Too much filtration? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:22 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Too much filtration?

Hey everyone, I am setting up a 40B that I am going to be stocking with mostly amono shrimp and black neon tetras. I have a couple filters that I could use on this tank, a Fluval 406 and an Fx4. I have it plumbed up for the fx4 but I'm worried that it will too much circulation for what I am stocking, even running the output half open. I would like to get some input on if I can use the fx4 or should I take it off and use the 406 instead?

I have pictures of the tank in my profile.

Thanks

John
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:09 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Just put a valve on the return line and set the flow to what you need. Pumps push to a pressure head. A completely closed off return line is like pumping to an unobtainable height. No harm but no flow.

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (0/0%)
That would be kind of overkill. Even at 1/2 still a lot. Can the FX4 run OK at 1/4-ish? That you probably could diffuse enough to make it workable. The 406 seems like the obviously better choice but don't know how much work you'd have to change things around.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode