Material suggestions to fill odd openings at aquarium top. - The Planted Tank Forum
 2Likes
  • 1 Post By KayakJimW
  • 1 Post By AbbeysDad

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 11:24 AM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (1/100%)
Material suggestions to fill odd openings at aquarium top.

What material do you use to fill openings at top of tank around heater, filter hoses,etc to control fish escape / water loss and still allow gas exchange? Ive used plastic mesh but winter home heat results in more water loss then prefer. Thanks,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:14 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
This one is intended for use on 3/16" thick glass, shop around if you have thicker for right size. It's the stuff that comes with glass tops (assuming you use glass tops) but over time it breaks or you change equipment and need to re-customize. A pair of sturdy scissors, like gardening, rope, heavy duty fishing scissors, etc allows you to make nice cuts.

What size tank and style of top do you have?

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
The problem is that, to allow gas exchange, you must also necessarily allow for evaporation.

My algae is the only plant that pearls.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 01:37 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by brothermichigan View Post
The problem is that, to allow gas exchange, you must also necessarily allow for evaporation.
I agree with this! Can't get one really well without the other also.
so perhaps some questions on how you might help one without the other being such a bother? Is the loss of water just a simple nuisance or is it a problem for you being gone for longer periods? Would a simple refill system seem to help?
I might suggest looking at some of the systems where a large bottle is set on the tank top and arranged so water moves into the tank as it goes low.
post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:06 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

one can always use an auto top off for evaporation of water.
https://www.bulkreefsupply.com/tunze...o-top-off.html
Not a fan of glass top's as it add's work to the tank cleaning the glass all the time so the plants get proper lighting.
https://www.clearviewlids.com/
There are several companies that make custom lids for aquariums now days.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 02:29 PM
Wannabe Guru

PTrader: (7/100%)
I'm not convinced that glass tops with plastic filler would cause "real world" problems unless there is near zero gap on the cuts. If you're trying to make perfectly snug cuts or seal the gaps with silicone then sure. But with 1/4" or so gaps (and factoring in the top probably gets opened daily for feedings) I feel like there's a balance of reducing evaporation while still allowing gas exchange. I keep my 29 pretty sealed up after a few Amano shrimp snuck out on heater/co2 lines and have never noticed any symptoms of low O2 or poor gas exchange. Lots of variables tho: tank temp, atmospheric pressure, size of gap between glass tops and water line, surface agitation, amount of flora vs fauna etc...

I use glass tops out of necessity having a wife that likes to diffuse oils and put fragrances into the air, having jumping fish and jailbreak shrimp, I just feel like its safer to cover up. But paths are many!
Discusluv likes this.

92% of all statistics are made up on the spot.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 06:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
When you have a 250.00 discus jump out of a 2 inch gap in your tank glass it tends to cure you about any "aesthetic" issues you have with tightly fitting lids. Crocodile tears, indeed.

I have no problems with tight fitting lids impeding gas exchange for my fish. Or, are you talking about for plants? No, not for low-tech systems. Hi-tech- maybe. But, then, if that is such a problem I would consider not keeping fish because all fish with a swim-bladder have the capability to jump in times of stress, during breeding, chasing between fish...
Its amazing how many people try to convince others on here that their fish ( with swim bladder) do not jump-ever- out of their lidless tanks.
Its more like, "Sure they jump, but I dont mind replacing the jumpers with new fish in order to keep my aesthetics satisfied."
Lol!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-06-2019, 08:08 PM
Wannabe Guru

This got silly. Glass tops don't impede gas exchange since they are obviously not air tight. They do allow for condensation that reduces water loss by evaporation. Glass tops also protect the light from unwanted moisture. As for cleaning, it takes me about two minutes a week to clean the two glass tops on my 60g. As for jumpers, well I just don't know. I had a large angel get scared, jumped and smashed against the glass top, then sank to the bottom dead!
Discusluv likes this.

Tank On, Mike-
60g Marineland Community, Finnex Planted+ 24/7, Silica (pool filter) sand.
10g, 29g, & 37g fry grow out tanks, 110g stock tank.

What came first, the chicken or the egg. It was the egg, but not the egg from a chicken.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 12:42 AM
Planted Tank Obsessed

I use netting tops on my tanks for jumpers I never worry about evaporation.
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:08 PM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
When you have a 250.00 discus jump out of a 2 inch gap in your tank glass it tends to cure you about any "aesthetic" issues you have with tightly fitting lids. Crocodile tears, indeed.

I have no problems with tight fitting lids impeding gas exchange for my fish. Or, are you talking about for plants? No, not for low-tech systems. Hi-tech- maybe. But, then, if that is such a problem I would consider not keeping fish because all fish with a swim-bladder have the capability to jump in times of stress, during breeding, chasing between fish...
Its amazing how many people try to convince others on here that their fish ( with swim bladder) do not jump-ever- out of their lidless tanks.
Its more like, "Sure they jump, but I dont mind replacing the jumpers with new fish in order to keep my aesthetics satisfied."
Lol!
I've seen my extra fat goldfish try it a couple times. It was cute.

I do notice my discus can really dart fast when startled. Fortunately, they head downward or behind cover when darting, or escaping attack. Knock on wood, cuz I really like the open top. I blow a fan across the water's surface to promote gas exchange and also keep the temp down to 1 or 2 deg below house temperature. I find I can saturate co2 more without the fish noticing if I use the fan.
Also, if my filter motor dies while I'm away from home, the fan helps keep the water oxygenated and circulated. The fish still go to the top, but its better than if I didn't have a fan.

I added a computer style back up power supply for my main filter in case there's a long power outage. Good for 6 hrs
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:21 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofisho
I added a computer style back up power supply for my main filter in case there's a long power outage. Good for 6 hrs
I have a battery backup on my 10 gallon for the filter and heater. If I lose power on my big tank I'll just use a batter powered air pump.
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 05:17 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (4/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychofisho View Post
I've seen my extra fat goldfish try it a couple times. It was cute.

I do notice my discus can really dart fast when startled. Fortunately, they head downward or behind cover when darting, or escaping attack. Knock on wood, cuz I really like the open top. I blow a fan across the water's surface to promote gas exchange and also keep the temp down to 1 or 2 deg below house temperature. I find I can saturate co2 more without the fish noticing if I use the fan.
Also, if my filter motor dies while I'm away from home, the fan helps keep the water oxygenated and circulated. The fish still go to the top, but its better than if I didn't have a fan.

Yeah-- keep knocking on the wood- that must be helping somehow.

post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-09-2019, 01:06 AM
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discusluv View Post
Yeah-- keep knocking on the wood- that must be helping somehow.
Maybe not so much wood knocking, as buying cheap discus. The ones I have with the best color and shape were only $30 and $40 (3") from a local breeder/wholesaler. So not a heart-wrencher.

Come to think of it, when I had a discus tank for 3 years, almost 20 years ago, it was open top and I didn't have any instances of jump outs.

I've had oscars and arawanas jump out when I fed them, and netted them back in. Lost a beta and a cardinal tetra more recently. That's about it. I don't see a problem yet.
I guess if I had $250 show discus, I'd be more concerned.
But like you said, I'd just buy replacements as they go (if it was infrequent).

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode