A couple of questions about moving to a bigger aquarium - The Planted Tank Forum
 6Likes
  • 1 Post By Maryland Guppy
  • 1 Post By GraphicGr8s
  • 1 Post By tamsin
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By PlantedRich
  • 1 Post By caique

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 12:57 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

PTrader: (0/0%)
A couple of questions about moving to a bigger aquarium

Hello,

Since I don't have space for multiple tanks I've recently purchased a 45 gallon tank on super sale to upgrade from my older established 29 gallon. The old tank has Malaysian Trumpet Snails I'd rather not bring over into the new tank. I have fresh clean sand for substrate so I'm not worried about that. I guess my question is - How can I best clean off plants to make sure I don't bring over the pests? I'm also moving my canister filter from the old aquarium to the new one. I'll have to do a through cleaning on that as well to make sure I'm not bringing snails over too. How bad is that going to affect the cycle? Should I do extra water changes once I complete the move?

I have several black neon tetras, glow light tetras, cherry barbs, and platties. I also have 4 amano shrimp and 2 nerite snails. Once everything is looking okay I plan to add several julii cories.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 01:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (15/100%)
Quote:
Originally Posted by evil8 View Post
Hello,
How can I best clean off plants to make sure I don't bring over the pests?
During a recent tank cleanup I performed the following.
A sort of bucket brigade shall we say.

Bucket #1 = Tap water chlorinated, no prime or safe used.
Dipped plants shook etc... tried to remove any debris.

Bucket #2 = 20:1 Tap water:H2O2
Dropped plants in for under 3 minutes, again more debris removed.

Bucket #3 = Tank water with a WC dose of Excel for 2 gallon tank.
Dropped plants in to remove any algae/debris possible, 10 minutes maybe.

Bucket #4 = New water as prepared for tank w/ferts to my liking.
Plants remained here for 24 hours until they went back to clean tank.

This did not remove everything I am sure but put a hurting on the pond snails.
evil8 likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Growing is not that difficult.
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:22 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (10/100%)
New substrate. Cleaned filter. You're going to be cycling that tank just like a new one.
Don't clean the filter at all. Fill the tank. Clean the plants best you can. Run the filter on that tank for a day (or two). Add the fish back in. Should be like nothing changed.

Snails? Get assassin snails. No more snail problem.

I am in the process of setting up a bunch of tanks. I want to transfer fish I have from their current tank into the new setups. Problem I have is duckweed. I can't stand the stuff and none of the fish I have eats it. I have a plan of attack to get rid of it in the transfer but nothing I am going to do will start a new cycle like your plan would. Your BB is in that filter and the substrate. Since you're not reusing that substrate you need to use that "dirty" filter. Let it run for at least a couple of weeks to get some BB on the substrate then clean it.

Either way you need to be checking ammonia levels on the new setup for at least a week.
evil8 likes this.

Dilution is the solution for the pollution.
Quote me as saying I was misquoted.
Once you get rid of integrity the rest is a piece of cake.
Here's to our wives and sweethearts - may they never meet.
If you agreed with me we'd both be right.

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 02:28 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Easiest thing might be to use an anti-snail treatment - not sure what you'll have available there. You could stick the plants and filter running on the new tank (otherwise empty) and treat it, then do a 100% water change and add the substrate/plant plants and move your inhabitants over. That way no filter cleaning required.
evil8 likes this.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 03:45 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maryland Guppy View Post
During a recent tank cleanup I performed the following.
A sort of bucket brigade shall we say.
Interesting. I'll do this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraphicGr8s
New substrate. Cleaned filter. You're going to be cycling that tank just like a new one.
That's what I was afraid of.

Quote:
Get assassin snails. No more snail problem.
I can't find any local and it's been too cold to mail order. If the issue continues I'll have to do it in the spring.

Quote:
Either way you need to be checking ammonia levels on the new setup for at least a week.
Absolutely!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamsin
Easiest thing might be to use an anti-snail treatment - not sure what you'll have available there. You could stick the plants and filter running on the new tank (otherwise empty) and treat it, then do a 100% water change and add the substrate/plant plants and move your inhabitants over. That way no filter cleaning required.
I just read something similar on another thread. That might be a solution.

Good ideas everyone! Thanks. This is going to be interesting transferring things over, cycling the tank and making sure everything remains healthy. I wish I had the room to keep both tanks, but I already got read the riot act by my better half. LOL!
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-05-2019, 07:43 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Got soft media like sponge in the filter? Most likely there will be snails and very likely eggs in the soft media so reusing that without totally clearing it, will get you new snails! One of the things I really, really do NOT like about trumpet snails is the way the tiny ones hide in the sponge making it a real trauma to squeeze out without gouging the hand!
For clearing them totally, and nothing else really help much, I would have to look at a total loss of the cycle, ditch the soft media and acquire different old media with bacteria from some local source of I had none of my own. Mine came in with a bucket of fish and there were none showing in the bucket but a few months later, they were in all my tanks.
evil8 likes this.
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 04:55 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlantedRich View Post
Got soft media like sponge in the filter? Most likely there will be snails and very likely eggs in the soft media so reusing that without totally clearing it, will get you new snails! One of the things I really, really do NOT like about trumpet snails is the way the tiny ones hide in the sponge making it a real trauma to squeeze out without gouging the hand!
For clearing them totally, and nothing else really help much, I would have to look at a total loss of the cycle, ditch the soft media and acquire different old media with bacteria from some local source of I had none of my own. Mine came in with a bucket of fish and there were none showing in the bucket but a few months later, they were in all my tanks.
I learned the hard way about squeezing the sponges. LOL! Oh well, I'll either treat the tank for snails or live with snails. I've been keeping them in check for several months now. They do serve a function. I just find them annoying. Perhaps I'll get an assassin snail in the spring by mail order.
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 05:30 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
YUP! I found the easy way was to learn to ignore them! Kind of like algae? It's almost always there so the question becomes how we react to the situation. I tend to fight some and ignore some, of both. But after having MTS for a while, I cleaned a tank and decided to ditch the pool sand as it had about 25 % snail shells! The ass asin may kill them but it doesn't remove the shells.
Ken Keating1 likes this.
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 09:59 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (3/100%)
You only have malaysian trumpet snails? They don't lay eggs! The new snails are born live- very tiny but they are visible. Most of them will be in your substrate, it's possible some got into your filter but personally I guess I'm lucky I never had that happen. Do you have fine-leaved plants? if it's all strong stuff like anubias, java fern etc. you can rinse the plants, run your fingers over them feel if there's bitty snails on it. Likewise can inspect your filter media without having to treat it harshly. I think your main issue will be if baby snails have gotten into any porous material like sponge in your canister. But if it's just a fraction of your filter media, perhaps squeeze that part out over the rest to preserve some of the bacteria, and replace just that part of the media if it's infiltrated with baby snails. Just an idea. Personally I like those snails.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
|
|
|
|
post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 12:56 AM

I had invasion of little white snails. So I bought 20 Assassin Snails and the little white snails were GONE...fast! Fast forward three years and a new 75 gallon tank that ended up with algae while cycling. I bought 10 Nerite snails which did an amazing job on the algae, but the assassin snails were sucking (eating) my Nerite snails!!! Since I no longer needed the Assassin snails, I went hunting in the substrate for every Assassin snail and moved them to another tank.

Assassin snails will eat the Nerite snails! They each are wonderful workers... one for algae, the other for little white pest snails. They just canít be in the same tank at the same time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-08-2019, 01:03 PM Thread Starter
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ09
it's possible some got into your filter...
There are a ton of tiny snails all over in the canister.

Quote:
Originally Posted by
I bought 20 Assassin Snails and the little white snails were GONE...fast!
I don't think I need 20 but a few of them would be nice. I'll move my nerite into my 10 gallon beta tank. They are cool, but all the eggs over everything gets kind of old.
post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-10-2019, 05:39 AM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

PTrader: (16/100%)
If your using fine sand then get a course net and run in through the sand and sift, all the Malaysian trumpets will stay in, this works for me.
evil8 likes this.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode