion.html

searching for co2 bell on this site results in some of these..
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...-question.html
that one goes pretty far back.. hmm.

a little more recent:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...nderwater.html

this guy interestingly even tried to use his scape to work as such
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...-diffuser.html

I've seen these threads pop up now and then, but one of the more interesting recent ones (with a large jar) courtesy of @Edward was this
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/1...tration-4.html

and finally, since you're looking at alternatives, @Deanna came up with something else altogether..

https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/9...ew-design.html

Anyway, I feel it's not too common because,

a) it's suspected to be less efficient (despite some members' obvious success),
b) worse of all, I suspect, to most people, it's not 'fun'.

Despite appearances, this 2019 version of plantedtank definitely has a high tech bias. True also of the hobby in general lately.
Greggz and Deanna like this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 07:54 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I've seen something similar on YouTube, shop keeping used liter soda bottles for passive co2, their plants look stunning!
Have not tried it myself, tempted to.. but I am such a worry wort.. afraid of killing off my shrimp in the tank I'd use it on.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
~
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:09 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks for the video , that was a fun watch. Not sure about using bigger bottles since I don't know my ppm of c02 and don't want to overdose fish , nor do I want them(bottles) floating around the tank. The tubes diffuse faster in areas with high water movement, works good next to the outlet pipes.

post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:10 PM
Wannabe Guru

Let's get real though. The day I see @burr740 or @Xiaozhuang or the current hobby trendsetters roll with one of these on their uber high tech tanks, I'm not convinced its a 'better' method.

Good enough for a little beyond low tech? Well yes. Any CO2 is probably better than none. And it's probably well good enough if its growing the plants you want to grow. But, if you notice in the video, almost all those tanks have plants that can be grown even with guys with tanks dosing just excel. "Stunning" is highly subjective here.

Good enough for the demanding conditions of 100+ PAR at substrate on a large tank? I dunnoo about that.....
Retreading the great internet phrase and a @Greggz favorite... "Pics, or it didn't happen!"
Greggz likes this.

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Yea, I get why aquascapers go for the max but I'm not looking for the high end just a method that grows good plants without pumping co2 into the air for 8 hours a day. If I can use passive co2 to grow rotala butterfly that would be nice but I'll probably just grow what works in my co2 limit .

ipkiss likes this.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:20 PM
Wannabe Guru

fair enough

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipkiss View Post
Despite appearances, this 2019 version of plantedtank definitely has a high tech bias. True also of the hobby in general lately.
This idea has been around a long time. I built one for a supplemental tank. Tried it in a 29g and a 50g tank.

If you want a reasonable concentration of CO2, there should be minimal surface agitation. This doesnt work well with HOB or air based filtration. Also, the cylinder needs to be sized correctly. A large peanut butter jar in a 29g tank was work a half point drop in pH. Depending on your water chemistry, this may provide a nice boost to Co2.

Its all about finding a reservoir that is large enough to drop the pH and minimal surface agitation.

Bump:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku Sakana View Post
Yea, I get why aquascapers go for the max but I'm not looking for the high end just a method that grows good plants without pumping co2 into the air for 8 hours a day. If I can use passive co2 to grow rotala butterfly that would be nice but I'll probably just grow what works in my co2 limit .

See my post above. The utility of this method comes down to how much actual CO2 there is in the water column, which will depend on water chemistry and other factors.

I think its a great idea, but other factors come into play.

post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:37 PM
Wannabe Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisX View Post
Its all about finding a reservoir that is large enough to drop the pH and minimal surface agitation.
I was a bit puzzled about the possibility of "gassing" fauna, but I guess that's it right there. The 'minimal' surface agitation. This clearly removes the offgassing "failsafe" that we've currently been programmed to accept. https://www.advancedplantedtank.com/gas_exchange.html

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:38 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I do have surface agitation but was thinking of running a skimmer a few hours at night instead. Added red stem plants recently, so will see what happens.

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 08:53 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aku Sakana View Post
Thanks for the video , that was a fun watch. Not sure about using bigger bottles since I don't know my ppm of c02 and don't want to overdose fish , nor do I want them(bottles) floating around the tank. The tubes diffuse faster in areas with high water movement, works good next to the outlet pipes.

Yeh wasn't saying 'do this way instead' just that's my exposure to passive co2, agree with you about potential overdosing.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:07 PM
Planted Tanker

PTrader: (122/100%)
Interesting thread. Tbh I find this method fascinating. Never tried it though

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 09:12 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

If it weren't for the out-gassing it'd be perfect in a sump.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2019, 02:31 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (8/100%)
Its definitely an old school idea. Up there with under-gravel and diatom filters. Sometimes old methods fizzle out for no reason other than new stuff comes along. Doesn't mean the old way doesn't still work! I thought one of the benefits of passive diffusion was that you essentially cant over-do it. There is only so much co2 the water can "absorb" given the relative small surface area of the container holding the gas vs the presumably much larger surface area that contacts the atmosphere.

Rich's Fishes
Curator of an ever growing fishroom that currently houses 30 different tanks. Most full of at least water....some even have fish!

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode