Getting back into the hobby - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:13 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Getting back into the hobby

While doing my dilligent research before jumping back into the freshwater hobby, I want to gather as much inormation as possible surrounding heating. I plan to use an Innovative Marine Fusion 20 for the tank. I understand it's for "saltwater", but I like the dual intake grates and the flexibility of having a back chamber for filtration. With that being said, I planned to use a 100 watt heater for this system. Where I'm hoping to gather advice is on whether that's large enough? I keep my home at 62 during the work day and at night in the winters, so will this be sufficient to keep the water where it needs to be?

Throwing another piece into this, because of keeping my house at that temp, does it make sense to keep something with a closed top like the Fluval Flex 15? Would this close top cause problems for when I keep the house at 78 in the warmer months due to lack of heat exchange?

Sorry for all the "newbie" questions, but there are a lot of variables I'm playing with at this time!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 08:42 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

PTrader: (1/100%)
Try here.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/aquari...-guide-1381033

Planted S. Am. Waterbox 190 (141G dispaly w/sump & stand)
{new - in progress }
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 02:53 AM
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
1. Yes, 100w is large enough for 20g.
2. Some people get 2 under-powered heaters instead of 1 correctly-sized heater. The theory is that the mechanical switch in a heater will eventually fail in 1-10 years. When they do fail, they get stuck in the "on" position and cook your fish. If one of your under-powered heaters fails, you're more likely to notice before your fish get cooked, and it might not even be powerful enough to cook your fish in the first place.
3. closed top will always be more energy-efficient but you should be fine with an open top
4. personally, I like the seasonal temperature swings. I think it mimics nature. Stock with fish that can tolerate temperatures between 70 and 80. Set your heater at about 70 or 72 and you're good to go.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode