Betta &... - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 07:59 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Betta &...

I'm new here so please forgive me if this has been asked a million times. Heres the deal. I have a 12 gallon tank. It currently homes 1 very timid betta, a bristlenose pleco, 6 shrimp and 3 diamond tetras. I had neon tetras in for less than 2 days and they nibbled the crap out of my bettas tail, though every single store and website says they are fine together. They went back to the store. The store, ironically that told me to put the betta and neons together now says my betta should be alone (though hes mot the issue). My question is, I was set to get 3 more diamond tetras I ordered but now I'm concerned. The 3 have been fine and no one has been aggressive towards my betta, nor he with anyone, but if I add 3more, as I thought I should since they are schooling fish, will it be problematic.
Also will his tail recover?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 08:44 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Can you show a photo of the setup to see how decorated/planted it is? Is it a mr.aqua 12g long?

Every betta and tank its kept in is different, a densely planted 55g with neon tetra and a betta is likely to be more successful than a 12g with them together. Also best bettas to keep with other fish are the short finned plakats- long fins means slower and more likely to be fin nipped.
Diamond tetras should be in a school of 6 or more in smaller groups the most dominant one will harass the others potentially to death (may not be immediate), also I think they'll be just as likely to nip betta fins.

As a side note: even if you find a fish that leaves the betta alone, the betta may turn at any point on the other fish. I'd read from another betta owner that kept either ember tetra or chilli rasboras (can't recall which) with a betta for 6 months no issues. Then they spotted the betta starting to hunt the schooling fish and had to separate before any were killed.

Frankly in anything less than a densely planted 20g long I wouldn't add other fish, but that's my opinion.
You should read this thread about betta community success:
https://www.plantedtank.net/forums/2...unty-tank.html

edit: as for tail recovery clean warm water and no more nipping from other fish it will heal. Some people use aquarium salt but I don't, have had some real bad fin damage heal up nicely, one turned out like a rose tail (was a delta tail betta). Increase water changes and keep temp 78F (26c) or 1-2 degrees F (1 C) higher.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~
~
~
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 10:03 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Hi. Heres my tank. It has 2 driftwood with anubis attatched, a moneywart in the back and another plant in the corner. I was going to get a few more for the front but wasnt sure what to get just yet.
Sorry the picture is sideways, I'm not sure how to rotate it in here.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190210_165754_1549839542961.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	169.5 KB
ID:	877143  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-11-2019, 07:23 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (37/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by B8man View Post
Hi. Heres my tank. It has 2 driftwood with anubis attatched, a moneywart in the back and another plant in the corner. I was going to get a few more for the front but wasn't sure what to get just yet.
Sorry the picture is sideways, I'm not sure how to rotate it in here.
That tank is more vertical than horizontal, and not much for plants. I'd keep the betta solo in that setup. You should have densely planted tank (can't see back wall at all, and if you look in from the side-not see all the way to the opposite side) if you want to keep other fish with betta-line of sight break up all over the place is very important. And having more horizontal space (side to side) is more important than vertical space when keeping betta with otehr species.

Due to photobuckets new bs cost for use of images on forums I have deleted all photobucket accounts. I apologize if you enjoyed or found my photos helpful.
Starting to update these threads

~
~
~
~

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode