Need help or guidance - 3-4 week cycling algae and nh3 - The Planted Tank Forum
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By jaz419

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Need help or guidance - 3-4 week cycling algae and nh3

I am a little confuse on next steps now.

Not first tank but let's consider it as I was a kid with no experience back then.

My ammonia is still over 4ppm. Ph is 6.6 I think. Using api test kit.
Didn't test anything else cause I don't see any reason.

After 3 days I got a white bloom and everything went back clear.
Plants were groing, and still are.
Dosing flourish every 2-3 days.

Last week I started getting more algae, i did a +-75% water change. And reduced light time to 6h with no sunrise or sunshine (12 to 6pm). The tank is in the living room and does receive sunlight but curtains are usually close during day except weekend and winter been dark here in Canada last weeks.

Now I still have lot of algae. On my substrate, rocks, etc. And on my plants and moss too.
What should I do?

I was read to not do pwc until cycle finish and that algae are not necessarily bad as it consume nh3 and that if plant is growing, it's good.

You can see my aquascape and first post with pictures.

https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?url...5&share_type=t

I will also update a picture as of now and location with the windows.

What should I do?
I am also thinking of doing diy co2 or paintball co2 but will take few weeks if I order from China. I don't want to spend much right now as I loss my job and currently looking.

Sent from my LG-M470 using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Planted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Watever View Post
I am a little confuse on next steps now.

Not first tank but let's consider it as I was a kid with no experience back then.

My ammonia is still over 4ppm. Ph is 6.6 I think. Using api test kit.
Didn't test anything else cause I don't see any reason.

After 3 days I got a white bloom and everything went back clear.
Plants were groing, and still are.
Dosing flourish every 2-3 days.

Last week I started getting more algae, i did a +-75% water change. And reduced light time to 6h with no sunrise or sunshine (12 to 6pm). The tank is in the living room and does receive sunlight but curtains are usually close during day except weekend and winter been dark here in Canada last weeks.

Now I still have lot of algae. On my substrate, rocks, etc. And on my plants and moss too.
What should I do?

I was read to not do pwc until cycle finish and that algae are not necessarily bad as it consume nh3 and that if plant is growing, it's good.

You can see my aquascape and first post with pictures.

I will also update a picture as of now and location with the windows.

What should I do?
I am also thinking of doing diy co2 or paintball co2 but will take few weeks if I order from China. I don't want to spend much right now as I loss my job and currently looking.

If you're dosing ammonia daily, there's no need. Just continue to monitor it and look for it to start dropping. After it drops to zero, add it again to see if it drops back to zero the next day. Then start monitoring nitrites.

Flourish is only micros, you need a source of macro nutrients too. Need N,P,K.

What's your water source? It needs to be properly remineralized if you're using RO or RO/DI. A GH booster will add important nutrients to the water which you won't get enough of using flourish and a macro fert.

6 hours of full strength light is probably still too much. My tank is heavily planted and about 1.5 years old. My light only has a 4 hour peak, along with a 1.5 your ramp on either side. Additionally, and this will depend on the strength of your light, your peak intensity might need to be only 50% of what your light is capable of. Right now, my light has that 4 hours of peak intensity set to about 60% of what the light can put out.

CO2 will help your plants thrive and outcompete algae. The sooner you get that working properly the better, especially if you're trying to carpet.

My tank is by a window like yours... It's not a big deal in my opinion... Yeah you'll just have to account for or when trying to find a balance with everything.

Lastly... Your tank is pretty new... Most people's tanks go through a period of algae and diatoms. As long as you take the time to find the right balance, you should be able to get it under control. Once your tank is cycled you can add shrimp and they'll help with your algae too.
Ken Keating1 likes this.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-03-2019, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Should I do water change? And how to remove what is there?

Carpet was growing good, probably due yo light and flourish, probably just like the algae like it too.

I have 2 fluval sprectrum 3.0 to cover the full tank. (18" wide). I reduced to 5 hours and 75% capacity.

Ammonia come from the soil I am using and I added bacteria from reputed planted fish store as suggested.

I should stop dosing flourish?

Thank you very much for the help too.

Last edited by Darkblade48; 02-04-2019 at 07:59 PM. Reason: Please use the edit function for back to back posts to keep threads cleaner

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-04-2019, 03:12 PM
Planted Member

Need help or guidance - 3-4 week cycling algae and nh3

You can do a water change if you want. I'm not sure it'll help... Also not sure it'll hurt though.

Since you're trying to get you're bacteria colony established, you'll just have to make sure you have sufficient ammonia to continue to feed it for the time being. Some of that should be coming from your substrate. If you do too many water changes, then you may end up needing to add ammonia. Your plants shouldn't mind ammonia or lack of it. The cycling is mainly important for livestock.

You can keep going with the Flourish... But you really need a significant source of nitrogen, phosphorus and potassium (macros).

And your water source is important too. You need to know if you're using tap water, what the hardness is. And if it's too low OR if you're using RO/DI water, you need to add a GH booster to keep that in range as well.

In order for your plants to thrive, you NEED all of these things in check:
Macro nutrients
Micro nutrients
GH
Lighting
Carbon source

Once you start to strike a good balance with everything, your plants should begin to out compete the algae. Then with a little help from you, going in and removing whatever you can, changing the water regularly and some help from algae eating livestock, you should get it under control. I had algae problems for the first couple months while my tank was new too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode