The joy of apisto colonies BUT - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:27 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
The joy of apisto colonies BUT

Well, I'm setting up my 75 after a house move and I need to decide on a colony of apistogramma. My favorite tanks are ones with a group of fish with a dominant male and a pecking order . Originally wanted a group of laetacara fulvipinnis but finding them probably want happen and I have to now get fish through the male so I'm wandering what was your favorite colony's.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 10:38 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
Many apisto species do well in what's called a harem, and what I mean by that is ONE (1!) male and any number of females from 3-7. Odd numbers seem to do best for some strange reason, not really sure why. But only one male. If you are trying a breeding harem, you want to avoid A. njisseni and A. panduro, or those closely related. They will pair-bond more readily than other members of the genus and then will gang-up on the other individuals in the tank of the same species. Otherwise, any species will do.

Conversely, you can do a tank full of ONLY males, but you can only have ONE (1!) of each species, and they all have to have differently-shaped dorsal & caudal fins. So an example of some theoretically compatible males would be A. agassizzi, A. elizabethae, & A. panduro. Or A. cacatuoides, A. rositae, and A. baenschi. Or any other combination of species you have access to that have different finnage.

If these general rules aren't followed there will be hell in the aquarium until one kills the other. Or they beat each other to death. More or less.

YMMV, and a 75 might be big enough to negate some violence you may experience, but I wouldn't risk it.

I have MTS

Last edited by mrjbacon; 02-06-2019 at 10:47 PM. Reason: added more info, and removed gibberish from when the cat walked across the keyboard

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode