If a fish ate a shrimp... - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 12:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
If a fish ate a shrimp...

Would there be any remains? I have 3 diamond tetras (getting more or rehoming, havent figured that out yet) and 7 shrimp (blue velvet, red cherry, amano). I have confirmed 4 are still alive and seen 3 exoskeleton in the tank but I've not seen all in a while. My hubby is convinced the tetras are them but wouldnt there be some indication of that? A carcas or piece of something remaining?
I want more shrimp but not if they're getting picked off!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:44 PM
Wannabe Guru

If the shrimp are small enough a fish might just swallow them whole.
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 01:48 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

They are definitely of reasonable size, at least I think so?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190208_171214_1550501279259.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	133.0 KB
ID:	877621  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20190216_134954_1550501310492.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	144.1 KB
ID:	877623  

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 02:31 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Shrimp would be much like fish and I would fully expect them to totally disappear when they die, no matter what the cause. Shrimp and other types of fish eat any food they find and a dead body is food. The main content of fish food is often other fish and shrimp, so it matter little to them if that content comes out of a can or just falls over dead! We are all predators of various levels!
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:10 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess I'm not accustom to fish disappearing. I've always found a carcas, even a small piece.
Sigh. That's too bad.

Would a betta be as dangerous to shrimp? My betta is very laid back so if I got rid of the tetras, if the shrimp stand a better chance?
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 03:49 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
I would suggest watching the tank action for a while before changing something ---If I liked what I have. If the fish are killing/eating the shrimp, the action should show. So some questions?
Do you see shrimp getting followed, picked at, etc. indicating the fish are bothering them? I would not expect a fish to suddenly eat a shrimp but if they are doing it, I would expect to see them working the problem at times when they are not always a success.
Since there are so many ways for shrimp to die, I would want more proof that the fish were the problem before changing.
Not wanting to point out the obvious but I find when my fish die, I'm often the culprit as often as my other fish. Once the shrimp is dead, it is certain that most anything else will be found picking/eating the leftovers as nature wastes very little in that way. So I would suggest watching and being very careful of the two actions. One is killing or picking at them and may require change, while the other is just taking advantage of an easy meal!
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 04:41 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Fantastic advice! Honestly, I watch my tank alot. I stay home all day and dont have a t.v so... my fish are what I watch!
I've never seen a fish chase, follow or attack a shrimp, and the shrimp are remarkably quick when startled at all. It's like they telaport haha I do see 1 tetra hover near their hiding spot, however I've never spotted any remains of any kind except molted exoskeletons.
So that's why I just feel confused why I cant find them. I know their hiding spots but it seems like alot to hide in the same spot! Unless they are being eaten in the wee hours of the morning, but even then, I'm up alot and always take a peek in the dark and never see anything nefarious.
I wonder how I can lure them out to see who is remaining, any suggestions?
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-18-2019, 07:46 PM
Planted Member

If you're finding exoskeletons, perhaps the shrimp are molting. Often they hide while this is going on. Or they molted, then were eaten whole.

Most Bettas will hunt shrimp until there are no shrimp.

I remain in awe as to how much a fish can swallow!

Last edited by Fisherking; 02-18-2019 at 07:50 PM. Reason: Spelling -2pts
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:08 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Oh saddness! You're probably right - eaten fresh after molting!

Would I have better luck with a Mexican lobster or crab or will they attack my betta? I just love having something interesting at the bottom!
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 02:03 AM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
Ditto what Fisherking said. When mine molt, I don't see them for a day or two. They are very good at hiding away safe while they are vulnerable. On the other hand, if a shrimp died the other ones will eat it, and nothing will be left. I have watched this happen. But I bet your missing shrimps will show up in a day or two, in their new skins.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 05:09 AM
Algae Grower

My betta never bothered adult shrimp for the years that I had him. Unfortunately when I went on vacation my friend over fed him too the point that when i got home after 4 days the entire tank was foggy and there was hundreds of pellets on the bottom of the tank. A few days later he had some bad infection and died. I told them to give him 3 pellets a day! Anyways, usually I find shrimp carcasses when they pass. Some of them will be ate but I have found one from time to time. Most were old age i think as my first batch was probably 3 years ago. A shrimp carcass, no matter what color they are alive, is a white/pinkish. It is easily recognizable from a molting shell. As far as I have found, most fish just leave the shrimp alone. I have glowlight and rummy nose tetras, as well as white cloud minnows, 3 large yo yo loaches, a cuckoo catfish and some dwarf frogs. Not even the loaches bother the shrimp. The ghost shrimp and cherries seem to be self sustaining but I imagine most of the hatchlings/ smallest of babies that get too brave and venture out of the floating hornwort clump get ate.

Furthermore, shrimp are great hiders. I remember when i first added them to my tank, I got 10 at the pet store. The next morning I could not find them ANYWHERE. I was so upset that I was about the tear down the tank and get rid of the yo yo loaches. The next morning when i went to feed the fish i counted 8 cherry shrimp and they were all fine and happy. I am sure the other two were just hiding somewhere as well. Especially after a water change, you can expect them to molt and hide for a few days as their new shells get nice and hard.
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 07:36 AM
Algae Grower

In my case, we had a pair of Tiger Barbs and they killed and ate 3 shrimps without even leaving a small remains.

The size of shrimps were too big for them to swallow as whole, however, they still kept disappearing. So we took a constant look and I encountered one Tiger barb eating our Ghost Shrimp. They behaved very much like a shark tearing the prey to pieces and the shrimps completely disappeared. Even their exoskeleton did not stand a chance.

We have tetras as well, but I don't think they are quick and aggressive enough to do the same as Tiger Barbs did.

Anyway, I am relatively new aquarium hobbyist and these are just some early observations from my community tank.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-19-2019, 12:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Thanks everyone for their input and experiences! I'm not going to give out hope just yet, but I will hold off on buying more for the time being lol I'll see if I can find a way to lure any out of their driftwood (it's big with sooooo many deep crevices). Then decide if they were worth the stupid money I spent on them lol
Fisherking likes this.
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 03:06 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (5/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8man View Post
Oh saddness! You're probably right - eaten fresh after molting!

Would I have better luck with a Mexican lobster or crab or will they attack my betta? I just love having something interesting at the bottom!
I would stay away from crabs and crayfish (lobster). They are usually aggressive and eat anything they can catch. Will hunt fish at night when they are "sleeping" and vulnerable. Furthermore, they eat plants and will oftentimes try to escape your tank.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 02-20-2019, 12:20 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Even something like a pom pom crab?? 😭

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode