Going Rimless? - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 06:58 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Going Rimless?

I know this has been discussed many times and the answer is always you're taking a risk converting a tank into rimless, just thought if I could get some opinions on my tank and situation.

Picked up a tank for free from a member who had it up and running for about a year, just emptied today. The issue with the tank was the trim on the top and bottom were broken/cracked. Went I got it home, the trims could literally be pulled right off.

Dimensions:
35 Gallons
36" Wide
12.5" Deep
18" High

The front and back glass is 5mm, the sides are 6mm.

I was planning on redoing the silicone and keeping the tank rimless.
It will only be full for about a month or so, a temporary home for about 5 fish until I set up my new tank, then will be used for a Fire Belly Newt so about a 40 percent filled, with of course styrofoam underneath.

Opinions? Is the glass thick enough, is the tank small enough, should I glue a cross member on top from front to back and also inside the actual tank on the bottom?

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 07:35 PM
Algae Grower

That's a pretty tall tank. I would brace the top if you fill it full. Bracing the bottom adds no structural integrity.
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-14-2019, 09:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

You can buy new trim for aquariums. Tanks with trim use the trim as part of the support to hold the glass together. So making a trim tank into a rimless model is very risky to do.
https://www.aquariumframeswholesale.com/frames

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode