Scape and stock ideas - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:33 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

PTrader: (0/0%)
Scape and stock ideas

I知 picking up a custom 25g long tank today. Was wanting suggestions on scaping and stock. I wanna do low tech and The substrate will be sand and gravel. So I was thinking some river stones that are readily available by me and some interesting driftwood the contents of the tank are not included

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:17 PM
Planted Tank Obsessed

The river stones you have here are nicely varied in shape and size. I would keep to one type of wood as a tip until you're more experienced in scaping. Thicker pieces of wood sounds well suited for these rocks. I'd stay away from cholla as they tend to be short straight pieces without much character. I'd go for Hornwood/Pacific wood or Malaysian wood(if you can find nice longer pieces).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:18 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by swarley View Post
The river stones you have here are nicely varied in shape and size. I would keep to one type of wood as a tip until you're more experienced in scaping. Thicker pieces of wood sounds well suited for these rocks. I'd stay away from cholla as they tend to be short straight pieces without much character. I'd go for Hornwood/Pacific wood or Malaysian wood(if you can find nice longer pieces).

Oh forgot to say that none of the stuff in the tank is going to be included this is from the sellers pic

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 04:49 PM
Planted Tank Enthusiast

Glad to hear that's not your photo - the corners hanging off the stand are not helping my anxiety!

River stones like those pictured would be very nice, although I might go with fewer large ones than they have there. Perhaps you could add some sticks and vallisneria, which could look nice with a light-coloured sand/gravel substrate. It would be nice to see something that darts about in there - perhaps some sort of danio or pseudomugil rainbow species.

Not sure if any of those ideas help at all, but I've been wanting to set up a river-type tank like that for a while

Journal
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
Algae Grower

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thelongsnail View Post
Glad to hear that's not your photo - the corners hanging off the stand are not helping my anxiety!

River stones like those pictured would be very nice, although I might go with fewer large ones than they have there. Perhaps you could add some sticks and vallisneria, which could look nice with a light-coloured sand/gravel substrate. It would be nice to see something that darts about in there - perhaps some sort of danio or pseudomugil rainbow species.

Not sure if any of those ideas help at all, but I've been wanting to set up a river-type tank like that for a while

Well actually the tank will be hanging over like in the pic, but not really. The black under the tank is a board he attached to the stand and painted black

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 08:57 PM
Algae Grower

Maybe in the future you could add some floating plants,such as water lettuce (just make sure it doesn't overgrow) for fish I'd say a school of atleast 6 kuhli loaches,they are pretty active and interesting to look at
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 02-07-2019, 10:06 PM
Planted Tank Guru

PTrader: (2/100%)
Pretty much an open slate so depends on what you might like?
But I often set the tank to best suit the fish I want. Got any preferred ideas there as that also has lots of open potential. For any, I would start with some basics like remove the eggcrate on the bottom as it is not needed. There is no real value as it is too weak to add strength and rocks can be stacked totally full with failing. Cichlid folks do it all the time! It does keep scratches off the bottom but that is an area that is no worry as the scratches are always covered which is not true of the eggcrate in many cases. Consider how to deal with it after roots growing in around and through it and you want to move a plant? Just a nuisance in my book. Second I would paint the back of the tank now while easy and as a way to hide the ugliness of various filters, wires, and tubes.
I would want to add a bit more color and if I was fond of the rounded, I would look to a variety of smaller and differing colors. Landscape supply places will give a lot of choices if that type is not easy to find locally. I do not favor chollas it can only look unnatural as it it a desert item which I have never seen in any lake or river!
But those are simply my ideas of what I would do and you may have a totally different plan, so go with what feels right and adjust when needed.

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode