• 1 Post By LittleSquishy
  • 2 Post By AquaAurora
  • 1 Post By LittleSquishy

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 11:12 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Does my tank need a reseal?

Like the title says. I've seen some areas of the edges inside the aquarium with air pockets. I've pressed against these opaque colored silicone and they go clear when pressed down and then go back to a white opaque color. Should I reseal it? The tank is only about 2 years old and was stored in a cold garaged for a couple of days. I have watched some videos and what they instruct is to remove the silicone inside the tank without damaging the silicone holding the glass panels together. A second question I have is would I need to remove the silicone connecting the wood trim to the top of the aquarium? Tank is 72" X 16" X 24"

Here are some pictures,
https://imgur.com/X3QMfJd

https://imgur.com/dLKC4Sf
chayos00 likes this.

120 gallon - Under construction
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 12:55 PM
Wannabe Guru

If it was me, I'd take my time and reseal it and I never reseal around the top trim as it is not a potential leak point. Resealing a tank is really easy, just time consuming....but done correctly, the tank will go for many, many years leak free.
chayos00 and LittleSquishy like this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
5g quarantine / hospital / grow out, 10g fry tank, 37g fry grow out tank, 110g stock tank (was outdoor, now basement)

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 03:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

Glad to see you posted before the PM about this I just sent you LOL

Seeing that second picture of those big bubbles for the inner layer, I'd really question not resealing the tank. That first one didn't look too bad, but that second for sure was iffy...

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

I guess it is decided! I will be reseal the tank with momentive RTV108. I heard good things about this silicone. I think I will be going with the clear silicone instead of black so I can see mistakes. The videos I watched made it look easy and stressed complete removal of old silicone sealing the tank.
@AbbeysDad - Thank you for the clarification with the top trim!
@chayos00 - Glad to getting your reply and opinion
chayos00 likes this.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 11:47 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
I have a 40g breeder I resealed because I started seeing a lot of bubbles under the silicone. Not as pretty now but I know it won't explode. I'd personally scrape all the silicone and reseal it.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 07:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

@AquaAurora, Thats my plan. I'm waiting on amazon to ship the momentive RTV108 to me. It should arrive by Thursday. The tank is all cleaned up and ready to be unsealed. I won't remove it until I get the silicone on hand. After resealing i'll let it cure and then I can start drilling holes for the external overflow made by modular marine. I did find a chip on a side glass (outside of tank not inside) i'm not sure if I should leave it alone or fix it with a windshield repair kit. If I could that is great but my question is if the kit would be toxic to the fish inside. The chip does has silicone over it so i'm pretty sure the previous owner new.

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 01:45 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (36/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleSquishy View Post
@AquaAurora, Thats my plan. I'm waiting on amazon to ship the momentive RTV108 to me. It should arrive by Thursday. The tank is all cleaned up and ready to be unsealed. I won't remove it until I get the silicone on hand. After resealing i'll let it cure and then I can start drilling holes for the external overflow made by modular marine. I did find a chip on a side glass (outside of tank not inside) i'm not sure if I should leave it alone or fix it with a windshield repair kit. If I could that is great but my question is if the kit would be toxic to the fish inside. The chip does has silicone over it so i'm pretty sure the previous owner new.
I'd try to repair the chip
she had a chip at the top of the tank that finally split the whole piece of glass.
chayos00 and LittleSquishy like this.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.

~
~
~
~
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 03:21 PM
Wannabe Guru

Squishy, what's the chip look like? Can you share a picture? I've got a 100g tank in my garage with a chip on the glass, granted I have no plans on bringing it inside the house, but it has held up over the last year for me. LOL If it's repairable with a windshield kit, might as well give it a try!

I just had a thought, might want to keep some Flex Tape on hand just in case! LOL Wonder if it really would work temporarily?!?!

300g 6' acrylic aquarium acquired, in process to build/setup/plan setup

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-12-2019, 10:26 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

The chip is shallow and doesn't make it to the other side of the glass. The tricky thing is the previous owners decided to fill it in with silicone for some reason. To me it sticks out with some lights. I'm scared of picking at it and the chip turns into a hole. I think after I drill it I will see if I can fully remove the silicone because it isn't the same transparency as glass. I think resin from a windshield repair kit would be a closer match. Here's a picture for you guys to see. It just sticks out under light and that just annoys me.
Attached Images

chayos00 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode