Fuzz growing on 1 piece of driftwood - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:49 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Fuzz growing on 1 piece of driftwood

Last weekend (2/2) I did a major tank cleaning, removed rotting piece of drift wood. It has been in my tank since at least 2012, and was a local piece I cured myself. I have other pieces but they are stor bought. The store bought pieces were still hard and not rotting, so they all got cleaned up in a mix of RO water and tank water. After the tank cleared I found the my fish have gotten Ick. So I raised my temp to 87deg, and started using Paraguard(it is the only treatment my LFS had in stock). Just about all the spots are gone on my fish now but I have 1 piece of drift wood that has this kind of fuzz growing on it.
My tank is a 35g cube, I have been doing 4g water changes every 3 days before I dose Paraguard. I have tested the water but not sure how or if the Paraguard will affect it. PH 6.1, ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrate 5, TDS 145, Kh 2, Gh 3. I use RO water for water changes.
My question is, do I need to throw this piece of wood away or can I just clean it again?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 03:54 AM
Algae Grower

Hard to tell exactly from your photo.

If it is white and easily wipes off with your finger then it's just the normal 'new wood' bacterial bloom. You likely exposed fresh areas of wood when you cleaned it, so you're getting the new wood bacteria bloom all over again. This is most likely to me.

If it's grey-ish and doesn't wipe off easily then it's probably black brush algae.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 08:57 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

It has kind of blue haze to it, I think that's because of the Paraguard dosing. I'm going to do a water change in a little bit, I see how easy it comes off then. If it does come right off, do I need to clean it off or will it just go away on it's own. I dont remember doing anything with the wood when I first got it?
Thank you!

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 09:29 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by killa finn View Post
It has kind of blue haze to it, I think that's because of the Paraguard dosing. I'm going to do a water change in a little bit, I see how easy it comes off then. If it does come right off, do I need to clean it off or will it just go away on it's own. I dont remember doing anything with the wood when I first got it?
Thank you!

Sometimes new wood gets it, sometimes not. If that's what it is it you can clean it off but it will likely come back until it runs it's course. It will go away in time, or will be eaten by shrimp and some fish.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode