Help Needed, New Tank - The Planted Tank Forum

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-30-2019, 04:25 PM Thread Starter

PTrader: (0/0%)
Help Needed, New Tank

Hey Everyone,
I've been lurking on here for some time, tried to start a low tech 125g last year but the turtle going into his new larger tank had other plans (I know, I know, most turtles and plants don't mix but I had to try...). Thanks for those who take the time to read and provide me any feedback as I'm sure this will be a long post in order to give the full backstory.

In December I started a new 56g "cube" tank for my office. Substrate is eco-complete, driftwood was sourced from a local lake. Having been years since I started a new tank (75g to 125g transition I moved most of the water as well as the already established filters) I may have jumped the gun on this one and started stocking too early.
About a month after starting the tank (used API QuickStart as well as the bacteria supposedly in the eco-complete substrate) I saw what I thought was the nitrogen cycle start and complete... now I'm wondering if that was not the case. I planted dwarf hairgrass throughout and threw in 4 otos and 2 nerite snails to clean up the driftwood etc. about a week later I had a diatom explosion (bloom is an understatement), lights came on and everything was a rust brown color including the water column. I did a 50% water change so that the murky water didn't block out the light for the dhg. The dwg were completely coated in brown so I did my best to dust them off followed by another water change a few days later to help remove the lingering diatoms. The tank was still relatively cloudy though no visible particulates were in the water column. Prior to this the tank was never really that clear fyi.

Jump to this last Saturday, I picked up a small dragon stone, some red ludwigia, and another stem plant that I forget the name of but is pictured below. Also threw in about 15 ghost shrimp and 3 tiny guppy hitchhikers. Yesterday I noticed quite a few of the ludwigia leaves floating around and half of one of the other plants floating. The stem of the plant had turned to complete mush as well as one of the ludwigias... this morning 3 more of the ludwigia were complete mush and 3 more were on their way. I trimmed off the dying parts and replanted what was left but I need help as to why this is happening and hopefully salvage what I have left. If it's too late then I would like to at least fix the problem before adding more plants. The dhg is actually growing pretty well, will do better once co2 is added.

Tank Setup-
56g Marineland
Cascade 1500 canister filter (more filtration than needed but I had an extra one)
-Filter floss, coarse filter pad, bio-balls... removed carbon after 1 month as I wasn't sure if it would suck up ferts
Lighting- 2x Asta 120 can LED lights from amazon, 6500k, 5000lm running 10 hours/day
Dosing Flourish daily, Excel 2x per week
Co2 will hopefully be added soon, have everything but a tank, family member offered to give me a 8lb one in December but dragging their feet on it.
Water Parameters-
Ph 8.0-8.1 (tap is 8.8 and eco-complete raised that so I do 50% RO water during changes)
Ammonia and nitrites=0, Nitrates ~6.0ppm

I believe my lights are more than adequate but from online readings low lighting will cause this in stem plants. Is the cloudiness chocking out the plants? Thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20190130_093526.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	190.0 KB
ID:	876637  

Name:	20190130_093518.jpg
Size:	221.7 KB
ID:	876639  

Name:	20190130_093535.jpg
Size:	256.8 KB
ID:	876641  

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:15 AM
Planted Member

Help Needed, New Tank

Most people use a shorter photoperiod, especially on a new or sparsely planted tank.

My lights have a 4 hour peak with 1.5 hour ramp on either side of the peak... For a total of 7 hours. This is over a tank that is heavily planted and about 1.5 years old.

I'm not sure if that's what's causing your cloudy water issue, but there's a chance that it's algae and you're lighting period is not helping.

Could be that wood from the lake plays a role in the cloudy water.

Your plant melting issues...idk.... Hopefully someone else will chime in with some help there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-01-2019, 12:39 AM Thread Starter

Thanks, I'll adjust my time down to 8 hours and see how the tank reacts. I've read online (so it must be true) that a non-co2 tank needs a little more light. I just didn't want to under light and have the plants suffer.
My biggest question right now it's if I should do a large water change to clear up the tank a little bit or will that set me back?

Small update, I now have about 8 fry hanging out in the plants
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20190131_192141_1548984969935.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	128.7 KB
ID:	876763  

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 02-02-2019, 03:04 AM
Planted Member

Help Needed, New Tank

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brianhull75 View Post
I've read online (so it must be true) that a non-co2 tank needs a little more light. I just didn't want to under light and have the plants suffer.

I'd argue that if you're not running CO2 but you are bumping up the light, you're REALLY creating a good environment for algae growth.

Along with reducing photo period, you might want to reduce the light intensity as well. I failed to mention above that not only do I have my lighting set to only 4 hours at peak intensity, the peak intensity is set to about 50% of my lights overall capability.

And I don't think a water change will set you back any more. The plants shouldn't really mind water changes provided 1) you're using a good water source, and it's properly remineralized. 2) your fertilization schedule accommodates for the amount of nutrient rich water you're removing and then replacing with nutrient deficient water.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tags
None

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the The Planted Tank Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode