Mite-like Brown Bugs Attached To Betta Fin - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:14 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Mite-like Brown Bugs Attached To Betta Fin

I've had my betta since April 2018. I just recently switched him over to a 5g fluval spec v December 2018. There's always been copepods/seed shrimp and tiny flatworms in his tanks.

For the past... maybe 3 weeks i've noticed some tiny brown bugs that resemble mites or lice that stay around the substrate (i've been having algae issues on fluval stratum) but I never see them move. I haven't added anything new to the tank so i'm not sure where they came from.

This morning I noticed one of them attached to the middle of his long fins and another one attached to his pectoral fin. They don't move. Obviously i'm panicking because they're not parasites but some type of bug.

Does anyone know what they are and how I can kill these bugs? They're the size of a tip of a pen. I've tried to search around and i've seen names like Hydrozetes but i don't know how to kill them. Would PraziPro work? This is the first time i've seen them on the betta.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 06:45 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I agree it is probably a water mite, but a positive ID is not possible from the images.

They eat wood fibers, fungi, algae and detritus and are parasitic on aquatic insects, but not on fish. I say, leave them be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrachnidia
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:16 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Fisher View Post
I agree it is probably a water mite, but a positive ID is not possible from the images.

They eat wood fibers, fungi, algae and detritus and are parasitic on aquatic insects, but not on fish. I say, leave them be.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrachnidia
Yes, i've been finally getting a hold of the algae issues i've been having and the hair algae has been dying recently. It seems they're staying around the dead hair algae (which needs to be siphoned out today). I had no issues with them the past couple of weeks but these 2 mites are still attached to my betta's fins since this morning which made me kind of nervous.

Edit: It looks like these https://imgur.com/a/roCKc

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode